Gibson Brands Forums

"Epiphone by Gibson" headstock Sheraton owners club

I found an 88 E by G Sheraton on Craigs list. The pics look pretty good. Not sure about the value of these guitars.

Any idea on original price and what a decent resale should be?

Hi

I bought mine for 2700 swedish krona $375 and I consider one of the best guitar deals I have done.

Mine has a few slight nicks and knocks but nothing that stops me loving the guitar....In fact I think this particular Sheraton is all the better for it.....

I was willing to pay up to $625 if in immaculate condition with a case (that would be a fair price here in Sweden...mine did not come with a case).

PM any of the 9 owners listed for further info. If the one you are looking at is late 88 it may not have the easier access via the bridge route which makes these great guitars for easier modification....

Good luck

Thanks cooper; I think the guy is asking way to much. He's asking what I would expect an Elite or JLH to go for.

($1500)

That is ridiculous......second hand guitars fetch a good price here in Sweden and $625 would be the absolute limit for a mint condition cased E-by-G completely stock and unaltered.

I am sure and if you look though this thread you will find a beautiful white E-by-G went for around a $500....(the only white one I have ever come across)

I will check that now....the Baccy Burst in the first link went for $749 and the white one in the second link for $520

Tobacco Burst E-by-G on ebay

white E-by-G on ebay

So your seller is living in cuckoo-land diverden.....

Hi:

I am trying to identify my guitar and found this forum. It's an "Epiphone by Gibson" 335-style. Any information about it is appreciated -- model name, year, history, etc. I've had it since 1993.

Thanks,

Michael

mp7.jpg

There are 8 images in that directory:

www.kerflooey.com/epiphone/

mp1.jpg

mp8.jpg

Hi:

I am trying to identify my guitar and found this forum. It's an "Epiphone by Gibson" 335-style. Any information about it is appreciated -- model name' date=' year, history, etc. I've had it since 1993.

Thanks,

Michael

[img']http://www.kerflooey.com/epiphone/mp7.jpg[/img]

There are 8 images in that directory:

www.kerflooey.com/epiphone/

mp1.jpg

mp8.jpg

Hi egr

if read through this thread you find feaaatures that should be able give you an idea if it is 86,87,88 it is one of those years is there a number sticker on the back of the headstock..?

Hi:

Thanks' date=' the number is 880901890.

Is this a "Sheraton"? I couldn't figure that out from the previous messages!

Thanks,

m[/quote']

yes it is a Sheraton II but with some unique features

When I saw you Truss Rod Cover I assumed it was an 88

month 09

unit number01890

I would guess if you take out your bridge pickpup any time you might not have the access of the earlier models if you go through the thread you will understand. Another late 88 does not have that feature...

Thanks, cooper.

I like playing this guitar very much, but may I ask why people are talking about it so many years later? I mean, is there something that makes it more "special" than other more expensive guitars?

m

Thanks' date=' cooper.

I like playing this guitar very much, but may I ask why people are talking about it so many years later? I mean, is there something that makes it more "special" than other more expensive guitars?

m[/quote']

No it is a plain old well made Samick Sheraton from the period 86 to 88 as mentioned some features differ. Those of us that own them know they are a solidly built fine examples and in my case I think the E-by-G is the Sheraton for me.....

I am currently customising mine and should be finished at the end of this week goes to guitar tech on tuesday for the fitting of new pickups and harness and I will post when all is done.

Just enjoy your fine example of a Sheraton II that is all it is...

Well, nothing too much "special", just "right". No more "special" than the Sherry already is. [thumbup]

The specs are only a little better than a new Sherry, but the level of craftsmanship put into this particular run seems to be above par. Fit and finish and overall quality are above average and the couple I have actually laid hands on have been high quality examples of the instrument. I have seen some cruddy E by G guitars, but non of them were Sheratons. They were S types or acoustics. And few of them period, good or bad.

Does that make the E by G Sheratons special? Sadly in a way, yes, because the seem to be on a whole what the Sheraton could ad should be, a damn fine guitar.

Were they meant to be better, a top notch interpretation? I don't know, I would like to think EVERY guitar embodies that, but I know manufacturers don't always see things that way, they also have a bottom line to look at and want to make profit.

But congrats and welcome to the club!

• 3 weeks later...

i believe this is an '86 sheraton. in real good shape, bought it recently because i was impressed with the quality, felt nice in the hand. i joined this forum just to share this

_c838034_image_0.jpg

_c838035_image_0.jpg

_c838036_image_0.jpg

wonderful guitar, pickups aren't exactly to my liking, but i prefer to keep the guitar stock. also, i'll give a bonus shot of my '66 epiphone EA 300 RVT

_c781212_image_0.jpg

cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi guys I'm new here

Have a Sheraton by Gibson, I bought it about 1988 in Switzerland I played it eight years,

now many years resting in a case. It is quite worn, has a good tone.

Tobacco burst, numbrer 80205300.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

lol, the fabric of space time begins to unravel.

Hi folks,

recent forum member so just getting used to looking around at the posts. I've owned my Epi Sheraton since 1996, it was built that year and comes from the Samick factory in Korea (as far as I have been able research) which I understand was a good period for manufacturing them. It certainly is well made and has spent more of the last 14 years in a case than being played. My mid years were time poor and I have to admit guitar playing went on the shelf from the age of 16 to around the last couple of years. Family grown up now, a bit more time to get into the guitar. So I'm still a bit of a newbie, but always kept my interest, just the skills suffered. My Sheraton is all original, with the Gibson truss rod cover, Ser No. S6079735, bought in the UK when I lived there, now living in Australia. I'm in the process of giving it an upgrade/makeover in the next 6 months, pups, wiring, pots etc. Will post some pics of the process when completed. I still work away so not always able to check the forum out. Will try to become more regular in future. A couple of pics of it taken today, all the best, Mike

Hi folks,

recent forum member so just getting used to looking around at the posts. I've owned my Epi Sheraton since 1996, it was built that year and comes from the Samick factory in Korea (as far as I have been able research) which I understand was a good period for manufacturing them. It certainly is well made and has spent more of the last 14 years in a case than being played. My mid years were time poor and I have to admit guitar playing went on the shelf from the age of 16 to around the last couple of years. Family grown up now, a bit more time to get into the guitar. So I'm still a bit of a newbie, but always kept my interest, just the skills suffered. My Sheraton is all original, with the Gibson truss rod cover, Ser No. S6079735, bought in the UK when I lived there, now living in Australia. I'm in the process of giving it an upgrade/makeover in the next 6 months, pups, wiring, pots etc. Will post some pics of the process when completed. I still work away so not always able to check the forum out. Will try to become more regular in future. A couple of pics of it taken today, all the best, Mike

Hi Mike,

And a big welcome to another Aussie... There are a few of us here [thumbup]

As you can see from my 'Lust List' below, I have been keen to lay hands on a beautiful Sheraton like yours for some time.

You probably already know this but, specifically, your geet was manufactured in the Samick plant (the S in the serial number) in 1996 (the 9) in July (the 07) with the last four digits being the production run number.

Hope that assists... & what mods are you considering?

Cheers,

Hi Mike,

And a big welcome to another Aussie... There are a few of us here [thumbup]

As you can see from my 'Lust List' below, I have been keen to lay hands on a beautiful Sheraton like yours for some time.

You probably already know this but, specifically, your geet was manufactured in the Samick plant (the S in the serial number) in 1996 (the 9) in July (the 07) with the last four digits being the production run number.

Hope that assists... & what mods are you considering?

Cheers,

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the info, bits I've got for an upgrad are: Golden Age pups from StewMac (I considered the Gibson 57s but thought I'd try these), RS Works vintage upgrade pots and switches, Grover vintage keystone tuners. Then a nice set-up and anything else that it might need at a good tech shop here in Victoria. I'll check with them whether a retro-fit bridge is worth doing. Some may say, leave it alone, as original, but somehow with the research I've done, I think It will be worth it. Thanks again, I'll post an update with pics when it's finished, probably after Dec now, busy on lots of work stuff to keep the $ coming in. All the best, Mike

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the info, bits I've got for an upgrad are: Golden Age pups from StewMac (I considered the Gibson 57s but thought I'd try these), RS Works vintage upgrade pots and switches, Grover vintage keystone tuners. Then a nice set-up and anything else that it might need at a good tech shop here in Victoria. I'll check with them whether a retro-fit bridge is worth doing. Some may say, leave it alone, as original, but somehow with the research I've done, I think It will be worth it. Thanks again, I'll post an update with pics when it's finished, probably after Dec now, busy on lots of work stuff to keep the $ coming in. All the best, Mike

HI EVERYONE ,IV JUS GOT A EPI SHERATON ,BUT HAD THE PIC GUARD MISSING BUT I THINK I PREFER THEM WITH OUT IT ANYWAY,

IS THERE ANY CHANCE ANY CUDGIVE ME INFO ON MINE AND IF ITS ORIGINAL,IT FEELS AND SOUNDS ORIGINAL TO , AS U CAN NORMALLY TELL CHEAP COPIES STRAIGHT AWAY.

I THINK ITS FROM 86' IN KOREA , WHAT SORTA VALUE IS IT.

AS U CAN SEE THE SCRIPT IS DIFFERENT TO,

PLEAS HELPI CANT FIND INFO ANYWHERE

THANX IN ADVANCE

post-26201-063736000 1286750224_thumb.jpeg

post-26201-043500000 1286750235_thumb.jpeg

Hi,

I just bought an Epiphone by Gibson. There is an quite amazing story to it. The guy who sold the guitar got it as a present from friends and relatives on his 40 years birtday in 1989. On the day of his birthday he played the guitar once. Then he put it back in its case. There it has been resting until yesterday when i bought, with case, original instructions and adjusting key. So I bought a new guitar now scratches or any other annoying things. Question arises wich year was it made? The serial number is not complete. The label isn´t complete. the numbers that are on the label is 1211235 perhaps someone here has a cloue to which year this could relate to. I will try to upload some photos of the guitar.

/Mats

post-26268-024345300 1286980966_thumb.jpg

post-26268-005591700 1286980985_thumb.jpg

Here comes the label

/matspost-26268-049612100 1286984473_thumb.jpg

That's going to be a tough one - the country of origin is at the beginning of the number, then usually the year, month, day, and unit no.

All I can say is that it was probably unit no. 1235 that year. It also could have been made on December 11, or November 12.

The rest is probably lost for good unless there are any other clues with the paperwork or on the back of the pickups....

That's going to be a tough one - the country of origin is at the beginning of the number, then usually the year, month, day, and unit no.

All I can say is that it was probably unit no. 1235 that year. It also could have been made on December 11, or November 12.

The rest is probably lost for good unless there are any other clues with the paperwork or on the back of the pickups....

/quote]

Thanks for the help, No there is nothing to be found in the documentation, So I will leave it to rest. considering the text on the Epiphone by Gibson on the head it´s probly a late model.

Regarding the guitar the build quality is really good. But as said before the electrics could have ben better. The pick ups sound ok but I think the pots needs some attention/changing it feels like all or nothing. Any suggestions on what would be the cure?

/Mats

Thanks for the help, No there is nothing to be found in the documentation, So I will leave it to rest. considering the text on the Epiphone by Gibson on the head it´s probly a late model.

Mats, pretty much the whole Sheraton II history is contained in this link: http://www.thefret.n...read.php?t=9052

Regarding the guitar the build quality is really good. But as said before the electrics could have been better.

That's the general conclusion about these guitars, but many folks are happy with them stock. Maybe it just needs some maintenance, it is 20+ years old after all.

The pick ups sound ok but I think the pots needs some attention/changing it feels like all or nothing. Any suggestions on what would be the cure?

Check the DIY thread at the top of the lounge page. Cleaning pots is relatively easy - completely rewiring a semi-hollow body guitar is fairly involved.