Gibson Brands Forums

"Epiphone by Gibson" headstock Sheraton owners club

Hi,

I just bought an Epiphone by Gibson. There is an quite amazing story to it. The guy who sold the guitar got it as a present from friends and relatives on his 40 years birtday in 1989. On the day of his birthday he played the guitar once. Then he put it back in its case. There it has been resting until yesterday when i bought, with case, original instructions and adjusting key. So I bought a new guitar now scratches or any other annoying things. Question arises wich year was it made? The serial number is not complete. The label isn´t complete. the numbers that are on the label is 1211235 perhaps someone here has a cloue to which year this could relate to. I will try to upload some photos of the guitar.

/Mats

HI,

JUST AD A MAIL OFF GIBSON ,SAYING THA MY GUITAR IS 100% ORIGINAL ,

AND CANT CONFIRM IF ITS MADE IN JAPAN OR KOREA ,AS THERE ARE NO RECORDS KEPT

FROM THA LONG AGO , AND ALSO SENT ME SPECS ,

GIBSON ALSO SAID NOT TO TAKE ANY INFO PRODUCED BY SITES SUCH AS GUITARPROJECT AS 100% CORRECT.

WHICH IS OBVIOUS REALLY CAUSE IF EPIPHONE GIBSON AINT GOT THE INFO NO ONE REALLY IS.

JUS HAPPY NOW AS I KNOW ITS AUTHENTIC ,

IV ALSO BEEN TOLD THA MY GUITAR WAS 1 OF 50 PRODUCED WITH THA SCRIPT,BY AND EXPERT.

That's going to be a tough one - the country of origin is at the beginning of the number, then usually the year, month, day, and unit no.

All I can say is that it was probably unit no. 1235 that year. It also could have been made on December 11, or November 12.

The rest is probably lost for good unless there are any other clues with the paperwork or on the back of the pickups....

BEST THING TO DO IS MAIL GIBSON EPIPHONE WITH PLENTY OF PICS OF YOUR GUITAR ,PERHAPS THEY WILL HELP ,AS THEY HELPED ME,

Hi everyone,

I own one as well.

The sticker is a bit damaged so I can't read with certainty the whole serial number:

SL705(0/8/9?)(9?)341

I guess from the thread that it was made in 1987.

Do you guys also have the 'SL' letters at the beginning of the serial?

Do you know what this means?

Cheers,

David

Mats, pretty much the whole Sheraton II history is contained in this link: http://www.thefret.n...read.php?t=9052

That's the general conclusion about these guitars, but many folks are happy with them stock. Maybe it just needs some maintenance, it is 20+ years old after all.

Check the DIY thread at the top of the lounge page. Cleaning pots is relatively easy - completely rewiring a semi-hollow body guitar is fairly involved.

Thanks for the information, the Sheraton history was very interesting to read, No I don´t think there´s something that needs to be cleaned, the guitar has stayed in it´s case since 1989, I have done some adjusting on the pickup heights and I think I have got it as good as it gets. I have been playing the guitar a bit now, and I´m starting to like the mellow tone coming out of it, perfect for blues, but since I would like to play some "happier" tones too, maybe in the future I will change the electrics on it, meanwhile I will just play it, It´s a very nice guitar to play on and I´m getting more and more fond of it. The craftmanship is just beautiful, It´s a keeper. /Mats

HI,

JUST AD A MAIL OFF GIBSON ,SAYING THA MY GUITAR IS 100% ORIGINAL ,

AND CANT CONFIRM IF ITS MADE IN JAPAN OR KOREA ,AS THERE ARE NO RECORDS KEPT

FROM THA LONG AGO , AND ALSO SENT ME SPECS ,

GIBSON ALSO SAID NOT TO TAKE ANY INFO PRODUCED BY SITES SUCH AS GUITARPROJECT AS 100% CORRECT.

WHICH IS OBVIOUS REALLY CAUSE IF EPIPHONE GIBSON AINT GOT THE INFO NO ONE REALLY IS.

JUS HAPPY NOW AS I KNOW ITS AUTHENTIC ,

IV ALSO BEEN TOLD THA MY GUITAR WAS 1 OF 50 PRODUCED WITH THA SCRIPT,BY AND EXPERT.

Hi, I´m just curios to know, Was there only 50 guitars made with the Epiphone by Gibson head inlay? That doesn´t sound much for a three year production time, but if it´s true this means that they are really rare, did you get that confirmed by Gibson? /Mats

Hi, I´m just curios to know, Was there only 50 guitars made with the Epiphone by Gibson head inlay? That doesn´t sound much for a three year production time, but if it´s true this means that they are really rare, did you get that confirmed by Gibson? /Mats

I think he meant 50 of the ones with his unusual headstock script.

EpibyGibsonHEadstock.jpg

ONLY 50 WITH THE 'script' OF MINE, I SUPPOSE THERE WERE LOADS MADE WITH THE STANDARD EPIPHONE BY GIBSON HEADSTOCKS, IN THE 80'S THEY PLAYED AROUND A BIT WITH DIFFERENT STYLE HEADSTOCKS,

SOME BLOKE WHOS A LUTHIER TOLD ME ,THERE WAS ONLY 50 MADE, I HAVE EMAILS FROM GIBSON SAYING ITS ORIGINAL BUT CANNOT PUT A PRECISE DATE ON IT,

(AND THATS COMING FROM GIBSON THEMSELVES) ALSO TOLD ME NOT TO USE SITES SUCH AS GUITARDATA BASE AS THEY ARE INACCURATE.

• 5 weeks later...

I own a 1986 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton II. It's tobacco burst. The serial number is still intact. I don't have any pics of it right now but I'll post some soon. There are some videos of my playing it on youtube.com. Just search "Stop Counting Stars".

I thought there were quite a few owners of these Samick built Epiphone Sheratons with the

ebg.jpg

headstock on this site.

I was wrong.

We have 6,677 registered forum members and have had 5,389 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 9 proven owners of "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons on this forum.

1986 E-by-G's

NaturalScience2112 (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 2 (tobacco, sn:6066698))

Musikron (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 1 (natural, sn:6094580))

1987 E-by-G's

JoeSamick (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 3 (tobacco, sn:70105418))

StevieD (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 8 (tobacco, sn:71107775))

Albannach (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 6 (tobacco, sn:71108446))

1988 E-by-G's

Toredown (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 5 (tobacco, sn:80202658))

hilleri(2) (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 9 (natural, sn:880603292)

slawek (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 4 (tobacco, sn:880802010))

missing serial therefore 1986 to 1988 E-by-G's

hilleri (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 7 (natural (yellowed), sn:XXXXXXXX)...probably 1988

who own "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons (samick build 1986-1988) with the

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Please if anyone else knows of anyone else who owns one, or sees one for sale, drop me a line.

to be included in this list we need photographs of your guitar especially the headstock back and front

OK - picked it up today! I may have mentioned this guitar earlier in the thread but the stars finally aligned and I was able to buy it for a great price. It's in excellent condition except for the missing pickguard. It also appears that the neck pickup bobbin may be shrinking or deformed or something as the polepieces don't align properly with the cover - still sounds good though. Anyone else experience this issue?

Serial number label on this one is missing though, so sorry I can't register it here!

From what I understand, there were no Epiphone cases available when the original owner bought it, so he bought a real brown 80's Gibson USA case for it as well, with the pink plush lining and shroud.

80e7d14b.jpg

150ccaf4.jpg

02fde767.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey it's great to see this thread! I am an owner - I have an '87 apparently (thanks to the research posted on this board). I always wondered about the origin/birthyear of this great guitar - the serial number sticker starts w/ a 71 - I had thought for some time it might be a 1971... guess not. Oh well. Mine is also unique as it's stamped SEC at the top of the back of the headstock (above the sticker). Assuming that means factory 2nd. Never liked the original pickups and it has a set of Seymour Duncan Blues humbuckers. Love it. Had a gold bigsby for a while but sold it.

Anyway, thanks again!

-Dave

Hi!

I bought my Sheraton (used) in the early 1990s. It still plays like new. Here are some pix. The serial number fell off so I taped it to a card for my records. Am I in the club?

BuzzBuzz

I thought there were quite a few owners of these Samick built Epiphone Sheratons with the

ebg.jpg

headstock on this site.

I was wrong.

We have 6,677 registered forum members and have had 5,389 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 9 proven owners of "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons on this forum.

1986 E-by-G's

NaturalScience2112 (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 2 (tobacco, sn:6066698))

Musikron (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 1 (natural, sn:6094580))

1987 E-by-G's

JoeSamick (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 3 (tobacco, sn:70105418))

StevieD (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 8 (tobacco, sn:71107775))

Albannach (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 6 (tobacco, sn:71108446))

1988 E-by-G's

Toredown (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 5 (tobacco, sn:80202658))

hilleri(2) (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 9 (natural, sn:880603292)

slawek (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 4 (tobacco, sn:880802010))

missing serial therefore 1986 to 1988 E-by-G's

hilleri (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 7 (natural (yellowed), sn:XXXXXXXX)...probably 1988

who own "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons (samick build 1986-1988) with the

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Please if anyone else knows of anyone else who owns one, or sees one for sale, drop me a line.

to be included in this list we need photographs of your guitar especially the headstock back and front

post-27779-064023700 1291998844_thumb.jpg

post-27779-079895300 1291998875_thumb.jpg

post-27779-040752800 1291998848_thumb.jpg

post-27779-044944700 1291999030_thumb.jpg

SO glad I stumbled on this thread! I recently purchased one of these guitars, not really because I needed another guitar, but because I was looking for a decent cheap hollow body. The crazy headstock was just icing on the cake! It's got a tobacco burst finish and gold hardware. I was really curious about its lineage, and a little bit of searching didn't turn up much. The man I bought it from had already done some research, and he found a sticker with the serial number 893097 inside the body of the guitar (but nothing on the headstock). He made a call to Gibson, and after a description of the guitar, case, and serial number, they told him it was made in 1967. Hence my confusion. Everyone else's seems to be made in the 80s, which makes me think there was a misunderstanding? Maybe someone else here can help clear the confusion. On another note, I had no idea I was buying into such an exclusive club! Pretty cool. Thanks for all the other info, folks!

• 3 weeks later...