Gibson Brands Forums

"Epiphone by Gibson" headstock Sheraton owners club

I have one. An 1988 model with everything all original. The man I got it from inherited it back in 1991 from his father who passed away. It's been in the case under his bed since then. Looks brand new and still has the plastic little tuner covers on back, the original warranty card and the Serial number all intact. Guitar is stunning and plays like a dream. The old man I got it from posted it on craigslist at about 11:00 pm one night and I was the lucky guy that saw it and called immediately. I said, I know it's late but I'd really like to buy this guitar. He said I was free to come get it so I did. It was everything he stated and more! Far More!

I had it appraised and people across the internet truly have know real idea on the values of these guitars. Ive seen people without any real knowledge say these are worth oh about $400 or $500 dollars. About what a used China made Sheraton sells for! Funny thing is they are worth far more than that. They are some of the best built Sheratons made. They are very RARE and the guitar price guide doesn't even have them in it. If you have an 1986-1988 Sheraton with this headstock you have one of the truly collectable Epi's from the 80's. Two sold in the last couple years that were not original and had dents and abuse. both brought over $1400 US dollars. Mine was valued at double that amount. Sure, I know I'd have to find a buyer willing to pay that but it is what it is. They are far more valuable than what most people think.

IMAG0406.jpg

IMAG0397.jpg

Paid £350 for mine, about $550 USD. $1400 seems a bit on the steep side!

• 1 month later...

Why do you ask for this imformation if you do nothing. I've sent in my request almost a year ago and nothing from you. i'm still NOT on your list. What i have to be your friend. why do you have this forum(its a joke) you pick and choose the friends you want.. they made a great deal of these guitars...

Why do you ask for this imformation if you do nothing. I've sent in my request almost a year ago and nothing from you. i'm still NOT on your list. What i have to be your friend. why do you have this forum(its a joke) you pick and choose the friends you want.. they made a great deal of these guitars...

please anyone can you help me understand why im not on this list

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dkatz,

I'm curious about what you paid. I just found this forum and will send pics of my e by g this weekend to become another official owner. I bought mine at a vintage shop in Fla and moved it to Cleveland, Ohio. It's the natural color. Love it!

If I remember correctly, Guitar Center had $499 on it. I had a trade in and paid $200 difference. The guitar is mint. I think it must have been a one-owner who

played jazz because it had flat wound ropes on it. I polished the frets and buffed the guitar and it plays like a dream. I posted a couple of pictures in an earlier

thread, but 2 of the pics didn't show up...don't know why.

Dkatz,

I'm curious about what you paid. I just found this forum and will send pics of my e by g this weekend to become another official owner. I bought mine at a vintage shop in Fla and moved it to Cleveland, Ohio. It's the natural color. Love it!

Finally got my pics to work.

0a339be2.jpg

7ac4fc4e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've had a tobacco sunburst Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton II bought from new since c.1988. Serial number 80100017. The gold hardware degraded badly over the years and I've just had it replaced with chrome, including some nice Grover pegs. A pair of Bareknuckle Stormy Mondays and a fret re-dress completed the makeover.

6664824_0ab4d65a65_l.jpeg

post-46084-099639900 1350136171_thumb.jpg

I just did some work on one of these for a friend of mine. he said it had some issues with the output jack. It turns out it was just a loud buzzing, the jack itself was fine (obviously humbuckers shouldn't do this though). Well after pulling the guts out and re-flowing all the solder joints, and hitting the switch and pots with a little de-oxit it turns out she's fine! Dressed/polished the frets, and it's reay to rock once more! VERY nice guitar, plays and sounds beautiful!

• 4 weeks later...

I've owned other Samick Sherry's, like this one:

sheri.jpg

Now ain't she purdy??? Just didn't have by Gibson.

,,CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THE PROBLEM OF REPLACING THE TOM BRIDGES ON SAMICK/ EPI SHERATONS...MY 1989...LIKE MOST OF MY OTHERS HAS A 72.5 MM...POST SIZE(CENTER TO CENTER)...

I COULD ONLY FIND A CHINESE THAT MAY FIT..NOT REC'D. THIS BRIDGE YET...GRAPH TECH SAYS THEY DO NOT GET MUCH CALL FOR THESE BRIDGEES...SO THEY HAVE NO SADDLES TO FIT...THANKS ARNIE

• 1 month later...

6,006 registered members on this forum and this thread has had 162 views and to date the list of owners of Sheratons with the "Epiphone by Gibson" headstock is two people

Musikron

JoeSamick

come on there must be more people out there who have this headstock on their Sherri's

ebg.jpg

Hi All Just found this thread and forum.

I have a sheraton with No:

80200199 on a sticker on back. and the body has a small sticker on back saying:

sheraton-vsb.

Any idea of the history of this guitar she sounds so nice and plays nice,

Cheers guys really nice forum.

Bob

post-51662-099144200 1355503086_thumb.jpg

post-51662-075057300 1355503205_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

I have a Epiphone by Gibson, with the serial number 80110230, identified by a small sticker on the reverse of the headstock and the colour identifier, VSB, sticker on the reverse of the body. I have posted pictures in the Epiphone Electric forum under the topic Epihone Sheraton. [thumbup]

episher3.jpg

EpiSher2.jpg

EpiSher1.jpg

Hi guys,

Firstly, this thread has been a really great resource in finding out more about my Sheraton whilst I was waiting for my account to be activated.

Yesterday I picked up an E by G Sheraton in natural finish. The one thing I don't think I saw mention of in this thread was the 'made in USA' sticker which I saw when I peeked into one of the f-holes. I think I read elsewhere that some of these were made in Korea but assembled and/or finished in the States. Are there any of the E by Gs that were made from start to finish in the USA?

Unfortunately the serial number sticker has been lost — only the sticky residue remains.

post-57174-081362400 1369690388_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

I bought a brand new sunburst Sheraton in September 1988 for £245. Its serial number was: 880509116. I sold it sometime around 1992. It was a great guitar! I wonder where it is now...

Apologies - the image is quite large.

Hopefully, you will now add mine to the list. Photos have just been posted by me. By the way, I am hoping to sell or swop it Thanks. [thumbup]

I thought there were quite a few owners of these Samick built Epiphone Sheratons with the

ebg.jpg

headstock on this site.

I was wrong.

We have 6,677 registered forum members and have had 5,389 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 9 proven owners of "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons on this forum.

1986 E-by-G's

NaturalScience2112 (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 2 (tobacco, sn:6066698))

Musikron (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 1 (natural, sn:6094580))

1987 E-by-G's

JoeSamick (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 3 (tobacco, sn:70105418))

StevieD (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 8 (tobacco, sn:71107775))

Albannach (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 6 (tobacco, sn:71108446))

1988 E-by-G's

Toredown (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 5 (tobacco, sn:80202658))

hilleri(2) (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 9 (natural, sn:880603292)

slawek (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 4 (tobacco, sn:880802010))

missing serial therefore 1986 to 1988 E-by-G's

hilleri (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 7 (natural (yellowed), sn:XXXXXXXX)...probably 1988

who own "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons (samick build 1986-1988) with the

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Please if anyone else knows of anyone else who owns one, or sees one for sale, drop me a line.

to be included in this list we need photographs of your guitar especially the headstock back and front

I just want to let you all know that the photo's in my previously posted mail (see below) are of my guitar when it was for sale on ebay - I used them because the photos were great. If anyone doubts my validity, I have also posted below photos taken by me using my phone, of my ugly mug and the guitar. I wouldn't want anyone to think I am not genuine!!

20130528_203721.jpg

20130528_203733.jpg

20130528_204024.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I have a Epiphone by Gibson, with the serial number 80110230, identified by a small sticker on the reverse of the headstock and the colour identifier, VSB, sticker on the reverse of the body. I have posted pictures in the Epiphone Electric forum under the topic Epihone Sheraton. [thumbup]

episher3.jpg

EpiSher2.jpg

EpiSher1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I just bought a Korean 1987 Sheraton in Tobacco sunburst with 'Epiphone by Gibson' on the headstock. The guitar plays great, but needs a setup. I'm off to a luthier at lunchtime to see what can be done. The action is too high and there is a rattle on the first E string. But I'm sure that this will be taken care off today. The guitar as such is great, great dark look and amazing playability. I have owned quite a few Gibson's : ES-347 / 335 / 345 / 135 / 175 and a L4. I have sold them all, the only regret I have is the L4, that was an amazing guitar that I should have kept. But I got a great offer and didn't refuse. The other Gibson's just were not what I expected for the price (even second hand). This is my second Epiphone Sheraton and it will not be my last. I have a blond Sheraton made in Korea in 2004 (Unsung) that is amazing, but this Korean '87 guitar is even better. It reminds me very much of the playability of the 80's ES-347. Same feel of the fretboard (although this is rosewood and not ebony like on the ES-347). Pickups are amazing and 'warmer' in my opinion than the pickups on the '04 Korean guitar. So this is my second Sheraton and I will keep them both. I did my last gig with the blond '04 guitar and she did great. No tuning issues (as oppossed to some Gibson's), great sound and build like a tank. The '86 Korean guitar sounds even warmer, looks classy and with a proper set-up will be another keeper. I never had that feeling when I had the Gibson's and I was always worried that something would happen to them. And at the price I paid, that wasn't an option. I can see that some Gibson's must be really superior, and if you can get your hands on one of those, keep them. But I've had too many Gibson's and never really felt that one of them was that great. The two Korean Sheraton play as well as the Gibson's I had and sound great, the '87 guitar clearly the best. But upgrading to Gibson pickups could be an option for the '04 guitar. The '87 is just fine as is, and can be compared to most ES-335's anyday.

Another issue however is the new 50thEdition of the Sheraton. I've played two and both had issues. The one I played in Belgium had a bad nut and was send back to Epiphone (the guitar also felt "dead"), the one I played at EsseMusic in Italy had a non-working bridge pick-up and was also sent back (but felt "alive", great sound even acoustic). So I would definitely recommend trying the 50thEditions of the Sheraton before buying. It seems like quality control just isn't there yet. I'm sure that some Chinese Epiphone guitars are great, but since my two Korean Epiphone's are amazing for a great price, I would suggest taking a close look at Korean models before buying a Chinese one. You can still get one at low prices, and it is safe to believe that prices will only go up for Korean made Sheraton's since they will become Vintage guitars in a couple of years from now. And the two Korean ones I have are worth every penny I paid for.

post-57455-022718900 1370940467_thumb.jpg

post-57455-045435700 1370940499_thumb.jpg

post-57455-000851600 1370940536_thumb.jpg

So I just got this thing back as my buddy still says "the jack is bad" (BTW I plugged it in and it's fine...) so I popped the jack out cut the lead wire back a bit re-soldered it, and guess what? It's still fine! Ha... anyway, I thought I'd post some photo's...post-46930-019971600 1370951130_thumb.jpgpost-46930-090810800 1370951146_thumb.jpgpost-46930-053448800 1370951158_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...