Gibson Brands Forums

What Do you Record With?

twanger

Looks like a nice unit to me! Of course, the BIG expense in this little project is going to be the 16 microphones it's going to take to make it happen ... sheesh!

My home set-up is much simpler: a Line 6 UX2, my computer, an installed copy of Sony Acid 7.0, whatever instrument I am going to record and me! Naturally I'm not recording a band ... I AM the band ... so I am only recording one instrument at a time!

Jim

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I want to record for a review of how good/bad we sound and to put together a demo for future gigs at newer (read: better paying) venues.

I've got all the mics, DI's and cables I need and then some. My day job is soundman at a local college since I sold my sound company a while back. I also do briefcase gigs for a tour company out of Chicago and I've been busy putting together a small PA system for me and the band.

I figure the SD card and USB port will be real handy to offload to the drummer's laptop or to my desktop. We can also monitor/playback through the PA at rehearsal. For the demo I have Audacity on my computer and it's more than adequate for mixing a demo to burn on a cd.

I guess more than anything I'm wondering about the ease of use/reliability/utility of the Zoom and the SD format more than anything else. The last multitrack I used was an Alesis that used S-VHS tape. I also used a 424 (Tascam?) cassette multitrack recorder. I have the SD card in my camera and I haven't had any troubles with it and don't even have to take it out of the camera to offload it on to my computer or erase the images from the card because the computer does all that for me. But I'm just not that familiar with how well the SD card will take audio.

I guess more than anything I'm wondering about the ease of use/reliability/utility of the Zoom and the SD format more than anything else. The last multitrack I used was an Alesis that used S-VHS tape. I also used a 424 (Tascam?) cassette multitrack recorder. I have the SD card in my camera and I haven't had any troubles with it and don't even have to take it out of the camera to offload it on to my computer or erase the images from the card because the computer does all that for me. But I'm just not that familiar with how well the SD card will take audio.

I have a little Zoom H4, a pocket 4-track version. I really like it and it's great for what I use it for. However, I did drop it on a hard floor once and the jack inputs stopped working. I ending up opening it up and I had to put some of the cards back together. They're stacked upwards and sideways in a box like fashion, probably to get everything to fit in to such a little unit, so it's no wonder it didn't take the drop. I guess the one you are considering wouldn't have this problem, being a desk top design. The user friendliness of my H4 isn't great for mixing and for tweaking effects settings as you have to go in to multiple menus. However, the onboard effects are really good and it does do the overall job well. Tascam obviously have a longstanding reputation in portable multitrack recording and you may also like something with more knobs and buttons for 'hands on' user friendliness.

SD card -just another way of storing digital information. Memory is all the same be it CD, hard drive, flash or SD. It's the 24 bit /96khz recording which gives you the sound quality.

I hope I am not hijacking this thread but I am interested in perhaps something different. I usually play with at night so I have headphones plugged into the amps output jack. I am interested in (occasionally) recording and what I would like to have is a unit that I can plug into the output jack and then plug headphones into it so I can hear myself, pressing record when I want to. Not terribly interested in a modeling unit although if the POD units fit the bill then that is what I would use.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I hope I am not hijacking this thread but I am interested in perhaps something different. I usually play with at night so I have headphones plugged into the amps output jack. I am interested in (occasionally) recording and what I would like to have is a unit that I can plug into the output jack and then plug headphones into it so I can hear myself' date=' pressing record when I want to. Not terribly interested in a modeling unit although if the POD units fit the bill then that is what I would use.

Any ideas? Thanks![/quote']

The Zoom H4 will do just that. You should also check out the Boss Micro BR.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec06/articles/zoomh4.htm

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb07/articles/bossmicrobr.htm

I scored a ZOOM MRS8 last year off of the bay for 89 bucks. Incredible unit. [My last was a Tascam 246 cassette] It has everything you need for doing demos and practicing with your phones on. It has drum patterns, effects out the wahzoo and even guitar models/effects. Including a Bass simulator. It makes decent quality recordings. If you have a card reader in your PC or laptop, just download the conversion software from their web site [for free] and it converts everything to .wav files when you import them from the SD card. [you can get a USB card reader for like 12 bucks, if you look around]

It even has mastering effects to mix your songs down before you export them. It blows my mind how much these units can do. [all brands, not just Zoom] It even has a built in condenser mic. I did my first song with that and an acoustic. The only downfall to this one is 2 inputs. However, the built in drums and Bass have their own dedicated track. So you can say, sing and play the rhythm tracks at first. Then add lead and what ever.

The game plan is to up-grade to the 16CD model with 8 in's and an on board CD burner. $575.00 brand new. Not bad.

I also have a Zoom B2 pedal that I use for Bass. It's got mad features, including drum beats and a tuner.

You get serious "Bang for your BucK" with Zoom products.

Just sayin'

And yes, I know the Boss recorder is probably better. But it's also twice the price.

I haven't done any "official" recording in 5+ years, however, for what it's worth, I still prefer master recordings to be done analog and mixdowns/mastering the final product to be done digitally.

You can't defeat digital safeguards, but you can physically manipulate the analog stuff (actual flanging for example).

Archived