Gibson Brands Forums

Different Finishes.

Caolan96

Can anyone tell me what finishes are there on epiphone les pauls, not finishes as in colours, finishes as in nitrocellulose ect.

And also what finish my Epiphone '56 Goldtop is, is it nitro or something else?

Regards. Caolán.

I think even the elitists have a polyurethane finish. Certain special run models, like e.g. the recent Nashville Wilshire, JLH Sheratons, etc. have nitrocellulose. You're right, any standard Asian Epi has a poly finish, but they can still look and sound great.

Poly is extremely tough and hard wearing for one, whereas nitro is not so much. Nitro is much thinner, and a lot of people will bang on about a thin finish being better for tone. If you can hear the difference that a finish makes, then you should become a safe breaker!

I wouldn't worry about what a guitar is coated in. So long as it sounds, feels, and looks good to you, it doesn't matter.

Loosely from Dan Erlewine, nitrocellulose is a more "organic" compound, the major component of normal lacquer, an evaporative finish that sprays on in a solvent, which evaporates leaving the dissolved solids behind. Benefits - easy to use, dries fast and hard, buffs to a high gloss, blends into/adheres to previous coats, "superior acoustical properties" (his words not mine). Downside, super nasty solvent, not the most wear-resistant.

Polyurethane is essentially a plastic, in a reactive finish, that is there's a catalyst that causes the chemicals to cross-link forming a hard film. Advantages - great wear resistance, less nasty solvents in spraying, but super-nasty catalyzing chemicals. None of that nastiness is a concern if you're not the one spraying.

The mythology of nitrocellulose is tough to cut through, a beautifully applied nitro finish might be acoustically superior, but you can't tell since every instrument is different and you can't have two instruments that are perfectly identical except for the finish. If it's an electric guitar, it really doesn't matter, it's more of an aesthetic. Poly finishes look a little less organic or natural - maybe because they don't age, crack, and wear as much as a nitrocellulose finish.

There was a Limited Run in Japan For Yamano, which was called 'Epiphone Lacquer Serie". They were in nitro finish - hence the name Lacquer. Those were manufactured by Fujigen Gakki, best known as Ibanez and Greco supplier.

Several Japanese brands such as Greco, Orvillle (by Gibson), Tokai and Navigator among others, produced some high end replicas in nitro. But the nitro from Gibson remains somewhat different.

I've owned many japanese "nitroed" guitars, and you couldn't tell the difference with a thin poly (except with acetone test), while the Gibson Nitro is very sticky and dull very fast -if you don't clean and polish your guitar every day- (and I like it a lot).

Poly is plastic, and it kinda obstruct the wood, while nitro supposedly let the wood breath. Otherwise, the nitrocellulose is also know as an explosive while the polyurethane doesn't.

Archived