Gibson Brands Forums

Standards $1,999 at MF?

Riffster

When you say making room for the new ones, do you mean the 2009's?

What will be the differences between the "old ones" and the "new ones"?

I am seriously thinking of jumping on this deal.

What about the Standard Faded for $1749 vs the Standard for $1999. Are they the basically the same guitar just one is finished and one isn't?

When you say making room for the new ones' date=' do you mean the 2009's?

What about the Standard Faded for $1749 vs the Standard for $1999. Are they the basically the same guitar just one is finished and one isn't?

[/quote']

They're both finished, the standard faded has less coats of finish, so it gets that satin look and feel. But yes, other than the finish and that the standard has pickup covers, they are the same guitar.

When you say making room for the new ones' date=' do you mean the 2009's?

[/quote']

the 2008 Standard will have different hardware and neck. keep in mind that Gibson's timeline is not exact at all. if a guitar is discontinued in 2008, expect to see some made in 2009. the same holds true here. gibson has finished the last of the 2007s (made in 2008) and will be pumping out the new Standard.

I do not have access to a Gibson dealer and I have no way of testing any of the Les Pauls. I read good things / bad things about the BFGs, the Vintage Mahogany, the Fadeds, the Standards. To me, they all look like awesome guitars, but I just have no way of narrowing down the choices. Plus, with all I have read about the inconsistancy of the Gibsons where one guitar may be a log and the one beside it a gem, it is tough to shell out $2000+ for a guitar sight unseen and not having ever played the instrument.

I am jonesing for a Les Paul so badly. I am planning on going to either Nashville in September or Las Vegas in October, then Texas (Weslaco) in April. I guess I should wait till then try out as many as I can get my hands on.

I really don't want to purchase from GC, so any good Mom n Pop shops in Texas (Weslaco, McAllen, Harlingen area)? How about even San Antonio, or Houston or Galveston?

Love the forum. The knowledge to be found here is amazing. Thanks guys.

Archived