Gibson Brands Forums

New "Custom Shop - Limited edition" RIVIERA

afonsor

Hi,

I'm new here and I'm hoping you guys can help.

Just got one of these new "Custom Shop - Limited edition" RIVIERAS. Out of the box, the finish seems impecable, all the workmanship really... It got me thinking about all this "hand made in China" thing... truth is, We all have guitars that cost 5 times more and this one looks as well put together as most of them... :-({|=

Now, I haven't really had a chance to PLAY her today, only through a small practice amp, so, I will not comment on tone. Unplugged sounds pretty good, resonant...

The tuners feel a bit cheap and unprecise so I'm considering a swap. Any recomendations without drilling holes?

I'm also thinking about upgrading the pickups... again, I would be interested in your suggestions. I hear that those GFSs sound great on Rivieras. Some people actually prefer them to lollars, antiquities, etc etc.

At last, I'm definitly considering a bigsby. Does changing the frequensator for a bigsby changes the sound of the guitar. If so, in what way?

Well, thanks a lot and enjoy your Epis!

Send it back and get one of these:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Riviera-Custom-P93-Electric-Guitar?sku=516284

Has a Bigsby already and three pickups. No tinkering necessary.

nah... I want the 2 minis classic Riviera configuration/sound. besides I have a silvetone 1454, so I got the 3 pickup thing covered :-({|=

Ahhh...Europe! I figured as much' date=' as we haven't seen those, over here...yet, anyway. May not, too.

We seem to get some things, that Europe doesn't, and you guys get things we can't, as well. I wonder

why Epiphone limits their options, like that? Interesting...

CB[/quote']

yeah... marketing

I heard they ship overseas but I'm not sure

^Probably a marketing thing. I dare say that Europe isn't as large a market as the US in terms of guitars, so the exclusivity of guitars like that probably serves to make them a bit more desirable. People quite often want to buy what they think is limited, rare, exlusive, or elite.

In any case, it looks like a gorgeous guitar. I do like the look of a Riviera with mini humbuckers and a frequensator.

Congrats on the guitar, I am a big fan of the Riviera, especially with the mini humbuckers.

I had been waiting months for Thomann to get those in stock, but I saw a mint MIK model on ebay so I cancelled the order.

As for the pickup upgrade, I have thought about it too, but the stock mini humbuckers in mine are pretty darn good. I know there are some guys on here (Mr. CB for one) with semis that have them in. They might be able to give you their opinion.

PICS DUDE

^Probably a marketing thing. I dare say that Europe isn't as large a market as the US in terms of guitars' date=' so the exclusivity of guitars like that probably serves to make them a bit more desirable. People quite often want to buy what they think is limited, rare, exlusive, or elite.

In any case, it looks like a gorgeous guitar. I do like the look of a Riviera with mini humbuckers and a frequensator.[/quote']

Well, I get that...BUT, why not make it a "rare" (limited edition=less of them) Everywhere,

instead of not allowing one market to have any, and another to get them all??? If that's

their marketing, it's DUMB! IMHO People on this forum have (for as long as I've been here,

anyway) been lamenting the loss of the Riviera, both Elitist and Standard (Korean, at that

time) versions, on BOTH sides of the "pond!" ;>b

I also, have never understood, why they don't put neck binding, on the

"Dot!" At least the "Super Dot," or whatever...even at a slightly higher cost,

I would think they'd sell even more, than they already do. But...who knows?!

CB

Someone on UK ebay has one listed - it looks great!! A really lovely transparent cherry colour.

For £475! It's only 377 Euro at Thomann, that's £329! I'm in the wrong game, I should be ripping off the unsuspecting on ebay too.

For £475! It's only 377 Euro at Thomann' date=' that's £329! I'm in the wrong game, I should be ripping off the unsuspecting on ebay too.

[/quote']

I was refering to the pics not the price:-" , this scumbag has obviously purchased one from Thomann and is looking to flip it at a premium to the buyer!![crying]

I also' date=' have never understood, why they don't put neck binding, on the

"Dot!" At least the "Super Dot," or whatever...even at a slightly higher cost,

I would think they'd sell even more, than they already do. But...who knows?!

CB [/quote']

I like it that way. It's the original '58 spec. The Gibson ES 335 was introduced in 1958 without neck binding. It got neck and fret binding shortly afterward, though. The ES-355 was introduced later in the same year, and it came with neck and fret binding (and more fancy ornamentation, like the Sheraton, also introduced in 1958) right off the bat.

Here's something interesting, especially in light of the press board thread, elsewhere: while the ES 335 and 355 were both introduced in the same year, and had the some shape body, the wood used in the plys was different. The ES 335 had either mahogany, poplar, or sometimes basswood sandwiched between the outer layers of maple (4 plys toal, then). The fancier ES 355 has a spruce layer sandwiched between between the two maple plys. This tidbit is from "the Gibson ES 335, Its History and Players" by Adrian Ingram.

Red 333

I like it that way. It's the original '58 spec. The Gibson ES 335 was introduced in 1958 without neck binding. It got neck and fret binding shortly afterward' date=' though. The ES-355 was introduced later in the same year, and it came with neck and fret binding (and more fancy ornamentation, like the Sheraton, also introduced in 1958) right off the bat.

Here's something interesting, especially in light of the press board thread, elsewhere: while the ES 335 and 355 were both introduced in the same year, and had the some shape body, the wood used in the plys was different. The ES 335 had either mahogany, poplar, or sometimes basswood sandwiched between the outer layers of maple (4 plys toal, then). The fancier ES 355 has a spruce layer sandwiched between between the two maple plys. This tidbit is from "the Gibson ES 335, Its History and Players" by Adrian Ingram.

Red 333 [/quote']

Yeah, Red...I understood, about the Dot being a '58 spec, thing..."I" just thought they should

at least make a version (The Dot Deluxe, maybe), with binding. So, we'd have a "choice,"

you know? But, to each his/her own. It's all good. ;>) I guess they DO, now...but you

have to find the right kind of dealer. Always something! LOL!

CB

Archived