Gibson Brands Forums

Coil Splitting on a Sheraton

Some of questions you may be able to help me with:

1) If both humbucker pickups are split that must mean there are four single coils (let's say neck 1&2 bridge 3&4) what is usual wiring and switching for coil splitting.

2) I have been told it is virtually impossible to get a push-pull pot through through a 1inch wide f hole. So I am assuming I would need a mini-switch are these the only options.

3) Could the mini-switch be mounted on a decent pickguard, or discretly under the pickguard.

If anyone has traveled the road on this one and wired a Sheraton, Dot or Riviera for coil splitting any advice, tips or observations welcome.

Some of questions you may be able to help me with:

1) If both humbucker pickups are split that must mean there are four single coils (let's say neck 1&2 bridge 3&4) what is usual wiring and switching for coil splitting.

2) I have been told it is virtually impossible to get a push-pull pot through through a 1inch wide f hole. So I am assuming I would need a mini-switch are these the only options.

3) Could the mini-switch be mounted on a decent pickguard' date=' or discretly under the pickguard.

If anyone has traveled the road on this one and wired a Sheraton, Dot or Riviera for coil splitting any advice, tips or observations welcome.

[/quote']

I used the very SD diagram that brianh has published and it works well. Did it in an Ibanez SZ320 though. Having said that, I used Gotoh push/pull pots and I'm sure they will fit through the f holes. They are a minipot sitiing on top of a six pole switch. Overall they are smaller in diameter than a full sized pot and not very long.

This is a little more complex than normal. As it is not normal humbuckers I want to split it is a set of mini Lollar Firebirds.

I have two Sheratons and one will have humbuckers and not be split.

But on my other Sheraton....I want to try something different.

I love Firebird pickups and because the original NY minis are so difficult to get, I have decided on Lollar Firebirds for my other Sheraton.

What put a spanner in the works was a statement by pickup maker Don Mare on one of the Luthier forums.

I am into blues and the Lollar 'birds are great as they are, but when I read this I was intrigued, and I have just got to try it:

Don Mare

03-03-2008

I just want to comment on the internal workings of a Firebird pup.

They have two magnets - not one shared magnet like the mini humbucker - or full size HB -

Because they have a coil going around the magnet - they are very reminiscent of those early Blues pickups found in the Kay's- Harmony's and Magnatone's. where all you have is a coil wrapped right around a long rectangular bar magnet - I have found that these designs are really fast becoming the more popular designs with the Blues Purist Regime out there -

So inside the Firebird's metal cover are basically two of these early designs with the magnets stood up so its skinny end is up and the flatter 1/2 wide sides are facing the coil - making them a cross between the Charlie Christian Blade & the H-44 Harmonys - ( Strat0tones) - now theres not much room for wire so these Firebirds usually reach about 6.5 or maybe sneak it up to a 7k if they are wound nice an neat...

so inside the cover is two really cool Bluesy pickups - one has its magnets reversed from the other so it "hum-bucks" -

now most of the Kay's - Harmony's - Magnatone's were 3.2k to 4k

so heres these Firebird's really BEGGING to be put on a split switch - and wolla- you'll have a 3.2k to 3.5k single coil bluesy pup from the tone Gods!

because inside are two of the coolest little blues designs ever made!

and splitting them will give you "that Sound" when you want it..

I have just sent an e-mail to Lollar to ask advice on whether I should just split or go series parallel or any other weird configuration they may suggest.

I would prefer push-pull rather than making a hole for a switch so may go for CTS minis as you guys have suggested. I will have to take the bridge pickup out and see if I am lucky for access. Musikron said one time that you can feed the wiring that way on some sherry's

This is complex, and first time for me, so any experienced feedback is very welcome.

Sounds like a very interesting project.

Let's see if I understand this: By splitting two Firebird pickups, you will be able to have the normal sound OR the sound of an old Statotone at the flip of a switch?

If that's how it works, it sounds like a fantastic set up!

Scratch wrote:

Sounds like a very interesting project. Let's see if I understand this: By splitting two Firebird pickups, you will be able to have the normal sound OR the sound of an old Statotone at the flip of a switch? If that's how it works, it sounds like a fantastic set up!

Scratch I have just got to try it. If I don't I will just always wonder......I planned to upgrade the assembly and pickups anyway so I might as well go the extra mile and see what it yields.....

And I have just found out something that has made my day.....Musikron once said you can wire some Sheratons through the bridge cavity...many argued with him that it is not possible.

The variable is......

Musikron has an 1986 Epiphone by Gibson headstock Sheraton....the one I am working on is a 1987 Epiphone by Gibson headstock, like Musikron's and guess what I found when I pulled out the bridge pickup....

P1010245.jpg

P1010246.jpg

that access cavity is 3 inches deep so full size pull-push pots should fly in there.......

Am I a happy apprentice luthier at the moment.....[thumbup]

Hi Joe,

Sounds very good. I thought abouti t myself recently when doing pu my sheraton but decided against. If I got another I would do it though! Twang is right on the series/parralell option rather than coil split, or even a phase switch putting them in/out of phase, can sound very cool (ala Jimmy Page). Seems working through f-holes depend on the size of f-holes which is as random as whether you have agap under your pups or not. Trial and error. I'm sure you can get a push/pull through the f hole though. If not, a mini switch hidden just under the pick guard is what Page used (albeit on a Les Paul).

Let us know how you get on, sounds great!

Nigel.

Archived