Gibson Brands Forums

Humbucking P90?

SamBooka

I am waiting for the black Mean 90's from GFS they have a decent reputation and I want a pair in my Joe Pass the black are back ordered but they haave gold and nickel covered in stock...There are more expensive on the market but I think they will do the trick for me, based on what others have said on the forum who have a lot more experience than me...they seem to like them....

http://store.guitarfetish.com/me90gocaalp9.html

yhst-50206111187217_2083_1627522

Thanks Joe.

I am looking for the opposite tho. Like a stacked P90. Looks like a 90' date=' sounds roughly like a p90.. but humbucking.

Here are the fralins... he doesnt talk much about it and buying directly from them is a pain in the ***. I prefer Lollars but am open to anything :-({|=

[/quote']

Ahhhh, I get you now.....have you checked out Lace pickups they do a sidewound single coil but it is soap bar, I have a feeling your looking for something like these LACE PS 900 soapbar (would soapbars fit your guitar)

http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/ps_900_905/soapbar_specs.php

They show the PS 900 in the middle of this video

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

The link you posted did not work for me but if it has to be shaped like a p-90 do you mean dog eared....

I've installed a p-100 some times ago, convinced that it would be a better choice than the (Epiphone japan) LP special stock pup I had back then. The guitar lost bite and grit for silence and dullness. Very disappointing. In french single pup noise is called 'breath'. In my very humble opinion, killing the breath of a P90, is killing what makes it sounds so cool, what makes it's sound so alive. :-({|=

Note: I have not tried anything else though. So maybe there's something that would match your will. but please, not the P-100

Thanks! P100 was what I was "looking" for.

They do seem to have a love/hate relationship.

By searching for p100 I found there is also an H90 which is a p90 with a dummy coil (as opposed to a stacked humbucker like the P90). What is interesting about the H90 is you can tap it and it goes to a typical p90 sound.

Might be what I am looking for... will have to keep googling tho!

Edit.. H90.. not H100

I've installed a p-100 some times ago' date=' convinced that it would be a better choice than the (Epiphone japan) LP special stock pup I had back then. The guitar lost bite and grit for silence and dullness. Very disappointing. In french single pup noise is called 'breath'. In my very humble opinion, killing the breath of a P90, is killing what makes it sounds so cool, what makes it's sound so alive. Think

Note: I have not tried anything else though. So maybe there's something that would match your will. but please, not the P-100[/quote']

+1 on the P-100. Once you humbucker a P-90, you lose all the tone that makes P-90s desirable.

Thanks! P100 was what I was "looking" for.

They do seem to have a love/hate relationship.

By searching for p100 I found there is also an H90 which is a p90 with a dummy coil (as opposed to a stacked humbucker like the P90). What is interesting about the H90 is you can tap it and it goes to a typical p90 sound.

Might be what I am looking for... will have to keep googling tho!

Edit.. H90.. not H100

I'm not familiar with the H-90' date=' but I will tell you that a dummy coil is a viable option. I had a Gibson Blueshawk that had 2 P-90 style pickups with a dummy coils PLUS a varitone. It was one of the all-around best sounding guitars I've ever played, and quiet as can be. Too bad the guitar felt like a toy. Someday I'd like to get hold of one for the electronics and fit them into a nicer guitar.

Of course, if you buy a set of P-90s that are [i']Reverse Wound Reverse Polarity[/i] (RWRP) you would get a humbucking effect when both pickups are on.

just an update .. I emailed Lace.. they got back to me .. I am impressed.

Unfortunately they do not have the p90 in dog ear .. just soap bar. Maybe soon.

I am sure I could rig something to fit as well.

It would have been helpful early on if you would have explained what guitar it is for and confirmed if you wanted dog ear P90's or whatever so we could know what you are replacing...[cool]

Once you humbucker a P-90' date=' you lose all the tone that makes P-90s desirable.

I had a Gibson Blueshawk that had 2 P-90 style pickups with a dummy coils PLUS a varitone. It was one of the all-around best sounding guitars I've ever played, and quiet as can be.

Of course, if you buy a set of P-90s that are [i']Reverse Wound Reverse Polarity[/i] (RWRP) you would get a humbucking effect when both pickups are on.

RWRP is the way to go. The GFS Mean 90s are made that way. Besides, if you take

the time to apply copper foil around the bottom of them and ground that copper foil

to the ground wire for the tp and controls, there is very little discernable hum from

them even if they are not in the hum cancelling mode (neck + bridge). Having metal

covers makes them a lot quieter from hum than the original p-90 dog ears with the

plastic covers. I have a set and other than some of the extra bit of shielding I

did on my custom made, I wouldn't considered them to be noisy.

Dummy coils are harder to find and more expensive, not to mention you have to mount

them somewheres in the guitar. In order for the dummy coil to be effective, not only

do you need one that matches the dc resistance but also the inductance of the p-90

and while there may be some out there, they are not easy to find.

Archived