Gibson Brands Forums

GAS attack, but hey....HNGD!

StewartB

Had to post these pics. Got back from my trip to Hawaii and had a GAS attack, so just bought this Epi Elitist Dot 335 from a local muso. It is mint condition and headstock stamp implies it was made at the Terada Factory, Japan in 2004. Came with the Elitist hardcase and original papers.

Previous owner had the pups changed to Seymour Duncan Jazz Neck (SH2N) and the classic JB Bridge (SH4). He also had the guitar tech rig them for coil splits and there is a huge range of available sounds. Just fantastic. He gave me the original Epi USA pups (50SR / 50ST) as well so I might do a swap. The original pups can't be coil split however.

Did a bit of setup work with the action and fitted 10/46 strings. Action is brilliant and it plays like a dream!

The slimmer 60s neck is good and overall I cannot fault this guitar - I have tried to find fault, believe me! Anyway, pics below -

p1000123h.jpg

p1000124i.jpg

p1000127h.jpg

p1000125p.jpg

Well' date=' Hawaii and and Elitist, all in the same week![cool']

Congratulations to you!

Sheila

Thanks Sheila. Just caught up on some forum topics and it seems things are improving for you? That's good to hear.

Stewart

Previous owner had the pups changed to Seymour Duncan Jazz Neck (SH2N) and the classic JB Bridge (SH4). He also had the guitar tech rig them for coil splits and there is a huge range of available sounds. Just fantastic. He gave me the original Epi USA pups (50SR / 50ST) as well so I might do a swap. The original pups can't be coil split however.

Congrats! Very nice axe!

Don't be too quick to get shot of those Duncans' date=' though. As well as being good for rock and metal their crystal clarity also makes them a great choice for cleans, particularly jazz styles. It's not the first time I've seen this set in an archtop.

This character from Singapore put this combo in one of his archtops:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/bruisedwee#p/u/12/SFOya6Qnm3s

Congrats! Very nice axe!

Don't be too quick to get shot of those Duncans' date=' though. As well as being good for rock and metal their crystal clarity also makes them a great choice for cleans, particularly jazz styles. It's not the first time I've seen this set in an archtop.

[/quote']

You are right AlanH. I probably won't swap out the Duncans. They are excellent pups and I do like the coil splits. I'll probably put the Epi pups into my Epi Les Paul to see how they sound.

:-({|=

Very very nice' date=' leave them pup's alone.

[/quote']

a big + 1

I had a SD hotrodded set in my Joe Pass and I loved that JB bridge in my limited experience with guitars my favourite pickup to date...

Enjoy that combination, and if you ever get the urge swap, then "possibly" the neck pup, but leave that bridge pickup alone.....Capisce?

a big + 1

I had a SD hotrodded set in my Joe Pass and I loved that JB bridge in my limited experience with guitars my favourite pickup to date...

Enjoy that combination' date=' and if you ever get the urge swap, then "possibly" the neck pup, but leave that bridge pickup alone.....[b']Capisce?[/b]

After now having played it for a day or two I agree with everyone's comment about leaving the SD Hot Rodded set as they are. Sounds great and I think I'll do as per the Beatles - "Let It Be!"

Re your comment, profile, the 22nd fret is a little hard to reach but I don't spend much time there anyway.

Archived