Gibson Brands Forums

Skin head

TommyK

My wife has the idea her dad, a recent widower, needs a banjo. Never played one, but while we were listening to some Bluegrass, he commented that if he ever was to pick up an instrument it'd be a banjo.... So..... mydaughter found one on line for 30 bucks. But.. she added, ".. it has the knobby thingies on the bottom, not the side.. #-o and no strings. You know anyone who could jput strings on it?" B) I said order it, ship it to me and I'd take alook at it. She sent me pics but all I got was thumbnails. But the inky dinky thumb nails revealed it to be a 5 stranger with wood colored resonator. Had white tape on the headstock with what appeared to be 'Kay' scribbled on it. B) Might be salvagable, might be junk. I was needin' a minnow seine anyways.

Well... said banjer showed up at our doorstoop about a half an hour ago.

Guess what I get to do this afternoon. B) :o

pics to follow.

Cool!! I'm loving my (newish) banjo. Banjos are the mutts of the stringed instrument world. Anyone who thinks it's tough determining the birthdate/bloodlines of their old gibson guitar ought to spend a few days in Banjoland.

I like 'em all.

That's fantastic. Fantastic work, and fantastic explanation and documentation of it. I hope your family will cherish it for where the wood came from, who built it, and how.

Is any of the writing from the bottom of the stair still visible on any part of the completed banjo?

Again, my compliments. WAY cool.

Red 333

What was the first song you played on it?

To be honest, Mike, I can't remember. And since Gilliangirl started that whole "first song" thing I try to make note when I get a new instrument and usually remember about an hour AFTER the fact.

I suspect it was something slow in 3/4 time. Hard to imagine a banjo waltz but that's what I heard in my head the whole time I was building it.

Having a bit of difficulty uploading pics from my camera. Cain't figure out how to get the film door opened. But. It has a brushed brass label stuck to the head stock that reads, "Calista". On the back is an baseball shaped inspection label that looks identical to the one on my Harmony Est. , Stella. So I'm betting Japanese made.

No serial number plate. The body is cast aluminum, cheap hooks, one brace rod... Yup, definitely a $30 banjo. It does have upgraded tuner machine pegs, but missing the 5th string tuner.

As I was cleaning her up I noticed the shade of color varnish used to adorn the ply mahogany resonator bowl and, apparently one piece neck, is identical to the color of my 1974ish Japanese built Epiphone FT145SB. Which was probably made by Aria, back in the day. They way they overlapped the identical looking binding with the colorvarnish is too identical to be coincidence. I suspect this U-brand banjo was made in the same Aria factory at the same time as my old Epi. Kind of a kid sister to my 'Texan'... or maybe a kissin' cousin anyways

Sigh... pics to follow. You're gonna love the case.

Calista' date=' huh?

Pick a name, dude, any name. Mine's Gilbert.

Calista's Brother

Shux Scott, If'n I pulled off the "Callista" metal label I Might find Gilbert underneath! It's a dead ringer for Calista, 'ceptin' the arm rest. I'm thinkin' of callin' her "Sunflower" Once you >sigh< ..see the pics, you'll understand.

The tension ring seemed to fit 'Calli", but what do I know? This is the first banjer I've been up close and personal with.

There's a shim squidgin' out between the heel and pot. Would you recommend removing the big phillips head screw at the base of the heel? I tried to back it out but the #2 phillips screw driver. The screw didn't want to budge and started to climb out of the cross and I didn't want to booger it up. I'm thinking it's a #3. "I've got a #3, but where'd I put it?" Then again I thought, "Some things what look like they ought to be disassemblable, ought not to be disassembled."

They can say what they want about this pacrim banjer, it must have sounded good. She looks like she's got a lot of miles on her.

Pics, tomorrow... maybe.

That big phillips screw can stay put. It's basically going through an eye bolt, the threads of which are sticking out the heel. That bolt is always floppy and that's okay. The long turnbuckle type nut is what holds the neck on (duh) but also provides a method to shift the neck up and down if needed. The quick reaction is to think, wow, I can change the neck angle just by tightening this turnbuckle, which is TRUE but you're also distorting the pot in the process. Just "nicely tight" should be adequate and it's okay to use a wrench to get to that point, just don't go nuts. You probably noticed by now the hole in the rim is oblong so you can shift the neck bolt around a lot. There's not a lot of precision in these aluminum pot babies and no tight fitting joints like you'd expect of a "good" banjo. They are crude but work fine.

If the head is okay (no rips or pulling apart) then it's your call whether to replace it or not. Not a lot to be gained.... what I mean is, some would argue a new head would improve the tone; um, maybe, but it's not a Gibson Mastertone, so the average Joe might not even notice a difference. Tensioning the head is a maddening affair and a science all to itself. Bottom line is that you want as even a tension on each hook as you can get. It's a judgement thing, not something that can be measured. When strung up, the bridge should sink into the top a little, not much... maybe deflect it 1/8" or so.... again, no science. When I replace a head or take one off for whatever reason, I mount 4 and take them finger tight, then add the rest. Some tighten in a star pattern, some around the circumference.... who's right? who knows?

Pretty hard to mess up a lumie-pot so have fun.

Cassy, not Calli:

100_1742.jpg

Told you you'd like the case;

100_1739.jpg

All Her Glory:

100_1740.jpg

. BUGS!!!

100_1766.jpg

nah, just what's left of the strings.

Oxidized Al.

100_1744.jpg

Wonder if the 5th nut is a screw head? Also appears 5 Tunered Mary is missin' a digit.

100_1746.jpg

Note wear. That and the trail of wood stain that has been washed down the head from the feet of the bridge. She's been in some moisture here. But.. she appears to be a player.

100_1751.jpg

Turrnbuckle brace

100_1753.jpg

Non-Original tuners.. so much for the 'collectability' (rolls eyes) Actually, these planetary pegs are better pegs than the original guitar-like, right angle tuning machines. Somebody played her enough to feel she was worth upgrading.

100_1760.jpg

Right up there is the baseball shaped inspection sticker. Leftover goo from "MIJ" sticker below it, I suspect.

Sweet! The tool box had the bridge!

100_1763.jpg

... and a wrench!

100_1768.jpg

Inside of resonator

100_1770.jpg

Kissin' cousins

100_1789.jpg

Banjer binding:

100_1792.jpg

FT145SB (Epi) binding:.. or was that t'other way around???

100_1794.jpg

I couldn't wait. I didn't have a proper set of banjer strangs so I enlisted a single length of 8# test (I think) fishing line on the 3rd string position. Boy! is she loud.

Question: How do you keep the bridge from moving while you tune her up? I noticed after I had brought her up to pitch the bridge was leaning towards the nut. Then when I adjusted the tailpiece tensioner it leaned backwards? I suspect there in lies the difficulty in tuning a banjo.

I've had the head off to clean the pot. A few swipes with a damp cloth did the trick. I avoided Windex as aluminum and ammonia don't get along. But, I windexed the wood parts. I'll polish the wood and lemonoil the fingerboard later.

Re-hooking the head back, I didn't do anything scientifical. Just hooked them up and installed the locks and nuts.. Lots of nuts... (Don't tell Jesse "who is that girl... and why is she pointing at me?" Jackson) Finger tightened them, then drew them up as equal as I could. I started out in a star pattern, but by the time I got the first couple criss-cross sequences done, the rest had unhooked themselves. So I went in a circular pattern starting at the neck and working around to the trapeze, alternating sides. Then I assessed the situation and the treble side was a bit higher than the bass, so I cranked them a few more turns to get the hooks about level with the head.

Tightening the hooks reminds me of adjusting spokes on a bike rim. You can't adjust one. You have to adjust all the spokes in a wedge of the wheel. More twist in the middle, twisting a little less as you move away from the middle.

Here's the shim squidgin' out.

100_1771.jpg

Put 3 more lengths of 8# test on her. I then realized I don't know the proper tuning for a banjo... Better look at my tuning notes.

I plunked on it a while last night whilest reclining in my recliner. I could get to like this instrument. May have to get another one to give to Dad.

I cain't wait to get real banjo strings.

Got to order a 5th tuner from Stew-Mac... and maybe an armrest.. maybe an new nut and bridge.

Oh for the love of all that is good and holy, i've got BAS!

Pray for me. =P~

Haven't decided on a 5 Star tuning machine or the friction peg.... Have to do some measuring.

I wanted an armrest. Man!!! StewMac sure are proud of their arm rests...$10.00 for the cheap one that'd slit a banjer players wrist.... maybe that's the point... uh.. never mind... I'll have to fabricate one. Two small "T" braces and a scrap of wood ought to do the trick. Nope, nope.. 3 small "T" braces and a scrap of wood.

Archived