Gibson Brands Forums

earvana or roller nut?

Sklivas

Ok, so here it is. I'm *looking* at getting a stetsbar for my dot. At the same time, im going to change the tuners to lockers of some kind, for tuning stability, and i want to replace the nut... im thinking either an earvana nut or a roller... anyone tried anything like this and has an opinion on either?? can you use a roller with angled strings?

Thx everyone :-

My guess would be he means angled headstocks.. in which case yes. Roller nuts usually turn your tone to crap though. Go with a TUSQ if you want to ease friction for a trem.

sorry, by "angled" i meant not straight pull strings, so that the A, D, G and B come out of the nut at a bit left/right of perfectly straight... I heard that you can have tuning problems with strings going like this, especially with a trem

Ill check out TUSQ

I've got a Stetsbar I'll sell you. I had a tech set it up for me, which I recommend. I have a bone nut and Grover Rotomatics on my Gibson Les Paul (the guitar it was on) and I didn't have any tuning issues. I just decided it wasn't for me.

Earvana nuts are designed to improve or "fix" intonation problems on guitars, and wouldn't improve tuning problems due to the use of a whammy (Stetsbar, Bigsby or other).

I think what you want is a bone, Tusq or Graphtech nut and locking tuners for your Stetsbar upgrade. The SB has an integral bridge so a roller bridge is unecessary. This vid shows installation using string lube instead of a slippery nut:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Thx for the advice :) I like the idea of the TUSQ nut, but I'll take a look at bone, I've heard good things about them...

JCwill, is ur stetsbar left handed?? Thank for the offer:) I really hate being a leftie sometimes...

Thx for the advice [biggrin] I like the idea of the TUSQ nut' date=' but I'll take a look at bone, I've heard good things about them...

JCwill, is ur stetsbar left handed?? Thank for the offer:) I really hate being a leftie sometimes...[/quote']

Sorry, it's a righty.

• 1 year later...

My guess would be he means angled headstocks.. in which case yes. Roller nuts usually turn your tone to crap though. Go with a TUSQ if you want to ease friction for a trem.

Roller nuts are amazing sounding. Use your head for a second. What are your frets made of? What are roller nuts made of? Both are made of the same thing. So, now your fretted notes would sound the SAME as your open notes. If the bone etc. sounded so amazing, wouldn't your frets be made of bone too? Consider the roller nuts. I've owned over 2,000 axes and the very best have always had one thing in common, yep....roller nuts. Now all of my signature axes also have them. Like the commercial says, "don't leave home without it".

I've owned over 2,000 axes ...

Yikes.gif

Just like the ever-popular "tone-wood debate", I think this nut material/type stuff is just more guitar apocrypha. Plastic, bone, or petified Mastadon erection ... it is way more important that the nut be properly cut and polished. If a string binds in the nut, your tuning is going to be crap regardless of what said nut is constructed from.

That being said, I've personally had the best luck with Graphtech, but I can't say that I've heard any tonal difference between tham or any other nut material I've ever tried ... the suckers just stay in tune better (and Graphtech will bind up too if it's not cut properly).

Jim

Archived