Gibson Brands Forums

My first Epi. Les Paul

sdjjadk

Hello all,

How is everyone?

I am a member of the Gibson Forum and I own a 1987 Gibson SG Elite USA, but I got my first Epiphone a couple days ago, so I thought I'd join the Epi. forums. [omg]

I have always wanted a Les Paul since I saw my Uncle play his Gold Top when I was around 10 or 11 years old. But since Gibson's prices are way out of reach for a family raiser like me, I decided on an Epiphone version after trading in a bass that I had. I chose the plain top Les Paul standard in a Cherry Sunburst finish and am enjoying every aspect of it. I did however change the stock strings in favor of some E.B. Super Slinky's and I made a small action adjustment to get it to feel just like the Gibson counter part. Also, the one thing that really surprised me was that this was actually the first new guitar that I ever got that did not need an intonation adjustment! I also ordered some Gibson pickups, a 490 and a 498 and I will be installing those when I get them, this guitar in no way needs them, but it is just my personal preference.

I have heard people say that Epi's are not the greatest guitars, but I don't see why that was being said! I have been playing guitar for almost 30 years and I can say with out a doubt, that this guitar is absolutely fantastic and the fact that it has that famous signature makes it even cooler!

Here are a couple pics of my L.P. as promised. I will post more as soon as my wife clears out the memory card on her digi. cam.

mylespaul1.jpg

mylespaul2.jpg

If the pick guard looks damaged on the lower corner, it's not. It's the protective plastic pealing up.

I always leave that stuff on. lol

Shawn

Welcome to the forum Shawn!

There's some great folks around here, full of knowledge, jokes, and well, let's just say their full of it!

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Congrats on the new LP. I love mine!

Welcome to the forum Shawn!

There's some great folks around here' date=' full of knowledge, jokes, and well, let's just say their full of it!

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Congrats on the new LP. I love mine![/quote']

Thanks. [omg]

Is that your Les Paul in your avitar? I run lights for a local southern rock band and the lead guitarist has the Blueburst Epi.

It's a very beautiful guitar!

Shawn

Thanks. :)

Is that your Les Paul in your avitar? I run lights for a local southern rock band and the lead guitarist has the Blueburst Epi.

It's a very beautiful guitar!

Shawn

Yep, that's mine alright.

Thanks a lot!

Guest icantbuyafender

welcome.

I got my first epiphone while i was bussing tables at a mom n pop steakhouse at age 15. Originally it was an LP100, but a wiring issue had me upgrade a week later to a heritage cherry sunburst Les Paul standard plus top. Ace Frehley was a big deal to me, so the cherry burst was a must.

since then, its been 8 years and my epi LP collection has grown by three, and Im sure yours too will grow. kudos for the gibson pickups. Im a big fan myself. (but i prefer the lower output 490T as opposed to the 498T)

Welcome to the forum. you'll find that we're every bit gearhead/gearhound (if not more so) than the gibson forum.

Explore and feel at home!

Hey, hey, Shawn!!!!

(HAS to be easier to pronounce than "sdjjadk" - [biggrin] )

Welcome, also! I'm a former Gibby LP owner in my time,

slapped a set of 490R/498Ts in both my Epi LPs, so I

Know what tone you're looking for and what you mean

by personal preference. Wasn't anything "Wrong" with the

stock pups frpm Epi, just wanted to re-experience the

Gibson sound I remembered on a cheap-skate budget. :-

Worked for me. Gibsons were $700 to $1,000 for LP Deluxe

or Custom back in the day, now....Oooooweeeee, too many

dineros.

What prompted YOUR Epi purchase? Curiosity or Financial?

And as Deflepfan says - post the pics!

Hey' date=' hey, Shawn!!!!

What prompted YOUR Epi purchase? Curiosity or Financial?

And as Deflepfan says - post the pics![/quote']

It was a combination of things, Price, availability, curiosity, and most of all it was a Les Paul! [bored] And the fact that I had the exact amount of $'s after I sold my bass. ;)

Also, I'm at work right now, but I plan on posting pics of my new Epi when I get home tonight.

BTW, I'm also a DefLep Fan!

My first concert at an arena was Def Leppard on their Adrenalize / Live in the Round tour. I got 2nd row tickets on the floor and went with two older ladies! It was a great time! :)

Shawn

Congrats on your new Epi Les Paul.

I love Epiphones. I can't believe how great they are!

I hope you're able to enjoy yours for many years to come. :-

Thanks man and your video is great!!! You have some great pickin skills there!!! :-$ There's nothing better than a Les Paul being played through a Marshall!!!!!

Shawn

Ahhhhhhhh..... Gorgeous Guitar! Display it proudly -

I REALLY prefer the Trap inlays, myself! I go gonzo

over 2 things - Woodgrain, and a good Burst!

Howz it playin for you? The first EPI I bought, I was

astounded at the quality for the $$$ - 'course I HAD

to do the 498T/490R thing for "sentimental reasons"!

You'll be rockin'! What music do you play/prefer?

Ahhhhhhhh..... Gorgeous Guitar! Display it proudly -

I REALLY prefer the Trap inlays' date=' myself! I go gonzo

over 2 things - Woodgrain, and a good Burst!

Howz it playin for you? The first EPI I bought, I was

astounded at the quality for the $$$ - 'course I HAD

to do the 498T/490R thing for "sentimental reasons"!

You'll be rockin'! What music do you play/prefer?

[/quote']

Hello,

Thanks for the compliment. :-

it plays absolutely fantastic! It's just as good as my Gibby.

I'm also doing the 490/498's as well.

As far as my music pref. goes, I'm a huge KISS fan so Ace Frehley was a big influence. But, I love playing Classic and Southern rock as well as arena rock such as the Scorpions etc..

I also love playing stuff from the blues greats such as B.B. King, Muddy Waters, SRV, Jeff Beck and Clapton. And I can't forget the surf music greats like Jan and Dean and the Ventures.

The list goes on as long as it's NOT rap or pop!

Shawn

• 6 months later...

Archived