Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie here, and I have a question....

Tex-Dot

I just picked up my first Epiphone at Guitar Center last night - It's a 2004 Dot Studio:

epidot2.jpg

epidot1.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone pic quality, I haven't had time to take some decent ones yet.

My question is concerning the dot inlays. Did any of the Dot Studio's come with them? I can't find any like it online that had them and it has me thinking that the previous owner might have had it customized. If anyone can shed any light on it, I'd appreciate it.

As for the ax, I love it. I'm a beginner, having only been playing for a year or so, but this is the perfect electric for me. [blink] I got a great deal on it.

Never seen that, probably an after market add on, the twelfth fret dots seem a little close to the edges to be a factory job. Prolly DIY since the cost of inlaying the dots would be as much as the guitar.

Never seen that' date=' probably an after market add on, the twelfth fret dots seem a little close to the edges to be a factory job. Prolly DIY since the cost of inlaying the dots would be as much as the guitar.[/quote']

Yeah, thats what I figured. I wasn't sure if some of the older ones had them or not. Thanks!

tried researching this for you, I couldn't find a single dot studio with inlays. There's the Dot studio and the dot deluxe but not a dot studio deluxe, seems to me that it would be kind of strange to call it a studio deluxe anyway.

I wish Epiphone would put a link to pdf's of back catalogs on the main website., maybe they do but I couldn't find any. I found a 2003 catalog online but it didn't have a dot studio in it. Having access to the catalogs would help out a lot in situations like this. plus I'd love to see a catalog with my Gold LP Jr in it.

Not sure if it helps or not but the serial number on the back of the headstock is EE04040205. The sticker on the inside of the body doesn't have the serial number on it.

The serial will only tell where and when made. EE is China, 0404 is 2004, April, and the 0205 is the production run number for that month.

Are the inlays in cleanly?

Sheila

Here's another with Dot inlays:

Dot Studio on YouTube

Red 333

The guy in the video says that the inlays on his are aftermarket. On mine, they seem to fit pretty flush and smooth. If I had to guess, I'd still say they are aftermarket. Most of the ones I see online are newer than 2004, so I wasn't sure if they might have changed them slightly over the years. The gloss body looks better than the flat finish of the newer Studios in my opinion.

That guit has binding.... I didn't think studios had binding ??? I dunno... Perhaps a limited run of "special" Dot Studios for large retailers such as MF/GC ???

My 2004 Dot Studio had binding too.

Never seen that' date=' probably an after market add on, the twelfth fret dots seem a little close to the edges to be a factory job. Prolly DIY since the cost of inlaying the dots would be as much as the guitar.[/quote']

10 cents for the dots and a couple of hours work, guess you're getting paid well.

Even better if you actually have customers that will pay that rate, amazing...

As a matter of fact that is something I run into a lot.

Say someone breaks the headstock on their G400, then they come to me wanting a repair. I may quote them as much as $300 depending on the location and type of break. The response they invariably have is " But I only paid $250 for the guitar used 3 years ago." And they feel like since the guitar is cheap, the repair should be as well. Like it takes less work to re attach a cheap headstock than an expensive one. And in some cases it may take less, but not by much, and I have to charge a reasonable rate for everything I do. If I spend 3 hours on something, I charge for 3 hours labor, be it on a Squire or a Martin.

Its the same thing with your car. Say you drive a 95 Honda Accord. Just cause KBB values your car at $900 instead of $9000, does than mean when you go to the tire shop they sell you the same tires for less cause they are going on a cheap car?

Archived