Gibson Brands Forums

My new (used) guitar..finally here

gl297

well it took 2 and a half weeks, kind of long for ebay but it arrived yesterday. I changed out the pickup and put some DR strings on.

Here it is in action (short video, I don't know the whole song yet):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3GbyRjmo6E

lw001.jpg

The flash made the gold color much brighter than it actually is, in person it's just about the same as a Gold-top lp. The whole guitar is this color including the neck.

Hmmmmm...... What AMP are you going thru?

SWEET guitar, BTW! When you get tired of it, send it to ME!!!!!!!!!

(I have sandpaper on standby, ready to screw up the top! - yuk, yuk...).

[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

You MUST learn to play "Mississippi Queen" (Lead and Rhythm).

A song that is mandatory for all aspiring Rock Guitarists, actually

quite easy...

EDIT: appears you'll have to click on "video Vault", then type in

"mississippi queen" for search term, then watch part 1, then part 2....

(You'll like Vanderbilly - I use 'em all the time, helps me nail down chord

changes or lead runs that my ears think are not quite right...)!!!!

Part 1:

http://www.vanderbilly.com/Guitar-Lesson-Mountain+-+Mississippi+Queen+(Part+12),6673,1.html

Part 2:

http://www.vanderbilly.com/Guitar-Lesson-Mountain+-+Mississippi+Queen+(Part+22),6674,1.html

Hmmmmm...... What AMP are you going thru?

SWEET guitar' date=' BTW! When you get tired of it, send it to ME!!!!!!!!!

[thumbup [thumbup] [thumbup]

You MUST learn to play "Mississippi Queen" (Lead and Rhythm).

A song that is mandatory for all aspiring Rock Guitarists, actually

quite easy...

EDIT: appears you'll have to click on "video Vault", then type in

"mississippi queen" for search term, then watch part 1, then part 2....

(You'll like Vanderbilly - I use 'em all the time, helps me nail down chord

changes or lead runs that my ears think are not quite right...)!!!!

Part 1:

http://www.vanderbilly.com/Guitar-Lesson-Mountain+-+Mississippi+Queen+(Part+12),6673,1.html

Part 2:

http://www.vanderbilly.com/Guitar-Lesson-Mountain+-+Mississippi+Queen+(Part+22),6674,1.html

Thanks animalfarm, the amp is a Peavey Vypyr 15 I got used at a local shop for $35.00. thanks for the links too, I was actually checking those out a couple days ago, very helpful. I figured I'd do something different since there's already so many covers of MQ. Plus this is my favorite Mountain tune.

thanks brianh, the pickup is a Dean "Mountain of Tone", very powerful pickup 16+k, designed with Leslie West to get as close as possible to a P90 in a humbucker. I might eventually get around to your suggestions, thanks for that too.

Yeah, Vanderbilly.com is very useful for learning songs. I tried a

"Post Guitar Lessons" thread HERE not too long ago - failed

miserably. Ah, well.

$35.00 for a 15W amp is a great deal. I've gigged using a 50W amp,

and the only problem was getting the Rhythm player to TURN Down!

50W can't out-crank a 120W amp! Gotta slowly work up to a 100W plus

amp!

A "Mountain" fan! Not too many of the NOOBS even know who Leslie West is!

...the pickup is a Dean "Mountain of Tone"' date=' very powerful pickup 16+k, designed with Leslie West to get as close as possible to a P90 in a humbucker.[/quote']

Whoa, that should do the trick. I guess you won't be playing any Jacuzzi jazz on that thing!

A "Mountain" fan! Not too many of the NOOBS even know who Leslie West is!

gl: Sweet geet man!

...& paging Old_ Ampeg_Guy... If you're out there... Ya might wanna take us all to the Mountain!

eggmuffins

Whoa' date=' that should do the trick. I guess you won't be playing any Jacuzzi jazz on that thing![/quote']

In the videos I watched before buying the pickup Leslie West was demonstrating his signature guitar and loved that he could go from real clean to mean with just the volume control, no pedals needed. I'm not really getting the same results but I'm not using a $2500.00 Budda amp either....how I wish.

thanks eggmuffins

*as you can probably tell, I haven't figured out how to double quote yet.

I played TGIFINTX's "Michael Kelly" Patriot git with Rockfield

pickups - had no problem getting the correct "mountain" tone -

of course it had "coil tap" option - he's a Drummer, and even he said -

"Das' it - u got it!" Good Dude - wish all musicians I met were so

cool. This guy would give you the shirt off his back if he thought you needed it.

Nothing but praises for the man from my end.

Nice guitar, buddy! Something about those Les Paul Jr's that just screams "COOLNESS"!

I also applaud your choice of music to demo the guitar. Leslie and I were pretty close back in the day when I lived in New York. We would meet for lunch often (man, could that boy pack it away) at Katz's Deli on Houston Street and even jammed together with my band on a few occasions. One of the nicest, most decent men you'd ever want to meet!

One of the bands I was in back in the 70's eveb did a cover of "Long Red" as sort of a tribute. I'll have to see if I have a tape laying around here and convert it for you guys.

Again, congrats on the new guitar!

Jim

Nice guitar' date=' buddy! Something about those Les Paul Jr's that just screams "COOLNESS"!

I also applaud your choice of music to demo the guitar. Leslie and I were pretty close back in the day when I lived in New York. We would meet for lunch often (man, could that boy pack it away) at Katz's Deli on Houston Street and even jammed together with my band on a few occasions. One of the nicest, most decent men you'd ever want to meet!

One of the bands I was in back in the 70's even did a cover of "Long Red" as sort of a tribute. I'll have to see if I have a tape laying around here and convert it for you guys.

Again, congrats on the new guitar!

Jim

[/quote']

Jim,

Very cool Leslie West story... & I am waiting for Old_Ampeg_Guy to hopefully chime in with a great concert recollection of Mountain... but, personally, more menu details from Katz's would have have rounded the whole deal out[biggrin] !

Re LP Jr's screaming COOL... but of course... & this gives me yet another opportunity to give my baby an outing[cool] .

epiphonelespauljunior.jpg

Said it before... They are great fun!

S

Menu details from Katz's Deli' date=' huh? Your wish is my command:

http://www.katzdeli.com/menu_download.pdf

As for me and Leslie West at lunch? One of each wouldn't be that inaccurate! [biggrin

Jim

Thanks Jim... my good wife will have a Ruebens & line me up a Knobelwurst[biggrin]

From the petit Epi-curean that is...

eggmuffins

PS: I just YouTubed a six pack of 'Mountain' dew to wash this down... Nectar!

gl: Sweet geet man!

...& paging Old_ Ampeg_Guy... If you're out there... Ya might wanna take us all to the Mountain!

eggmuffins

Hey, man!, I agree-gl's Jr. is very cool. Love the color and the new pickup sounds awesome.

When I saw Mountain live in the early 1970s, Mr. West was using a Les Paul Jr. and a Flying V (he used the Jr. for most of the set). IIRC, both had just one P-90 in the bridge position.

The thing he did that I thought was unbelievably cool was he'd slam the bottom of the guitar against his knee as he hit a power chord, and let the guitar bounce up to about his chest or even chin.

Corky Laing was also a great showman--he would slam his drumsticks down as hard as he could on rimshots and pieces of broken stick would fly into the air. Sometimes I thought he was actually throwing entire sticks way up toward the proscenium!

Felix Pappalardi was an amazing bass player. Tastful and very, very heavy. ("Heavy," when I was growing up, was a term of approval.)

I wore out "Mountain Climbing." I think "Theme for an Imaginary Western" (written by Jack Bruce, eggmuffins!) was and is my favorite Mountain song.

Old Ampeg Guy

. . . I also applaud your choice of music to demo the guitar. Leslie and I were pretty close back in the day when I lived in New York. We would meet for lunch often (man' date=' could that boy pack it away) at Katz's Deli on Houston Street and even jammed together with my band on a few occasions. One of the nicest, most decent men you'd ever want to meet! . . . Jim[/quote']

It's very cool that you got to hang out with Leslie West, Jim! Something of which I could only dream.[smile] I read in Guitar Player that he began giving lessons for a while after Mountain disbanded.

Ahhhh . . . Katz's Deli. The wife and I visited during our last trip (did the whole Lower East Side, including Pickle Brothers, where I got some "blow your head off'" horseradish, and the rabbi next door to them where we got a scroll for our front door mezuzah). The best pastrami and corned beef sandwiches, but DON'T LOSE YOUR TICKET![biggrin]

Old Ampeg Guy

. . . Re LP Jr's screaming COOL... but of course... & this gives me yet another opportunity to give my baby an outing[cool] . . . Said it before... They are great fun!

S

I agree wholeheartedly' date=' eggmuffins! Juniors are enormous fun, and both gl's and yours are beautiful examples. The color of his and the pickguard and the SIGNATURE on yours are particularly striking.

With respect to my own Jr., however, I had to make some slight, um, modifications. I am chasing that nearly impossible dream of a Wes Montgomery tone on a solidbody. This is my practice guitar (I really, really love it!) and I'm working my way through "Misty" by Errol Garner (don't have the bridge learned yet).

[img']http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad5/Shieldbearer/Guitars/Cropped_1-1.jpg[/img]

Here's our "dog-cat" Gary checking it out:

Cropped_3.jpg

Old Ampeg Guy

Thanks for the nice comments on the guitar guys, yeah I love it and yes Plymouth58 the pickup is everything I was expecting.

Wow Midiman, jamming with Leslie West, that's great!

I've only seen him live once and that was at a real small club called the "Jumbo" (how appropriate) in Somerville, MA. It's gone now. This was sometime in the 80's. He was HUGE and had to sit on something that looked like a keg. I was within 5 feet from him and could have touched his tuners, Corky Laing was with him and he was doing all kinds of crazy stuff. Great show. I also saw SRV 5 times in clubs and Alvin Lee 3 times, Randy Rhoads twice. Man was I born at the right time!

I'd say that Mr. West looks better today than he ever has, even when he was a teenager. Good for him.

As for the guitar, I love everything about it.

Another Old Timer chiming in here......

Saw Mountain a few times back in the day.

Last saw Leslie at Bethel Woods last year for the Woodstock 40th.

Of course he is now playing the Dean LW Sig guitar.

Elliott "Dean" Rubinson even played bass for Leslie's set.

Was privileged to be a witness (along with 18,000 others) at Leslie's wedding. He got married on stage at Bethel under a canopy of White Les Pauls held up by Country Joe McDonald, Levon Helm, Tom Constanten and others.

Then he played out his heart with Mississippi Queen to his new bride. It was sheer magic!!

pete

Archived