Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt acoustics? Any good?

jonny_2_owls

Title says it all really...

I'm looking for a new acoustic and today in my local shop I played an Inspired By Epiphone Texan. It was pretty good although not as good as one I played in a manchester store a month or so ago. My local store also had an AJ-500 Masterbilt acoustic which was very nice too. A much bigger sound and to my ears a nicer tone.

I've not played (or seen) one of the masterbilt series guitars before and wondered what everyone elses opinions of them are.

Cheers

Johnny,

The Masterbilts have an excellent reputation among their owners and players. They get frequent highly-positive reviews in guitar magazines, too. This month's Acoustic Magazine says lots of nice things about the EF500RCC, for instance. One British magazine (I don't remember which) commented that the AJ500M was as good as any guitar that had come through their doors for review.

Guitar tone, playability, and quality are subjective in many ways, so try before you buy, but the concensus is that the Masterbiilts are fine instruments in general, and a very good value.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Red 333

Title says it all really...

I'm looking for a new acoustic and today in my local shop I played an Inspired By Epiphone Texan. It was pretty good although not as good as one I played in a manchester store a month or so ago. My local store also had an AJ-500 Masterbilt acoustic which was very nice too. A much bigger sound and to my ears a nicer tone.

I've not played (or seen) one of the masterbilt series guitars before and wondered what everyone elses opinions of them are.

Cheers

Play like butter, sound like a bell

I have tried a few Masterbilts and didn't care for them. The ones I have played just had a sort of " dry " tone. But of course, acoustics are gonna vary greatly and with all the good rep that the Materbilts get I have always chalked it up that I have just not been lucky enough to play one of those good ones. My last acoustic purchase was a " Recording King " which I have been very pleased with.

I was a sound engineer for a band where the lead singer has a Gibson J45 and an AJ500 he often switches between the two and I am always amazed at the sound of the AJ500. When you play them side by side you can tell a difference in the "quality" of the sound, but there was a couple of gigs where he didn't have the J45 and the EPi Masterbuilt sounded great. It sounded good enough that I went and bought the DR-500MCE and I am real happy with it. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the vintage sunburst version. With the eSonic electronics it's extremely versatile.

Thanks for the responses..

So well......

I went back to my local shop and got the masterbilt - AJ500 ME.

For the money it's a lot of guitar and it sounds great!

The guy in the shop commented on how good it sounded, saying it made me play very chilled out and mellow (I never know what to play when I'm in a guitar shop).

I'm not massively keen on the factory strings so I'll probably be changing them soon and after a few days playing I may see if I can lower the action a touch. Anyone know if this is an easy task?

But all in all I'm very pleased with it, a great guitar!

Archived