Gibson Brands Forums

I broke it. ????

[confused]

I just bought my first ever electric guitar. A beauty. A used 07 Epi LP studio. Like new. Been playing it the last few days and I have been lovin life. So, since I haven't played in like 15 years got up this moring and went to practice. Tuned it up with the electonic tuner and plugged in into the amp. But (remember I'm new to this) stuck the cord into the headphone jack. Now, I got nothin'. No noise from the amp. The Korg tuner doesn't see a signal either. Have I killed it? Really?

Unlikely, dude.

Guitars just don't break overnight. Try the obvious. Volume knobs, standby switches, pedal batteries, cords etc. And believe me, if it is something silly, you will not be the first to slap your forehead and look around to make sure no one saw.

Keep us posted.

Yeah, that what I figured at first too. So I set everything at mid point, set the amp at 4, flipped the toggle and tried all settings. Then I hooked it up to the tuner that had just worked and got no signal there either. But Y'all agree, plugging into the headphone jack shouldn't break it? Right? [confused]

Oh yeah, and all I have is the amp (Frontman 15-G) and the guitar. Don't see any kind of standby switch.

And you made sure the cable was pushed in all the way? On the guitar, and the amp?

I only ask because sometimes on my fender amp I don't push it in all the way and for a second I can't figure out what's wrong.

[confused]

Now' date=' I got nothin'. No noise from the amp. The Korg tuner doesn't see a signal either. Have I killed it? Really?

[/quote'] Highly doubtful you've hurt the guitar .... dunno 'bout the amp..... but I could be wrong on both counts....almost makes me want to try with my disposable Epiphone Studio 15R ss amp, but.....I kind of like having a backup to my backup amp [wink]

Its probably just a loose connection' date=' open it up and look for anything obvious.[/quote']

I'd start with the output jack on the guitar. I had a wire break off of my SG shortly after buying it. If you have a multimeter you can check for output from the guitar with the multimeter. Actually the first thing I would do is try a different cable if you have one.

I agree about the guitar cable, try a new one. I've had several go bad. Some were easy fixes, others not so. Is it a descent cable, or one of the cheapy cheapos that Epi gives away with new guitars. If it is, I'd bet on the cord.

If not the cable, I'd look at the jack on your guitar. Maybe one of the wires have broken off and just needs to be soldered on again. Regardless, it can't be exttremely serious.

Well' date=' thanks all. It's in the shop now. Went and tried my local music shop's cord and amp and it is definitly the git fiddle. Probably a broken wire somewhere. [/quote']

That's the best thing to do if you're not comfortable digging into it yourself. Please let us know the outcome.

That's the best thing to do if you're not comfortable digging into it yourself. Please let us know the outcome.

Definitely interested in what your find.

No output = Broken wire. I'm guessing output jack was

loose, spun while plugging/unplugging, broke one of the

two wires. Hmmmmm.....

Definitely interested in what your find.

No output = Broken wire. I'm guessing output jack was

loose' date=' spun while plugging/unplugging, broke one of the

two wires. Hmmmmm.....[/quote']

I have done some soldering in the past when playing with radios wiring mic's etc. I had opened the covers and eyeballed the wiring looking for obvious breaks, especially the output jack. I didn't see anything, but I could've missed it. I will post when I hear from the repair guy tomorrow. I can't imagine it's anything other than a broken wire somewhere.

Unlikely' date=' dude.

,,,if it is something silly, you will not be the first to slap your forehead and look around to make sure no one saw.

[/quote']

I'd start with the output jack on the guitar.
I'd look at the jack on your guitar. Maybe one of the wires have broken off
No output = Broken wire. I'm guessing output jack

Your tech said at the output jack? Hey, way to go, Folks!!!!!!!

Your tech said at the output jack? Hey' date=' way to go, Folks!!!!!!![/quote']

That's what I thought he said on phone....but when I picked it up he said it was the wiring for the switch. I guess the ground is wound around the lead and there was a break in the insulation that shorted the thing. Anyway, $26.00 to fix plus had him restring and set up. And now I am back to trying to make something nice sounding come out of it. And, damn I wish I were better at that. I will post pics if I can figure it out.

Thanks all.

Hmmm- Well, the output of the Pup selector switch

DOES go to the "hot" on the Guitar output jack, the other

wire at jack is for ground.

So we were RIGHT anyway!!!!!! Yar, Yar, Yar!!!!!!

Glad git is back on line!

[biggrin]:-k[biggrin]

Archived