Gibson Brands Forums

New Tuners For My SG G-400?

BryanFoFyan

i want a more vintage look for my g-400 and am looking at the vintage "green key" tuners from guitar fetish. i was wondering if anyone has ever tried these or tuners in general from there as i dont want to sacrifice performance for looks. right now i have the standard grover tuners that come on it. thnx for any help you can give.

DON"T DO IT!!

I bought those exact tuners from Guitar fetish and put them on my '97 LP. I did this because they look exactly like the original ones that were on there when I bought it. And the originals needed replacement. They were not working too good. There's a pic below. I can't remember if those are the old ones or the new ones.

Now, they are much better than what was on there.

But they are NOT better than the Grovers on your G400.

I have a 2006 G400 that I bought new. Those tuners are BETTER than the green keys from GFS.

This is just my opinion. But I strongly believe it to be true.

If you are more concerned with looks then function, by all means get the GFS tuners. But I would get something that is better made.

If you want a better tuner, leave what you have on there.

They work great.

And I think they look just fine. BTW, who looks at the tuners when you're playing anyway?

DSC00106-2-1.jpg

can you recomend other brands or models in that style that function better?

Nope. I can only tell you that your stock tuners on your G400 are way better than those GFS green keys.

You are also going to have to get some kind of Vintage-style Bushing to fit inside the hole because I think the holes will be too big for those tuners. I could be wrong on that, however.

Grover Vintage Green Keystones. I got my set from stewmac for $45 plus shipping. I also bought a set of the GFS green keystones, they are definitely a step down from the Grovers on your guitar. GFS does sell the larger bushing taht will fit your guitar. They stock tuners are actually pretty good, I just liked the looks of the Green Keystones. It was an easy mod. I think the Kluson Green Keys will need larger bushings too. The holes on my G-400s were 10mm. The shafts on the GFS are 8mm, I think the Klusons are too.

SG003.jpg

SG002-1.jpg

Anyone know where I can get perloid keystone tuners? I like the vintage vibe but the green won't cut it with my artic white SG. Thanks.

Wilkinson has cream keystones. I don't know of any pearloid machines....

im on stewmac and wondering which tuners would be better for the money. the vintage grover deluxe tuners or the gotoh vintage keystone tuners and what would be the process of installing these onto my g-400? difficult of easy upgrade?

Wilkinson make great cream Kluson style tuners. You can pick up a brand spanking new set off Ebay for under $30. They're every bit as good as the more expensive brands, but for a fraction of the price. I put a set on my Les Paul, and they're great, probably my favourite tuners to use on any of my guitars.

In fact, here's a link to the seller that I, and a few others, have purchased the Wilkinsons from. Very fast and reliable, and oh so cheap. $22.00 + $.500 shipping for a set of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilkinson-Deluxe-Tuners-Vintage-Bell-CHROME-3-3-/390206026523?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5ada17731b

Here's a pic too. This is my Les Paul. They look pretty white here, buth ave aged a bit since I've had them and look better now.

DSC00755.jpg?t=1276041683

what is the installation for these just adding a second screw hole for the top screw?

Pretty much. With the Grovers I installed I had to drill 2 on for back for each tuner, the existing (bottom) hole didn't quite line up. The case of the tuner almost totally covered the hole, but a little still shows. If you look at my pic you can see just a bit, say 15% didn't get covered.

I can't speak for the Klusons.

Tape the back of your guitar before drilling to insure that you don't crack or chip the finish.

The Wilkinsons line up perfectly with the existing Grover screw hole. So all you need to do is drill the second hole in the top, fit some adaptor bushings, and you're good to go.

• 3 weeks later...

checked out those wilkinson tuners but are they as good as the stock grovers or grover deluxe tuners?. Anyone know a good website with fast and reliable shipping where i can get the grover deluxe tuners or wilkinson tuners and the bushings i need to fit them to my G400?

Archived