Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG vs. Epiphone LP?

Bliss

Interesting that people seem them as comparable instruments' date=' as far as guitars go I find them to play and sound completely different.

If there was only 1 to choose from I'd make it the LP.[/quote']

not as different as a strat or tele or superstrat though; when you widen your field of vision you can see how they're similar.

I really think trying an Epi or Gibson might change your mind about SGs (especially the Gibbys). I wasn't a big fan until I got mine and now I love them.

I don't understand your line of thinking at all.

Twice now you have stated that he should try an Epi or Gibby SG. You say you think he'd like them better.

But his biggest problem with the SG is the fact that the neck sticks out farther than on the LP and many other guitars.

So how is trying an Epi or Gibby SG going to change this?? It's NOT!

They too have the exact same think going on with the neck.

So again, I don't understand your line of thinking. It makes no sense.

For me it poses no problem. I just move my hand a little farther down.

I have both the Epi Les Paul Standard Plus-Top and the SG 400 (both left handed) and love them both. At the moment I am playing the SG more but give it a month and I will be back on the Les Paul, then another month and it will beback to the SG.....

To be honest I think they are both amazing value for money. OK the balance of the SG can take some getting used to but the neck is so lovely to play it's a minor quibble you soon forget about.

I love the sound and resonance of my Les Paul standard. I bought it from a car boot sale for £150 and it's like new, it turned out to be a Samick 2001 made guitar. But having owned a 1980s SG way back I'd say the SG was easier to play, certainly for faster runs etc. But given the price difference of my Epi LP against the 80s Gibson I'd say the sound from the Epi is more complete.

Oh btw not sure if it's err allowed but here's a link to me playing the epi LP thru the Peavey transtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy0qmu01I9Q&feature=related

UKSI - Been eating your Stevie Ray V. vitamins, I see!

Good blues runs - gotta play 'em on top of some blues

backing track!!!! Much better, you'd LOVE the results!

Free Backing Tracks, Mp3 download:

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

Go to section "J" for "jamtracks" -

Blues, shuffles, rock, boogie, and more....

I have LOTS of downloads from these folks!!!!!!!

Personal choice. I prefer the appearance of the LP but the access to the upper frets on the SG is just too easy to ignore. I also thought the quality of the SG was far superior to the LPs. I looked at the prophecy's, the LP "standard plus", the Ultra & Ultra IIs, & the G-400s. I bought the G-400 LE/CS in alpine white. No regrets. The LP looks better but the SG plays WAY better.

Happy Chosing.

I don't understand your line of thinking at all.

Twice now you have stated that he should try an Epi or Gibby SG. You say you think he'd like them better.

But his biggest problem with the SG is the fact that the neck sticks out farther than on the LP and many other guitars.

So how is trying an Epi or Gibby SG going to change this?? It's NOT!

They too have the exact same think going on with the neck.

So again' date=' I don't understand your line of thinking. It makes no sense.

For me it poses no problem. I just move my hand a little farther down. [/quote']

Were the dimensions on the SG copy he tried the same as those of the Epi or Gibson SGs? If yes, then you have a point. If not, then trying a real one would give him a better idea of how an SG felt rather than how a copy feels.

I had the same dilemma when I bought my Prophecy SG. I decided to get the SG because I already had a LP and the SG was cheaper ;-)

It was the best choice: the SG feels amazing. Its feel is between a Stratocaster and a Les Paul, very comfortable, also because it's very light compared to a LP. The neck acces is also a lot better on a SG.

Post pictures when you get your new guitar ;-)

DSC00405a.jpg

i already have one :D

its an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with A Cherry Sunburst Finish :-

i made this thread cause i was just wondering :D

LP = hot >:)

for the pics.

i made my own thread and dont know where it is now XD

I agree with Plymouth. The small detail of getting used to the neck stickout is a worthy trade off for the less weight and easy access to the upper frets. Also if you don't have real large hands try an SG with the slim tapered speed neck. They are sleek and super easy to play on. All my guitars have the slim tapered neck now of one type or another and I don't play any guitar without them. I own both Prophecy SG's the GX & the EX. Every person that has tried one or the other falls in love with the satin slim tapered necks. All I can say is try em all out before you make a decision. Peace

P.S. Plymouth welcome to the Prophecy Club!

Rewd.

Archived