Gibson Brands Forums

I gave up on the Wildkat... for now (NGD)

Spyke1

Hi all,

Some of you may know that I've had two attempts at Wildkat ownership, and got bitten both times by QC issues. The first had bridge post holes misdrilled, and the second had poorly finished fingerboard binding. Getting a bit fed up of returning Wildkats all the time, I tried one of these out and then upgraded my order with my dealer to get one instead: a Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC! Quality control is perfect, the Bigsby is set up beautifully, the finishing is all A1 and the neck is really comfortable for me. Yes, I miss the P90 bite and growl, and the pickups are probably the only low point in the guitar, but these can (and probably will) be upgraded later on...

5122_01.jpg

5122_06.jpg

5122_07.jpg

[crying]

Spyke, bloody good choice me thinx

The electromatic looks like a fine example, and as you say no QC Problems that would put you off.

Let us all know how it goes when youve had time to flog it in a bit.

Nice guitar, too bad about the Kat........

Like I said before Kats are kool but everyone I've seen has needed a bit of work.

When done however, they're Hotttt................

Rita.jpg

That's Rita Hayworth for you young pups :-

She is beautiful. Great choice.

I have played two 51xx series next to a Chinese and Korean Sheraton last year.

They where just as good if not better than the Korean, and blew away the Chinese(in fact, it was almost unplayable)

The pickups did sound a little weak (or maybe I'm not used to them)

Happy New Guitar Day, Finally!

Mark

Nice guitar' date=' too bad about the Kat........

Like I said before Kats are kool but everyone I've seen has needed a bit of work.

When done however, they're H[i']otttt................[/i]

Rita.jpg

That's Rita Hayworth for you young pups :-

SLEDGE - There's gotta be a joke about pups here somewhere...

SPYKE1 - I assume when you had your 'Kats you had the opportunity to give them a proper test drive, yeah? How does the Gretsch compare - tone, feel, playabiity.... I'd love to know how the 'Kat stacks up!

Pennyman, I had the first 'Kat for a few months and it was a real nice guitar, except for the dodgy post holes. It played well and sounded good. When I exchanged it under warranty, the second was Chinese-made and felt lifeless and dull by comparison. The poor finishing on the neck prompted me to return it again, under warranty, but before my 3rd 'Kat was sent out to me I had tried a G5122DC in a store and decided to pay a little extra and see if I had any better luck with that instead. And I did!

Playability-wise, it's like the neck just disappears. It's wide and shallow with a 12" radius and it feels so easy for everything: barre chords, bends, runs, the works. It came with a good low action too, just less than 1.5mm (that's low for me!) and a really good set up. I don't know if it was set up by the dealer or whether it came from the factory like that, mind. It's Korean-made.

If/when I upgrade the pickups I'll go for something more traditionally Gretsch-ish than the standard humbuckers. TV Jones Classics, or Filtertrons or something like that. I've already ordered a Compton compensated bridge in stainless steel for it.

Sledge, wasn't Rita Hayworth the most beautiful woman on the planet at that time?!? :-

Go Dynasonics on that Gretsch (like a Falcon) and you'll never look back.

GFS even makes a "Dyna" style (without the deep mechanicals, not adjustable but from all that have gotten them,

not a bad sound.)

You may find that 1 Dyna & 1 Filtertron mixed will get you to tone heaven.

JM$.02

Go Dynasonics on that Gretsch (like a Falcon) and you'll never look back.

GFS even makes a "Dyna" style (without the deep mechanicals' date=' not adjustable but from all that have gotten them,

not a bad sound.)

You may find that 1 Dyna & 1 Filtertron mixed will get you to tone heaven.

JM$.02[/quote']

I'm soooo new to the world of Gretsch style pickups. Dynasonics, Filtertrons, Hi-Lo, TV Jones Classics, Classic Pluses, Powertrons... AAARGH! Sounds like a cast list for the next Transformers movie...

I tried one of those G5122's in the store - nice guitar, but I wanted single coils, (and I didn't like the clear pickguard it had) so I settled for a new black MIC Wildkat that had been in my local music store for some time. What I really wanted, was an ES95, but they've been discontinued. After buying the Wildkat, I found out another store could still order me a new MIK ES295.

Congrats on the new guitar!!!! Enjoy it.

The way I look at it - giving up one guitar to get another is just natural selection - thins out the herd. It is also, alas often a financial necessity.

I just gave up a very sweet pumpkin top 1913 Gibson Model A mandolin. I miss it but then again now sitting over there in the corner is a 1931-1932 National Duolian. Helps ease the pain.

Archived