Gibson Brands Forums

Learning Material

Hawnted

I just bought my first guitar last week and have been using justinguitar as my learning source. Someone here in my "First Guitar" thread mentioned Learn and Master guitar so that is another option. Before I purchased that course, I just wanted to start a thread to see if people had any other suggestions of courses/sites/dvds/books to learn guitar before I drop $250 on the L&M class.

Thanks in advance!

I just bought my first guitar last week and have been using justinguitar as my learning source. Someone here in my "First Guitar" thread mentioned Learn and Master guitar so that is another option. Before I purchased that course' date=' I just wanted to start a thread to see if people had any other suggestions of courses/sites/dvds/books to learn guitar before I drop $250 on the L&M class.

Thanks in advance![/quote']

This site has some useful lessons. If you feel competent, I would think that there is enough websites and online information to start learning without paying fees. That said however, I would assume that paying fees gets you perhaps better quality instruction? Perhaps?

One of the best ways to learn is to find other guitarists and learn from them.

Guitar Lessons link here......

Good luck.

Stewart B

If you want to learn by yourself I would suggest the following book/CD combos depending on your preferences:-

Total Rock Guitar by Troy Stetina

Blues You Can Use by John Ganapes

Alan

I have Learn & Master Guitar. The quality is very good, it is well produced. Many of the guitar training video courses are very poorly produced but L&M Guitar is not one of these. Whether or not it is right for you depends on your goals. Unlike many of the courses out there it teaches how to read music. There are many guitarists who do not know how to read music so if you don't want to learn how to read music you may want to look elsewhere. Personally, I lost interest in L&M Guitar, it seemed to move pretty slow. I took lessons for several years as a kid so much of it was redundant for me. So far the lessons that I have learned the most from have been from Kenny Salter (Guitar in 60 Seconds & Lead Guitar Boot Camp). He just started a subscription service (7.95 a month I believe for the first 500 subscribers) but there isn't much on it yet. He is supposed to make Guitar in 60 Seconds available on it but hasn't yet.

Regarding the free stuff available, the problem that I had with it is that is seems very unstructured and I found it hard to know what to focus on. But there are many good free sites so you may want to try them first.

Update-- Kenny Salter did add Guitar in 60 seconds to his Guitar Player Academy site and he said he will add Lead Guitar Boot Camp in the next day or so.

Hawnted,

Everyone so far has offered you some very good suggestions. A couple of things come to mind.

How old are you? What kind of music do you like? Are you trying to learn music or songs? (they go hand in hand and

there is nothing wrong with either....you will learn from both)

If you live long enough and continue with guitar you will never know enough and you will always hunger for more.

Where do you start? Being honest with yourself!

Learn your notes and cords. (plenty of info out there for that)

Practice all you can. (sit with the television or radio and play with whatever is on)

Play with others whenever you can.

If you feel something...Look for it until you can play it the way you want.

No matter what you do....If you continue to do it you will get better at it.

Not sure if this will help.

Willy

You mentioned Justinguitar, Justin Sandercoe has great beginner lessons and songs as well.

He doesn't charge but he does ask you to donate if you feel you can learn from him (and you can) it isn't required but I couldn't help myself, he has so much to offer I had to donate.

If I were you I'd save my money for now and soak up what ever you can from justinguitar and donate if you like.

To answer some of the questions...

1. I am 34

2. I like classic rock, alt rock, blues, jazz, pop rock, acoustic singer/songwriter type music

Some of my favorite bands/artists for reference: Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, John Mayer, Pearl Jam, Jack Johnson, Maroon 5, Metallica, REM

I really want to just focus on learning songs for now to be able to play along with coworkers and friends that play guitar or other instruments. However, I would love to be able to improvise and be creative with my own stuff. It is also VERY important to me to be able to sing and play at the same time as well.

Ive used the net and books for 4 years. have gotten to a stage i cant get past and now have started to have lessons.

If you want to learn songs then try Vguitarlessons as he teaches a variety of songs for very cheap price and there very good videos. Also when you subscribe you get 12 beginer free lessons emailed to you.

To answer some of the questions...

I like classic rock' date=' alt rock, blues, jazz, pop rock, acoustic singer/songwriter type music

Some of my favorite bands/artists for reference: Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, John Mayer, Pearl Jam, Jack Johnson, Maroon 5, Metallica, REM

I really want to just focus on learning songs for now to be able to play along with coworkers and friends that play guitar or other instruments. However, I would love to be able to improvise and be creative with my own stuff. It is also VERY important to me to be able to sing and play at the same time as well.[/quote']

I taught MYSELF to play using a "Mel Bay" chord book. As you are mentioning

that you just bought your FIRST Guitar, the following may not apply to you just yet.

But it WILL Someday!!!!! [biggrin]

Are you able to watch other guitarists play a tune, then do what they did?

Look this link over. I find it quite useful to hit youtube and vanderbilly to

"see" how someone else plays a tune if I'm hitting a glitch on a part...

This is also as good a time as any to add another "lesson" and BUMP it

back to the Top for others who haven't seen it yet.

"Post a Guitar Lesson" (Epihone Forums)

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=13896

The books I suggested above will cover virtually all the styles you like, bar Jazz.

I wouldn't stick to tabs/covers only as you need to develop techniques and knowledge of chord progressions, scales and so on. As such, instruction (whether book+CD, web or tutor) + covers to maintain interest and put your learning in to practice is the way to go.

I've been playing most of my life. I've used books, live teachers, DVDs, tabs, you name it.

I think the books & tabs are probably the worst way to try to start. You need some feedback. The DVDs may be ok, on-line may be ok, but I think your best bet is to find a real live person. I learn far better with someone real to interact with. Everyone is different but music has been passed down from generation to generation this may through the centuries. How to choose an instructor is the hardest part. Some are better than others. Some are just plain bad. Some are great. My suggestion is to find a high quality music store near your home that has been around a few decades and inquire within. I think you'll find the cost reasonable. I've found that the better instructors eventually end up with the music stores that have been around a few decades. Give it a try. You'll know if you're wasintg your time or not after the 1st few lessons. Don't give up if you're not happy with the 1st instructor. It may take a couple of tries before you find someone you think is worth your time.

If you give a few real live people a try and haven't made any progress then give the DVDs, on-line, books, whatever a go. You've got nothing to lose.

Good Luck

I know the following chords (well, I know where to put my fingers)

G, CAdd9, C, D, E, E minor, and A...I am trying to learn how to play Green Day - Good Riddance (Time of Your Life). It only uses G, CAdd9, D, and E Minor. I cannot for the life of me, switch from CAdd9 (or any other chord from that matter) to D. D has been very tough for me. I can switch FROM D to other chords, but going TO D, has been extremely tough. Does anyone have any tips? I have been practicing this same song for about a total of 2 weeks and am doing OK until I get to the D.

The chord Progression basically goes: G-G-C-D----G-G-C-D----E....and so on

I know the following chords (well' date=' I know where to put my fingers)

G, CAdd9, C, D, E, E minor, and A...I am trying to learn how to play Green Day - Good Riddance (Time of Your Life). It only uses G, CAdd9, D, and E Minor. I cannot for the life of me, switch from CAdd9 (or any other chord from that matter) to D. D has been very tough for me. I can switch FROM D to other chords, but going TO D, has been extremely tough. Does anyone have any tips? I have been practicing this same song for about a total of 2 weeks and am doing OK until I get to the D.

The chord Progression basically goes: G-G-C-D----G-G-C-D----E....and so on[/quote']

The first song I learned had a chord change from G to D, and I learned it pretty quick. Instead of 'playing' the guitar, just hold it, finger the G chord, then slowly move to the D chord, and then back. Do this without strumming. Think about how you are moving your fingers off of one chord and move your fingers into the shape of the next chord. Keep it slow, and repeat, back and forth. After you do this a few times, try doing it without looking at the fretboard. And keep practicing, it is the ONLY way you are going to nail this. Be patient, it'll come.

I know a lot of people have the G to D issue, so you are not alone.

Sheila

It is in muscle memory to a large part. you have to make the muscles in your fingers accustomed to where they should be put making it automatic. that takes time, and dont worry if you feel weeks go by withoout result. You are progressing, it just takes time.

Good advise just making the change from one chord to D over and over. If you find it hard to go from G, start out with A to D. A to D. A to D over and over. Strum if you want to, but the main thing is making the change. Do it slowly too, making sure you get it right. speed some later, let precision be the focus to start with.

Then switch to G to D. Or C to D. Or E to D.

The D is tricky, and dont worry about messing it up. You may be doing that for a long time.

If you spend the next two weeks maily practising the swtich rather than the song (yes it can get boring...) you will progress a lot.

In time, your fingers will know by themselves where to go. You think "D" and they will be at the correct fret and the correct string without you thinking about it.

One of the best ways to learn is to find other guitarists and learn from them.

[biggrin]

Play with others whenever you can.

[biggrin]

give a few real live people a try

[biggrin]

IF this option is available to you' date=' use it whenever you can!!! [/b']

When I was an "aspiring guitarist", I knew people who were more

advanced than I, some of them already playing in their own bands.

I would go to the "jam sessions" as much as possible, to watch and

learn. Sometimes the other Git Players would take the time to show me

HOW to play something. So I progressed.

Eventually, I started jamming with others AND playing in my own Band(s).

I would see a new batch of "aspiring guitarists" watching us play, for the

very same reasons I went. So, I started showing THEM how to play songs,

and passing on what I knew because we musicians are SUPPOSED to do that.

THOSE folks eventually started playing in THEIR own bands. When I think of some of

the guys I "taught" - One is still around, still plays locally and gives lessons, Another

actually recorded a couple of albums, but no further. Last guy played the TROMBONE,

but wanted to learn GUITAR, so I obliged. HE moved to Austin, Tx., and taught himself

to also play the BASS, HARMONICA, and started singing. Still there as far as I know.

I guess the great thing about TROMBONE is that you can WHACK your audience in the

head while on-stage???

Right now, you're LEARNING. Sooner than you think (if you practice), you'll

be PLAYING. At this point, you are required by the "unspoken law of musicians"

to start passing on what YOU KNOW to the next up-and-coming group.

[lol] [lol] [crying]

n2200506494_39045.jpg

I know the following chords (well' date=' I know where to put my fingers)

The chord Progression basically goes: G-G-C-D----G-G-C-D----E....and so on[/quote']

I assume you're not doing bar chords? So for G chord, do you use fingers 1,2, and 3 or 2,3, and 4? I suggest that you finger G with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers of your left hand. When you move to other chords, your first finger is ready to get there quicker.

Archived