Gibson Brands Forums

Need a bit of help

Samuel232

I bought my guitar today expecting it to be playable. I got it home plugged in and tuned up but there's string buzz and it won't stay in tune at all. It's a China made Epiphone Les Paul, I have Grover tuners that seem to be really unresponsive when I turn them. What can I do to combat these problmes. I was assured in the shop that there was only asethic damage. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I was assured in the shop that there was only asethic damage.

Then take it back to the shop and have them keep their promise.

It may just need a setup.

Unresponsive tuners? You mean they don't work? How is that? How did you not know this before you left the shop?

You don't say if this is a new guitar, or if used what year it is. That's important to know.

Take it back.

Some of the tuners take a full turn before the pitch of the string will even change. I didn't try the guitar before I bought it because I thought I could trust them.

I have no idea how old it is but the serial number is "09041509936"

Then take it back to the shop and have them keep their promise.

It may just need a setup.

Unresponsive tuners? You mean they don't work? How is that? How did you not know this before you left the shop?

You don't say if this is a new guitar' date=' or if used what year it is. That's important to know.

Take it back.[/quote']

I am with Brad on this one. If you just bought the guitar, take it back and let a Luthier at the shop have a look at it.

I'm just worried because in music shops where I come from aren't that friendly and often demand that it be in pieces before they'll declare it 'broken'. I don't want them to say "Well you should have checked it before you bought it, I'm afraid there's nothing we can do".

Does this "Music dealer from H*ll" have any kind of warranty

for your git? (In-house and/or Factory). IF so, a trip back with

a "Mates - there's something totally messed up with my guitar"

statement, delivered without anger would be the first step.

Can you call them, explain your problem, and ask for their advice

regarding the next step?

for what its worth, I have 2 Epiphones, a LP Ultra II and SG Prophecy EX and both have the same type of unresponsive Grover tuners, usually the 4th string for some reason, my dean with Grover's also has the same problem on the 4th and sometimes 5th string. In order to get the tuner to grab the string and stay in tune, you have to de-tune the string until you hear it "snap" down a tone and then tune it back up to pitch. That's the only way to get them to stay in tune. My guitars are all professionally set up so I know its the tuners.

FYI, another way to get them to stay in tune is when you have the strings changed, tell the guitar tech guy to loop the string ABOVE where the string goes thru the tuner and not below the way most people do it. I know its the most common way of doing it, but from a mechanical physics standpoint its downright stupid. The loops above the string thru point press down on the string and lock it into place, thus keeping the guitar in tune.

Before everyone disagrees with me, Eddie Van Halen and Seymour Duncan both agree with me, so yell at them not me. And I hold 2 patents in mechanical engineering/physics, so I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Hope this helps

Byron

In order to get the tuner to grab the string and stay in tune' date=' you have to de-tune the string until you hear it "snap" down a tone and then tune it back up to pitch. That's the only way to get them to stay in tune. My guitars are all professionally set up so I know its the tuners.[/quote']

Byron, have you tried a little graphite or Nut Sauce in the grooves? How about a Graphtech, bone or corian nut? Everything you describe sounds like the symptom of the el-cheapo plastic nuts that come with most down market Epis and Deans...

And Samuel, get yourself some new strings and put a little pencil lead in the nut grooves. Problem solved, easy peasy.

Usually the Grovers are a very smooth operating tuner.

If you are hearing the string snap, or ping during tuning, it generally indicates

that the nut needs work. A string will get "caught" in a nut groove that is too tight

or too deep, causing it to snap or ping.

Have the nut set up, or at the very least lube it with a bit of graphite, or nut lube.

If you have a tuner that is not turning when you turn the tuning key, the tuner is indeed stripped inside.

If it is only turning intermittantly, when the gear meshes inside, then of course the tuner is at fault.

This should be easily diagnosed. Remove the string, or turn the tuner back until the string is loose, then tighten it.

You can easily see or feel if it is stripped.

The buzz is also easily gotten rid of with a good, professional setup.

As for the headstock angle and whether you wind at the top or bottom of the tuner shaft,

the general rule is to have a maximum of 3 wraps under the string through hole, with an

angled headstock.

This is simply to have a good "Break Angle" over the nut.

Thanks guys for your help. I'm going back to the shop tomorrow to see what they can suggest.

How much is a set-up worth?

Where can I get some nut lube?

I'll try all your suggestions and if nothing works then, I'll just have to live with it and get used to it.

Where can I get some nut lube?
[confused] heh

Take a pencil and run the tip of it (the pointy end with exposed lead) over a piece of sand paper until you have a small pile of lead. Then just put it into the string grooves on the nut.

Or you could pay $20 for a container of "Big Bends Nut Sauce"

I still think you should bring the guitar back to the shop first before you do anything to it. Just tell em' what's going on and let them know you want your money back if they can't correct the problems with the guitar.

I'm just worried because in music shops where I come from aren't that friendly and often demand that it be in pieces before they'll declare it 'broken'. I don't want them to say "Well you should have checked it before you bought it' date=' I'm afraid there's nothing we can do".[/quote']

No offence intended, but if they're happy for it to leave the store in an unplayable condition I doubt they're going to be jumping for joy to see it returned...prepare yourself for a "bought as seen" excuse...and what does the "aesthetic damage" include?

Did this come from an actual music shop - or are we talking a pawn shop or something? [confused]

[confused] heh

Take a pencil and run the tip of it (the pointy end with exposed lead) over a piece of sand paper until you have a small pile of lead. Then just put it into the string grooves on the nut.

There's no need to do all that.

Just get a pencil and stick the lead in the slot. Twist it around little, wipe the bottom and sides of the slot with the pencil point. That's all you need to do. Works fine.

You definitely have a case of binding in the nut slot, of which the G string is usually the majoir culprit. Grovers tuners are also geared 'higher' so do need more turns. I like this because I find it easier to get the tuning bang on if I have more to play with. If your guitar is new, the quality of the stock Epi strings is not too good either. Buy a set of good strings and ask them to put them on for you. It's important to learn how to put strings on correctly to prevent them from slipping.

Hey guys. I went back to the shop with it today and they said that it needed some tension taking off the neck and suggested some 'Nut Sauce' in the grooves of the nut too but I think I'll just use the pencil method :)

There seems to be less string buzz but it's still present.

I'm going to change the strings soon too.

I actually give up now' date=' it's frustrating me. I just want to replace it, as it shouldn't have these problems in the first place.[/quote']

I have faith in you! Try the pencil lead in the nut to correct your tuning issue. My guitar had a slight buzz too so I raised the bridge a little at a time (maybe a half turn each side) until it stopped. It was really simple and I am very new to guitar.

I'll see what I can do. I just want to replace it now because I've had it two days and it's driving me mental because on my older' date=' crapper guitars it did it all the time so I wasn't exactly expecting it to happen on this.[/quote']

Any guitar under/around $500 is going to need some attention out of the box. Try some of the suggestions and give it a chance.

Most of us here have managed to overcome this and several other notorious problems like bad output jacks, switches, etc.

In any case, a replacement is likely to have the same issues...

If your guitar has string buzz all the time, there are a few different things that can cause it.

1. Neck too straight, or with back bend. [truss rod adjustment necessary]

2. Bridge too low. [adjust bridge height]

3. One or more frets are high. [A tech will have to level the frets.]

4. Nut grooves cut too deep. [new nut probably needed]

As my friend Animalfarm would say: "Go to the DIY section and there will be directions

as to how to do some of these things."

By the way, a setup should not cost too much. I do setups part time and the going rate

where I live is about 40 bucks for a basic setup. Differs everywhere of course.

Archived