Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD Les Paul Tribute Cherry 1960

KDKowalski

Here is # F300026, Was purchased and returned by another forum member. Good news for me is I now have it. There was a very tiny mark on one of the PUP's so discount was given. Tonally it is very nice, I love the series / parallel switching...I had this in a Michael Kelly Valor, and missed this feature. Overall these are an incredible value, and saves doing all of the tweaking after the purchase. :)

One thing to note for the fussy buyers...like myself, there is not a lot of information regarding the wood on the web. Items to note, the neck is 3 pieces (heel and reversed at the headstock). The body on mine does not have a veneered back and is 4 pieces of solid mahogany, and lastly the beautiful maple top is made from 3 pieces of maple.

The sunburst seems consistent in this series, perimeter only, whereas other models would have the cherry blended around the neck pick-up, not a like or dislike from me, just different.

Check out the pics.

p8030343.jpg

p8030344.jpg

p8030342.jpg

Nice guitar. I wonder way my Trans Black Tribute has a one piece maple top' date='

and your's has a three piece??? Strange[img']http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx307/hoss49/new1960tribute002.jpg[/img]

I am not sure why there would be a one piece top, all of the Gibsons have book matched 2 piece tops [cool]

Guess they are building with what ever is on hand as opposed to a standard.

Nice black burst.

OK so I became curious. under close examination mine is a one piece top. I was mistaking what appeared to be a repetitive flaming pattern in the grain as parts of the same piece of wood...but not bookmatched...are actually 2 areas in the carve that are showing flamed maple. I am really happy about this, There are not many Gibsons with one piece carved tops, let alone Epiphones. The other thing about this one, even though the mahogany body is made from 4 pieces, the grain is much nicer in this than my last Gibson Les Paul Standard. Now if Epiphone would only make one piece necks standard.

I did the same thing on my tribute. Just had to pull the pups out when I re-strung mine to check out

the one piece. Now on my standard plus. I did the same. Seems to be a multi top with a

book match veneer wich everybody knows.005.jpg

One thing to note for the fussy buyers...like myself' date=' there is not a lot of information regarding the wood on the web. Items to note, the neck is 3 pieces (heel and reversed at the headstock).

[/quote']

I have contacted epiphone customer service regarding this, the website states this should be a one piece neck.

I am not sure if I have something wrong, or is the website wrong?

I'll post my findings when they write back

one piece neck? One piece chould be multi. if the glue is right. LOL

LMAO.

Actually Gibson has been in touch with me already, 2 emails and are looking into it. I am impressed with the responsiveness. I look forward to their answer.

I had a '75 GLP Custom Natural that was a 3 pc. top............

Great Trib btw !!!

I wasn't really thinking when I said that, I have seen many 1,2,3 piece tops. one piece for non flamed, or plain tops, 2 piece bookmatched for most of the flamed tops (although I have seen some one piece and 3 piece), and yep many 3 piece tops in 70's construction.

Thanks for the kudos on the guitar. I am impressed with it.

I have the same guitar, she was taken to the shop for reset up yesterday as I was promised one gratis within first 6months, which is nearly up. I'll get a phote of it and post when she's back. It's my first electric and makes my acoustics lonely!

Beautiful guitar!!! When set up right, these are loaded up and nice sounding/playing instruments!

Not to be a downer, because for the money these are such greatly equipped guitars, but all Tributes have a "one-piece" veneer of plain maple on their "solid maple" carved tops. Could be 3-5 pieces of maple under the plain veneer, who knows. BUT, if it feels, sounds, plays, and looks great, who cares!!! Very nice!

• 2 months later...

Archived