Gibson Brands Forums

Lighter fluid

invasion

OK just wanted check Naptha is Lighter fluid ?is it the same type of lighter fluid that you get in the UK that you get in America ?

Was going to use it to clean my fret board and body/neck of my guitar as stated in the "Guitar Player Repair Guide" anyone else use this ..if so does it do a good job??and any tips for using it?

Cheers

Not all lighter fluid is naptha based - Zippo fluid which used to be naptha based is now alcohol based as example.

Ronsonal lighter fluid is naptha. You could also use Goo Gone.

You could, of course, just use a product like Fret Doctor. I like it because if you have an older instrument it also darkens the board over time. I know guys who also use Formby's Deep Clkeaning Buildup Remover. Both, of course, will cost quite a bit more thahn a can of lighter fluid.

I used to use Naptha as a paint solvent when I used to do commercial sign painting back in the day. I dont think I would use it on a guitar.

Naptha is great for cleaning really dirty and gunked up boards. It will also remove any old wax on there. But it is not for use everytime you change your strings or something.

I suppose that I could see using it on a fretboard once in awhile if its really gunked up and that was all you had. But he also asked about using it as a general guitar cleaner (body/neck). Naptha being a paint thinner, I guess my concern would be - what will it do to the finish?

OK just wanted check Naptha is Lighter fluid ?is it the same type of lighter fluid that you get in the UK that you get in America ?

Was going to use it to clean my fret board and body/neck of my guitar as stated in the "Guitar Player Repair Guide" anyone else use this ..if so does it do a good job??and any tips for using it?

Cheers

Try this

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated [smile]

I thought it may be the case that some lighter fluids wouldn't be naptha based. I do now like the look of the gerlitz guitar honey thanks for the link jerrymac... just dont want to put anything on that could swell the wood and lift frets

Think I will give guitar honey a go and some 0000 grade wire wool.

thankls again

I used to use Naptha as a paint solvent when I used to do commercial sign painting back in the day. I dont think I would use it on a guitar.

Well maybe you wouldn't. But Dan Erlewine states it is THE best thing to use on your guitar for many reasons.

I think I'll go with Dan.

Cheers

Here in the States, we can buy Naptha in big-box home repair and construction stores like Home Depot or Lowes. Maybe it sold in a similar type stores in the UK.

Red 333

Invasion, I found the same difficulty trying to source naphtha in the UK. My local hardware store stocks "Newport Lighter Fluid" which is what you are after, and what I use for various guitar cleaning jobs, getting tape glue off sanding blocks, sticky label glue off guitar bodies, etc.

It's labelled "Also for use in the home and art studio". It contains "solvent naphtha (petroleum) light aliph." Which might help you find a similar product if you don't find Newport.

Tips for using it- use in a very well ventilated space. You don't want to be breathing this in. I have a fan blowing across me towards the window when I use it. If you use it on a porous surface like exposed wood, it will evaporate off fully, but may take a while so be ready to leave the work somewhere outside or near an open window. I usually apply with a cloth, it's very effective so doesn't usually need anything harsher.

Well maybe you wouldn't. But Dan Erlewine states it is THE best thing to use on your guitar for many reasons.

I think I'll go with Dan.

Well, knock yourself out then, Brad. I prefer not to use volatile, flammable hydrocarbons for cleaning things unless its absolutely necessary. This isnt the 50's anymore.

I prefer not to use volatile, flammable hydrocarbons for cleaning things unless its absolutely necessary. This isnt the 50's anymore.

+1. I should have started my tips for using it with, "don't, unless you have to."

My beautiful EJ-200 was plastered with "Dead-head" stickers. front and back when my wife bought it for me as a surprise gift..........these stickers had been on for YEARS...............

I read up on it, tested a small spot, then used Ronson lighter fl;uid to remove the stickers and the leftover glue......more than 1/2 a bottle of it!

Not only did it remove every trace of glue and dirt, it left it with a shine beyond belief.......I wouldn't recommend it as a "standard" cleaner.......but as a 1 time "super cleaner" it can't be beat...........

Just be darn sure that you're dealing with a POLY finish, as it will remove Nitro Laquer on contact.

Archived