Gibson Brands Forums

Goldtop J-45

bkharmony

That finish just doesn't do it for me. To each his own but, meh.

lol..... it certainly is not a "Burst" [tongue]

The price is also over $500 more than I could have bought the new one off the trailer when it was in town and the J-45 goldtop I looked at was only about 10 days old. I said it before and I will say it again, it was the nicest sounding J-45 I have ever played. Like JG... the gold top just doesn't appeal to me that much, but it was kind of pretty.

100_0888.jpg

I have seen that one on ebay. It is a little different to the one you saw in the trailer TP. It has better tuners and it has a graphite nut. But I prefer the tortoise pickguard on the one you showed us from the trailer.

That one on ebay has a walnut coloured stain, which I'm not sure if I like, on the back and sides, has an inlaid Gibson logo rather than a screen printed one on the 'trailer model' and for what it's worth a 'custom' label on the TRC, and an orange label. It also has a LR Baggs undersaddle. Not sure if the trailer one had electrics?

No idea which one sounds better if any!! I like them, but I'd want to try it out before I bought it.

I'm not a fan of black nuts.... On the guitar people.

I agree, but I would be interested to know how it plays as it is made of graphite, so I thought it might be functionally good. One of the reasons I didn't go for the J-45 goldtop on ebay was that I preferred the look of the one TP saw in the trailer with the white nut and tortoise guard, but I do prefer the tuners on the ebay one. Dilemmas, dilemmas.

Looks like the ebay one is a 'limited edition' of 50, but it also looks like Gibson are making more of them with minor cosmetic differences.

man, that's a good looking guitar! i haven't played one, or heard one though. however, my Gibson rep suggested this idea to them several years ago and they shot it down. why? the bronze powder used in goldtops weighs down the top too much. it deadens the sound. then, a few years later they started making it. they say there is a difference in the undercoat which helped fix the problem. i can't be sure until i hear one. she sure looks great though!

Archived