Gibson Brands Forums

Restringing a guitar with a trapeze tail

craigh

I'm not sure if I can explain this with only words, but I'll try.

Hook the ball end in the trapeze. Pull the string up and determine the final length of the string. Three turns maximum is all you need around the post, and for this the cut length of the string is about 1 1/2 tuner spacings. Cut the string and do whatever bend and wrap you like to do to get the string wind started without regard to the string being in the trapeze or not. Now with the string fastened on the tuner end, feed it back into the trapeze and seat it properly. While maintaining a little pull on the string from the trapeze side, stick your right thumb under the string at about the neck joint. With the string running over the back of your thumb and under the palm of your hand twist your wrist clockwise to put tension on the string in both directions. Now wind the string onto the post with the tuner button while letting your right wrist roll back counter-clockwise while maintaining the string tension. When the string starts pinching your hand into the body of the guitar slide it out and keep a little pull on it with just a finger grab until properly tensioned for final tuning.

Did that make any sense?

Archived