Gibson Brands Forums

guitar solo's that don't "fit" the song?

S t e v e

Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty.

Smokin' Les Paul solo, makes the hair on my neck stand up every time I hear it.

Song is okay, but the flute, percussion and synth effects are cheesy in any song.

I Just Died In Your Arms by Cutting Crew

Cool guitar work in an okay pop song with cheesy synth.

after listening to van halen "jump" for the millionth time i thought i'd post this thread, is it me or does the solo sound like it was meant for a different song?...your thoughts and can you think of another "out of place" solo?

Hated that song when it came out, it's only gotten worse since.

I remember MTV had a big premier of it on New Year's Eve of 1984.

Hype for days in advance.

Everybody said the album was gonna be "different" and it was...

I was at a party and we all stood there watching the tube thinking WTF?

Saw 'em concert and Eddie played the solo on the keyboard - no guitar at all.

In my opinion, Van Halen was over at that point.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sammy Hagar, but "Van Halen, guitarest of the gods" was dead.

At least as a first-rate, take-no-prisoners, boundary-smashing guitar gun slinger.

Really, I pray there comes a day Eddie comes out swinging with a monster album worthy of his talent.

Until then, I file him under "Pathetically Washed Up" and remember when he really did deserve comparisons to Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Page, Gallagher, etc...

Power for one, I'm not knocking him, he's one of the most underrated guitarists in history. Doesn't get much attention here.

yea i agree with the underated thing, and i know you ain't knocking him just as i ain't knocking eddie... [cool]

I ain't knockin' Eddie either - in the strictest sense.

His capability is probably unmatched, his potential is woefully under-utilized.

He CAN rock, he just doesn't.

Every time I saw 'em they ran through the songs and ran offstage to the limo.

Last two times, they even combined shortened songs into a "medley" to save time.

NEVER even played two hours.

That pop chick.

The on that plays guitar...im not good with names. [lol]

Her solos..are like werid for her songs.

Orianthi?

Yeah, I'm not a fan either--her lead style is very generic and sort of "been there, done that". Bad shredding in bad pop songs.

And I'm not just saying this out of contempt for the shred style--you guys have to remember, I'm a fan of Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, Tony MacAlpine, Marty Friedman, and (I'd say especially) Michael Lee Firkins. It's just that she's genericized the style, and at the same time she's had more mainstream exposure after the release of one album (the fact that she played with the late Michael Jackson undoubtedly has a lot to do with it, as well as the fact that she's radio-friendly and supposedly "hot") than any of the people I've listed have received period. Oh well.

Don't forget the high-profile PRS endorsement deal.

Hey, Gibson did a Keifer Sutherland signature guitar, so what the heck, eh?

:blink:

have you seen the don felder (hotel c) sig 59" ?...ffs give us a break with the sig models gibson! [rolleyes]

I have always thought the solo for "Here I go Again On My Own" by Whitesnake didn't fit the song. It's a pretty intense, rockin' song, and then this little noodly melodic solo comes from nowhere. It doesn't do-it for me.

is that a vai solo? i'll have to double check :-k

A lot of what Carlos Santana does doesn't fit songs. For example "The Game of Love w/ Michelle Branch"'s solo, Jingo (what the heck is that solo?),

and his non-hits. He seems to always do the same pull on/pull of trill and then follow by by a long bend,

and he does the face with the open mouth as if he just got shot in the...... [-X

Rocky - GREAT album!!!

Wasn't it Death Alley Driver with the bad guitar/synth?

I always liked Power, never had an opinion about the solo. Great riffs.

Stone Cold is one of my all-time favorites, the organ part sounds like an organ, not a carnival ride.

Killer solo with the odd time signature, loved it for nearly 30 years now!

Archived