Gibson Brands Forums

Tele pickups...

Silenced Fred

I've been playing with my Tele A LOT lately. It sounds incredible.

I think you should just get one and play with it for a while. The bridge pickup on mine actually kicks some serious *** with OD or distortion or fuzz. It gets really raunchy. You can switch to the neck and roll back the volume a bit in one foul swoop. Teles have controls that are really easy to reach and use quickly and they're really responsive.

Seriously though you have to get a Tele. I played mine for hours today. It's soooo good.

Have you played the guitar yet or are you just thinking of getting a MIM Tele? Play the guitar first, then decide what needs to be replaced...not the other way around.

I've played tons of them at about 5 different shops (small shops, Big box, everywhere) and the bridge pickup is lacking to me. I played a Tokai at one, and if I had the money, I would have bought it on the spot. The neck pickup was a great smooth clean, and the bridge made it raunchy. It was perfect.

I would only put a humbucker in a Tele if I had more than one Tele. I have to have at least one with those single coils.

I like Johnny Greenwoods Tele with an HB in the bridge but I'm a bit of a fanboy.

I use the neck pickup mostly but I use the middle position a lot too. The middle is super twangy.

I've listened to the QP soundclips on the SD site and they all sounded great but I still have no idea what they actually sound like. Those sound clips are useless.

Yeah, from what I understand, it is supposed to be similar to a P90, or the pickups they use on the G&L ASAT Specials... I might give those a whirl

I just hate that stupid ugly bridge they use on so many of their guitars. That 2 fulcrum vibrato bridge. It's just so ugly.

Proguitarshop.com is like a mini custom shop for them, they will build to your specs, just select the options. For the ASAT, they don't use the Fulcrum unless you want them to. Pretty cool, gained huge points with me

I recently put a set of Nunley Tele PU's in my tele, and they are the best tele pickups i've ever heard. I don't know much about their pickup line, but they may have something that's a bit hotter for the bridge. One of my favorite tele pickups is the Little '59 humbucker(single coil sized). It sounds great, and you can coil tap it for a single coil or bucker tone. Definately worth checking out.

I recently put a set of Nunley Tele PU's in my tele, and they are the best tele pickups i've ever heard. I don't know much about their pickup line, but they may have something that's a bit hotter for the bridge. One of my favorite tele pickups is the Little '59 humbucker(single coil sized). It sounds great, and you can coil tap it for a single coil or bucker tone. Definately worth checking out.

I'll have to look that up. I guess what some people are saying is right, I don't want a tele. I don't want a tele in the standard sense. I love the neck pickup for cleans, but I think the bridge lacks for the style I play.

Maybe an ASAT Special is what I need... [thumbup]

Archived