Gibson Brands Forums

The Garden

Californiaman

I love growing things so I planted a garden this summer.

I'm growing the usual stuff:

Cucumbers

Golden Bell Peppers

Anaheim Chili Peppers

Jalepenos

Zucchini

Pumpkins for the kids

Tomatoes

Cantaloupe

My back yard also has several fruit trees too:

Apricot

Plum

Apples (two different types of trees)

Orange

Figs (They're getting ripe right now and taste great.)

Persimmons (They'll be ripe in another month or so.)

Nectarines

Lemons

I understand the value of eating healthy foods.

Today I canned seven quart jars full of home made Bread and Butter Pickles from my own cucumbers.

My wife and I made two apple pies and my mother who is in town made four quarts of apple sauce.

Tomorrow I'm making Zucchini Relish and Zucchini Bread.

I love gardening.

Tending a garden is one of the most relaxing things I do.

Looks like a nice garden Todd, I too find it very relaxing, I've been putting up tomatoes, green beans, okra, and squash. Freezer only has enough space to place a couple of deer and deer season starts in 10 days!

I just put 24 quarts of hot pickled green tomatoes, and some bread and butter pickles. Also for the first time I tried pickling some peaches this year. Figs from the trees here are just coming in so I'll be making some fig preserves very soon.

pretty impressive garden you have there. i have a hard time getting my lawn to grow. by the way what is a Persimmon?

Persimmons are a sweet fruit that grows wild mainly around here, nice treat and makes great jelly.

post-7304-008333100 1283692423_thumb.jpg

pretty impressive garden you have there. i have a hard time getting my lawn to grow. by the way what is a Persimmon?

A persimmon is an orange skinned fruit that grows to the size of an apple. They have a light orange colored flesh that tastes really good. When you slice them horizontally parallel to the equator of the fruit, there is a beautiful six or eight pointed star that appears. They are sweet and make great muffins and breads.

Me and the wife have about 20 fig trees and they're starting to come in now.

She makes all kinds of fig stuff. They call her the fig lady.

Here she is on TV:

http://www2.tricities.com/entertainment/2008/nov/25/the-fig-lady-35076-vi-10453/

Can you PM me some recipes?

I've made fig jam before. It tasted like strawberry.

I'd love to make fig bars.

I have a recipe for pickled figs too.

Can you PM me some recipes?

I've made fig jam before. It tasted like strawberry.

I'd love to make fig bars.

I have a recipe for pickled figs too.

Will do. A lot of the stuff she makes uses the fig jam as the filling, or whatever. Like fig danishes. Oh boy - they're the best ever!

I'm really impressed, Cali. Good for you!

I've only recently discovered the wonder of eating fruit which has been 'self-reared' as it were...

We moved into our new house, in suburban London (UK), in Sept. last year and this summer had a small crop of cherries, pears and apples which came from a few trees which had been very badly tended over the last few years.

We're looking forward to the winter when we can prune and - to a small extent - train the branches so the tree can be more productive next summer.

Even 'though the harvest was tiny I found it to be a very satisfying feeling to have 'grown our own' especially as we live in a major city and gardens of any size and type are not the norm for a dwelling.

Looks like a nice garden Todd, I too find it very relaxing, I've been putting up tomatoes, green beans, okra, and squash. Freezer only has enough space to place a couple of deer and deer season starts in 10 days!

I just put 24 quarts of hot pickled green tomatoes, and some bread and butter pickles. Also for the first time I tried pickling some peaches this year. Figs from the trees here are just coming in so I'll be making some fig preserves very soon.

Persimmons are a sweet fruit that grows wild mainly around here, nice treat and makes great jelly.

I think I've found a kindred spirit. [thumbup]

Archived