Gibson Brands Forums

Best Recording Mic?

Tman5293

Ok so with any mic where would I put it? Right in front of the amp? Or somewhere else in the room, like on my desktop next to my pc (opposite side of the room)? And also, how loud should the amp be?

Sorry guys I'm totally new to this recording thing. msp_blushing.gif The only recording I have done is in my guitar teacher's studio. msp_unsure.gif

Audacity is free?

Yeah, Audacity is free.

Go on Amazon. Buy a Blue Yeti, you can find them new for 100, usually retail for 150. If you want, go to purevolume.com/oddmanout3 all of my recordings are done with the Blue Yeti, very versatile and a ton of controls to change your sound if you wish.

Yeah, Audacity is free.

Go on Amazon. Buy a Blue Yeti, you can find them new for 100, usually retail for 150. If you want, go to purevolume.com/oddmanout3 all of my recordings are done with the Blue Yeti, very versatile and a ton of controls to change your sound if you wish.

Sweet. Ive been wantin to get into recording.

Yeah, Audacity is free.

So did you put the mic right in front of the amp?

I'd check out the Blue Snowball, like Big Bill suggested. I've got a Samson C01U, and I've heard the software for that mic is lousy, but you don't need it. I believe both are large diaphragm mics which will require moving them farther away from your amp's speaker. The C01U also has a USB jack to go straight into your USB port on your PC. You may also consider a Shure SM57, which is a small diaphragm mic that should be placed closer to your amp's speaker, but will require a USB adapter. If I had to do it over again, I think I'd look at the Shure. All three mics are around $65-$125 with adapters.

If you're recording guitar, you may also consider going straight from guitar thru an effects box/board to your USB port, or from guitar thru an effects box/board to your amp to amp out to USB port, or from guitar to amp thru amp out to USB port. Of course you'll have to spend $20 for 10 foot USB cable, but you do have those options. Check out the Recording section of this forum. Have fun.

So did you put the mic right in front of the amp?

I played with the position til I found it how I liked it, I forget now.

It's a plug in and play thing, but it gives you a lot of options, for 100 bucks, it can't be beat.

And for everyone saying SM57, you gotta get an interface or another USB plug, cheaper for the Blue Yeti...

Some of the reviews I read, the Yeti cannot handle high volume. Someone said they blew the mic recording electric instruments. What is its SLP rating?

Well, I had my Sunn on about 5 for the volume, 6 on the gain for the recordings I did, then recorded acoustic stuff. You tell me what you think [biggrin]

Not sure of the SLP rating. Don't get me wrong, I wanna get a good interface and a Sennheiser e609 (I believe) to record, but this handles it for now, get some crude stuff out. I really like it for acoustics though

Archived