Gibson Brands Forums

Hey guys...

Shnate McDuanus

hey, apparently I'm even a loose cannon here as well as on my "history and philosophy" E-list. At any rate it seems the majority of "culture/politics" threads I comment in tend to get dumped.

Sheesh.

I'd strongly suggest folks read a bit of Plato's dialogs. Oh, and Aristotle on rhetoric. But then I've a hunch Socrates would be banned on some lists.

m

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bluegrass is so old that it appeals to me. and im the only person that likes it at my school

Bluegrass stuff kicks ***! I wanna buy a mando need to save up for it though. My friend has a banjo and we had some nice jams...

Too much good stuff, and amazing artists.

We were seriously going to start a Bluegrass metal core band, which would be hilarious. Nobody I know listens to stuff like that, but its so good [thumbup]

But of course your gonna buy that tele first [thumbup] haha, mine is some no brand mandolin, but it gets the job done [thumbup]

Oh yeah. I'm considering getting the parts and putting one together. I want a double bound body, rosewood fretboard, standard pickup set up, vintage style tuners, either a white, lake placid blue, or a black finish with a pearloid pickguard. Not that I have figured this out

Oh yeah. I'm considering getting the parts and putting one together. I want a double bound body, rosewood fretboard, standard pickup set up, vintage style tuners, either a white, lake placid blue, or a black finish with a pearloid pickguard. Not that I have figured this out

I can't even play Fenders because of the way they feel.

of course not [flapper]

I can't even play Fenders because of the way they feel.

Really? cause my lead I has a really fat neck. i mean fatter than the SRV signature [scared]

It has nothing to do with the neck . Those strings are just so close to the body, cramps up my pickin hand.

Ohhhhhhh

Either that, or find a cheaper MIM Tele, and swap out the pickups if its a blonde finish

that would work

BTW sorry bout jackin yo thread [blush]

your confusing me Dem00n and XDem00nnight! [scared]

hey, apparently I'm even a loose cannon here as well as on my "history and philosophy" E-list. At any rate it seems the majority of "culture/politics" threads I comment in tend to get dumped.

Sheesh.

I'd strongly suggest folks read a bit of Plato's dialogs. Oh, and Aristotle on rhetoric. But then I've a hunch Socrates would be banned on some lists.

m

I'm working my way through Euthyphro at the moment. At times I wonder if I'm not really smart enough to tackle it.

XDem00nknight

First, figure that there's an awful lot of irony involved in the dialogs - this one is full of such stuff. Given that's seldom taught at the high school level as it was in the olden days <grin>, yeah, I can see why it's a bit heavy.

It's also rather important for modern thought in terms of defining not just "piety," but of all behaviors. How does one find the basis to define any sort of "good" or "bad" behavior? It's not this specific "dialog," but rather the process of finding a definition and category rather than just prating what one has decided fits a situation.

Diego...

Hey, keep taking the mandolin to school. Consider that to be your part in helping to educate others without having to officially be a teacher. It's a valuable thing for them even if their ignorance makes you feel a bit odd. Just smile and don't act "better than thou" and enjoy yourself!

m

XDem00nknight...

I just closed my earlier comment on Plato but then thought immediately of this:

Never forget Socrates in effect was given a choice of living in exile and ongoing disrepute or making a point of his own perspectives that were rather unpopular at his own time.

It's my observation that a Socratic perspective of my own has apparently been found by some folks as uncomfortable as Socrates made his fellow Athenians. Luckily Duane just dumps the topic or comment rather than offering me the less comfortable choice of exile or hemlock.

Most people have not been trained to be self-questioning nor broad in perspective of questions of philosophy - which devolve of course to discussions of more current stuff. In fact, logic tends to make them uncomfortable, especially if, as in Euthyphro, it exposes their explanation of the basis of their beliefs and activities as illogical and/or specifically a circular logic which is invalid by any definition.

Oh - besides reading Plato's Apologia which may make Euthyphro more understandable, read Xenophon's somewhat simpler Apologia - and remember that Xenophon knew of Socrates the soldier and that consideration was inevitably part of his description of those last times of the "gadfly."

EDIT: I just figure perhaps I should note that my Dad went from being Harley dealer to grad school and a masters in philosophy - so I was brought up with a strange combination of both fields from my earliest years of memory. <grin>

m

Archived