Gibson Brands Forums

PRS SE - thoughts?

heymisterk

Happy Labor Day All,

My main guitar is a SG Classic - love the P-90s. But I really would like a humbucker guitar that won't break the bank. So, I have been checking out the PRS SE line, and have heard generally good things about them. A couple on ebay seem very reasonable.

Anyone have experience, positive or negative?

Thanks!

I checked a couple vids out on YouTube and they sounded fantastic. Good looking too.

Best quality foreign made guitars. I really like 'em and know a ton of people that want 'em. They are making a killing because they have better fit and finish than other American made brands for like half the price. Unless a kid really wants a Strat or a Les Paul, they are gonna go with that.

If they made a tele and lost the headstock design, I would buy one in an instant. I really like the Starla model though, that thing is saaaaweet!

Best quality foreign made guitars.

??? Did Maryland secede from the Union again?

PRS are made right here in Annapolis (I've toured the plant). B)

Really nice guitars generally. But if you like the SG (as I do) the PRS neck heel is a real killer.

Really nice guitars generally. But if you like the SG (as I do) the PRS neck heel is a real killer.

I am talking about the SE line...made in Korea...

I am talking about the SE line...made in Korea...

Yes they are. I didn't pay attention. Sorry Fred. B)

My comment on the neck heel stands. If you were a Fender man you might not notice a big difference but the contrast to the SG neck joint might even be startling.

I never knew Korea joined the union :)

For the money, they can't be beat though. The faded series helps, but the aesthetics are way above that.

Meh. Had one - could be a good guitar to tinker with, especially the electronics - as long as you don't mind making holes bigger to replace the cheap asian metric pots, switch and jack, and you are lucky enough to get one with 4-wire HBs. Other than that - not overly impressed.

But with the "for the money" justification?...OK.

I would save up for something better, though.

I have a Whale Blue SE and every time I play it I am impressed with the sound and the fit and finish, for the

money its a great guitar and I would highly recommend one.

Its light weight and very comfortable to play. The only negative would be the Nut it seems very cheap.

The one I am looking at on Craigslist has the bridge PU swapped out for a SD JB, which I love. And straploks have been added. He wants $400; if he will let it go for $350, it's mine! Waiting to hear back.

Do NOT let that deal go. That's a great guitar and it's at a great price. Even if you don't like it, you can sell it off later. But you will like it.

OK...On a side note. I didn't really connect with the first PRS SE that I played (an SE Custom.) I did connect with a Mira that I played, and with a McCarty that I played, and I also thought the SE Singlecut that I played was very nice. So I've had mixed experiences with PRS. I felt like the SE guitars that I played, while for the price they were very good, were a little dull, and I thought the tone sounded a little flat and sterile. The American ones I tried all sounded and played great, and had none of the dullness that the SE ones had. Frankly, I think the SE guitars are great for the money (they're not the be-all-and-end-all, but are better than most alternatives) and if you buy one, it will certainly be a good instrument.

Maybe Most Banned Guitarist? blackeye.gif

You have no idea. [unsure]

I lost count after a dozen.

Twice it was permanent - FOREVER!

I'm not kidding.

PRS SE is a great guitar for the money, I've heard few complaints from the people I know with them.

In fact, I'd say they are as good as it gets for a second-rate/Third World/industry-killing wannabe guitar.

Serious.

When ALL the guitars are made somewhere besides the Untied States, think what a great day that will be.

[scared][cursing][blink][angry] :unsure: [blink][crying]

You have no idea. [unsure]

I lost count after a dozen.

Twice it was permanent - FOREVER!

I'm not kidding.

PRS SE is a great guitar for the money, I've heard few complaints from the people I know with them.

In fact, I'd say they are as good as it gets for a second-rate/Third World/industry-killing wannabe guitar.

Serious.

When ALL the guitars are made somewhere besides the Untied States, think what a great day that will be.

[scared][cursing][blink][angry] :unsure: [blink][crying]

See you in a week Neo B)

Yeah, that's the sort of logic I've noticed in the past.

:rolleyes:

Make a comment in the forum of American-made Apple Pie guitars in defense of the industry - and get banned.

Seems even Gibson disagrees with me that the finest premier American guitars are better than the import stuff.

Go figure.

[blink]

Yeah, that's the sort of logic I've noticed in the past.

:rolleyes:

Make a comment in the forum of American-made Apple Pie guitars in defense of the industry - and get banned.

Seems even Gibson disagrees with me that the finest premier American guitars are better than the import stuff.

Go figure.

[blink]

Just tried to send you a PM. Said you couldn't receive. What's up with that? B)

Archived