Gibson Brands Forums

Letting my 335 go

albertjohn

I've sadly decided to bite the bullet and let my lovely 335 lightburst go.

I'm an acoustic player in the main and have rarely played it since I owned it. Time to let someone else have a go. I want to use the money to upgrade my acoustic amplification and maybe to also upgrade my strat.

Not happy, but needs must.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/forum/71-the-trading-post/

I've sadly decided to bite the bullet and let my lovely 335 lightburst go.

I'm an acoustic player in the main and have rarely played it since I owned it. Time to let someone else have a go. I want to use the money to upgrade my acoustic amplification and maybe to also upgrade my strat.

Not happy, but needs must.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/forum/71-the-trading-post/

you'll be sorry you sold it

No, you're doing the right thing. A guitar should be played. I recently sold my killer ES-335 because I wasn't playing her at all. My current gig requires my P-90 guitars, so I let her go. She's in good hands right now and being played!!! No regrets.

Man, it's a bloody hard thing to do.

This seems like a good thread in which to make my first post on the Gibson Forum. Having played guitar for nearly fifty years, I bought my first Gibson a short time ago -- the 335 Antique Natural Figured shown in my avatar. This guitar a pleasure to see and to play, and its a pleasure to be a contributor now to this forum.

To the issue at hand -- I sold one guitar I owned, in the early '70's, and I still regret it. I haven't parted with one since. Even though I don't play each of the 15 or 16 guitars I own every day, I know that they are available, ready, willing, and able to play with. I read all the time about people who are writing about old guitars they once owned, but then sold, and they usually end with a variation of the line "... and I still regret selling it to this day. It was the dumbest thing I ever did." One thing to ask yourself is the question "Is the money I'd get from selling this guitar worth the possibility of having years of regret for having sold it?"

This seems like a good thread in which to make my first post on the Gibson Forum. Having played guitar for nearly fifty years, I bought my first Gibson a short time ago -- the 335 Antique Natural Figured shown in my avatar. This guitar a pleasure to see and to play, and its a pleasure to be a contributor now to this forum.

To the issue at hand -- I sold one guitar I owned, in the early '70's, and I still regret it. I haven't parted with one since. Even though I don't play each of the 15 or 16 guitars I own every day, I know that they are available, ready, willing, and able to play with. I read all the time about people who are writing about old guitars they once owned, but then sold, and they usually end with a variation of the line "... and I still regret selling it to this day. It was the dumbest thing I ever did." One thing to ask yourself is the question "Is the money I'd get from selling this guitar worth the possibility of having years of regret for having sold it?"

Great first post and it really got me thinking. I have very, very few regrets in life and always try to look forward. I hankered after a 335 for years and years but when I got one, I rarely played it. I prefer my strat. I don't own any half decent guitars I don't play anymore and I'm using the money to improve my acoustic amplification, which will bring me great pleasure.

It's not like my 335 is irreplacable either - a bog standard Dot but with a beautiful figured finish, I'll grant you. If and when the time comes again, when I can buy another, there will be dozens of different colours, tones amd models to choose from.

I look forward to that day.

I have two guitars that I've bonded with in a much greater way than the 335 I had mentioned. I think when you play a guitar on a record, or take one on tour with you, and there are real memories and stories and inspirations with a certain guitar or guitars...then I wouldn't advise letting it go...ever. But I take issue with the idea of keeping a guitar around just to have it. I don't recommend it.

This is a tough one. I have struggled with this for some time now. I have a Gretsch that I have never really bonded with. I love the looks and it plays like a dream but at the end of the day, the sound has not really done it for me. Maybe a different amp I tell myself. I even took it into the store to trade it in on my 335 but brought it back home with me. The internal battle continues. As far as regret goes I think you would only regret it if you sold it unwillingly. It sounds to me like your head is in the right place about it and that will keep you from regretting it.

I bought my lovely lightly figured natural Dot from a guy in exactly your position. He played fingerpicking style at church and had a nice Taylor acoustic and a nylon-string. When I got the guitar home I set it up to suit myself, and discovered that it was set up for pick playing: flat-wound strings, tail piece against the top, and high action. I got a gem due to the previous owner's ignorance of proper setup.

On the other hand, I am a firm believer that guitars exist to be played, and, if they aren't being played, they are wasted. I have owned and sold several that others thought were terrific guitars (Strat, '67 Ric 366, '63 Chet Atkins Country Gent, '70 Les Paul gold top), but that I never bonded with them the way I did, immediately, with the 335. Now they are in the hands of players who love them, doing what they were built to do. True, I have a small herd (four basses, two resonators, two flat-tops and an SG with a Bigsby in addition to the 335) but that's because I have the need for them (those four basses? -- fretted and fretless split-coil Precisions, a single-coil P, and one that's waiting on its new owner to bring me the money).

Accumulation is no virtue. What you do with what you have is what counts.GibsonES-335-1.jpg?1284647296

I am a pack rat by nature and tend to lean towards to the "never sell anything" side. But as others have said, it sounds like your head is in the right place about selling this and you are correct that you can always get another ES-335 if you choose. If there's no sentimental connection and you're willing to let it go, then let it go to someone who will enjoy it.

I agree with LPdeluxe " Accumulation is no virtue. What you do with what you have is what counts" And I struggle constantly with that concept.

Thanks for all the responses chaps. Very helpful and thought provoking.

I try to think what I would advise if I were you guys. I'd be saying "pass it on to someone who will love it, and use the cash to improve your own stuff". This is what I'm doing and it's great therapy justifying my decision to you all.

I will miss it. It's a beautiful guitar. But won't look back.

It's going for a great price too at the moment. [thumbup][biggrin]

This thread convinced me to sell a guitar that I've been wrestling with myself about. I don't think I've touched it in two years other than to move it from spot to spot, and even then never took it out of it's case. But I think I'm going to sell it now. My only old back was that it was the first guitar my Mom ever gave me, and since she was never too happy with me wanting to play music all the time, I looked at the guitar as a milestone in my relationship with my mom. But last year she got me a guitar as a surprise and that one means a thousand times more to me than the old one. I even called my mom and ask her about selling the old one and she seems ok with it, so I think it's time to let it go. [smile]

This is a tough one. I have struggled with this for some time now. I have a Gretsch that I have never really bonded with. I love the looks and it plays like a dream but at the end of the day, the sound has not really done it for me. Maybe a different amp I tell myself. I even took it into the store to trade it in on my 335 but brought it back home with me. The internal battle continues. As far as regret goes I think you would only regret it if you sold it unwillingly. It sounds to me like your head is in the right place about it and that will keep you from regretting it.

Gretschs can be an aquired taste...I find the filtertrons difficult to get on with but love the dynasonics to bits.

I have a question that seems appropriate in light of the gorgeous blonde 335 shown above: why do people take their guitars outside and put them in some sort of nature scene to photograph them? It's a counterintuitive move for anybody who might be kind of obsessive about taking proper care of your guitar. In other words, why would someone who is trying to sell their "perfect" guitar take it and lean it up against a tree for a photo shoot? Anyone?

I have a question that seems appropriate in light of the gorgeous blonde 335 shown above: why do people take their guitars outside and put them in some sort of nature scene to photograph them? It's a counterintuitive move for anybody who might be kind of obsessive about taking proper care of your guitar. In other words, why would someone who is trying to sell their "perfect" guitar take it and lean it up against a tree for a photo shoot? Anyone?

Because it offers much better and more consistent lighting than anything I can manage in the house. Shiny guitars don't like flashes. And it's on a stand, not leaning against a tree. The 335 lives in a hard case when it's not being played or photographed.

I have to say, I really don't understand what purpose your post serves.

This has been a really interesting thread. I am in two minds about the idea of selling guitars. In the 1970's I owned about 5 Gibsons and gradually sold 3 of them because I wasn't playing them. I now regret having sold them particularly a beautiful old archtop.

On the other hand I have now accumulated maybe too many guitars and I'm thinking of selling a couple of guitars that I haven't bonded with and very rarely play. My natural instinct is not to sell after my '70's experiences but I figure that I might sell a couple to buy a couple that I would really like to own. However it is easy to get it all wrong and I find that there is nothing worse than the actual moment you hand the guitar over.

1. A guitar shot against a "good" background will sell for more than a guitar shot against a "bad" background. A natural background looks "good" without having to worry about it too much.

2. A natural background won't overpower the subject because the human brain instinctively interprets it as the background, no matter how inconsistent it is.

3. Like in architecture, different things look good together when they have a natural visual connection. They make an aesthetically pleasing combination because the brain automatically associates them even though you're not thinking about it. When you design a building in the desert, its colors should be similar to the natural landscape. Like how adobe type architecture blends with the desert background. Or like how they use colors that match the native bedrock - reds for areas where sandstone predominates, or grays where limestone is the native bedrock.

4. If the contrast is right, the guitar can stand out better, but the high contrast won't look unnatural.

How about this?

DSC_0045.jpg

1. A guitar shot against a "good" background will sell for more than a guitar shot against a "bad" background. A natural background looks "good" without having to worry about it too much.

2. A natural background won't overpower the subject because the human brain instinctively interprets it as the background, no matter how inconsistent it is.

3. Like in architecture, different things look good together when they have a natural visual connection. They make an aesthetically pleasing combination because the brain automatically associates them even though you're not thinking about it. When you design a building in the desert, its colors should be similar to the natural landscape. Like how adobe type architecture blends with the desert background. Or like how they use colors that match the native bedrock - reds for areas where sandstone predominates, or grays where limestone is the native bedrock.

4. If the contrast is right, the guitar can stand out better, but the high contrast won't look unnatural.

How about this?

DSC_0045.jpg

Well done. The outdoor location brings out the red in a way that an indoor shot would not. Here's an interior shot of the same 335:

GibsonES-335andBluesJr.jpg?1285511899

and another of the previously mentioned, 3-1/2-years-gone Country Gent:

GretschChetAtkinsCountryGentleman.jpg?1285511982

I really think it's something other than lighting that attracts people to bring their guitars outdoors and photograph them. I actually think the shots are quite beautiful...and this is probably the reason it's done--the guitars look good in nature settings. BUT...when I am buying a used guitar, I would think twice about buying from someone so will to put their guitar under a tree or on a pier, or in the snow.... I actually have seen photos on ebay of a guitar placed outside in the snow.

Archived