Gibson Brands Forums

MK- 72 Guitars

billyboy

• 11 months later...

I am very interested in how many of you out there own a Gibson MK-72 or any guitar from the MK series. And what do you think of it. It is my favorite guitar to play by far. Have been told that is sounds better from a distance then from the guitar while you are actually playing it. I've been told that only a few of them are left because of they way they were designed, apparently a lot of them collapsed because of lack of support under the bridge and they just collapsed after a period of time. Mine is holding out well and looks like it did when I bought it in 1976.There is a little lifting behind the bridge and a very slight dip in front of the bridge. Any recommendations on how or who to take it to that could actually straighten that out. Otherwise the action is nice and low and plays very true. I've been quite disillusioned about some of the comments and value of the guitar as I had chosen it over a J-200 and many D-45 Martins that were priced considerably higher and have no regrets over that decision even to this day. Played one Martin D-45 that was unbelievable but my cousin bought it before I came back to pick it up once I had enough money for it.Oh to be a starving musician again.

Hi there. If you are still interested in anyone who owns a MK72 then let me add my input. I bought mine in the UK in 1978 and still play it every day. I guess I must have been lucky with the basic instrument construction although I have made some important changes to overcome the few weaknesses that remain. It was always a loud and strong instrument (and very heavy for an acoustic). It has some battle scars but has a very natural antique look to the top and binding (it has mellowed to a warm yellow on the top and to the binding.

It has needed some minor repairs over the years but they have enhanced the sound and life.

Repair 1 - added some superglue under the bridge as it was lifting slightly.

Repair 2 - added some superglue under the soundhole ring as it was loose.

Repair 3 - made a new nut from a 1/4 inch Tusq blank. This enhanced the sound beyond belief!!

Repair 4 - made a 1mm thick brass bridge plate as the string ballends were almost pulling through the original wood bridge plate. This gave another big boost to the sound.

I still use the original rosewood bridge pins

Fitted with light gauge Elixir 80/20 nanowebs this guitar rings and sings with great depth and sustain.

Many people have said a MK guitar does not sound like a Gibson. But then neither does a Taylor or a Martin and they seem to sell so that reason for condemning this model is invalid but many people do condemn it.

I play mine acoustically in folk clubs and it is praised.

I have fitted a KK Pure Mini pickup and play in a folk band and again it sounds great.

When they are good they are really good guitars

I have only owned a MK-81 which is still in pristine condition and I want to keep it that way. It is the best acoustic I have had all my life, regardless of what the "experts" say.

I started playing guitar in 1963, so that should tell you, I've been through most every acoustic guitar except Martins, I never cared for Martins, over-rated, over-priced.

And I believe these MK guitars were incorrectly marketed by Norlin as a "Country" guitar when in fact the MK guitars were way beyond in sound and engineering. Then the production guitars were messed up somehow, luthier Richard Schneider quits from Norlin in anger, "what have you done to my guitar", nobody will ever know.

I got lucky and found a retired Gibson sales rep who had the MK-81 (supposedly one of the Demonstrator guitars done by Schneider); Here it is:

f0c9d6067282e8e438e6.jpg

Gibson Mk Guitars were just a flop.. Kasha styled Bracing.. to the Insert adjustable saddles.. If they were really anygood.. they would be still in production.. and not left in the files under G.. But I do understand the appeal to these as there are not many still left out there without issues..

• 3 years later...

This is an old post but the MK72 is and old guitar so am replying with my story. I recently acquired one from my neighbor who bought it new in store in 1980. He pretty much kept it in the original case all these years. It is near pristine with no dings or scratches at all and no fret wear. The only evidence that is not off the factory floor are 1" lacquer cracks next to each other off the sound hole. I gave it a truss adjustment and setup by sanding down the bottom of the original saddle and it sure is balanced as everyone says. The case contains the pick guard in the original envelope and an extra saddle as well as the Gibson warranty card which interestingly doesn't match the instrument. Mine is an Mk72 Natural, serial number 208827 but the card says MK35 SB Lot no 3138 with the same serial number. I really like the instrument but if it is really worth what I see them listed for on Reverb, I may consider finding a buyer. Mine doesn't seem to have any structural issues but if you look at light glaring across the top, you can see how the wood is not perfectly flat but ripples just a bit. Can't feel it but from what I read that is evidence of weak bracing. I'd be happy to post more info or pics but you know what it looks like. Just sharing that there is a cool survivor out there.

• 7 months later...

I've had a Mark 72 for just shy of 30 years. I'm more of an electric guy, but one strum on this thing and I had to have it. The tone & bass is phenomenal & the neck plays like butter. I ended up acquiring an original store display some years later & bought a repaired Mark 35 just to have another guitar to hang on it, (it was cheap). The Mark 35 in my opinion doesn't compare to the 72 in tone. A much thinner tinier tone. Still an ok acoustic.

DiLW3JOh.jpg

• Like 1

These have always been somewhat under rated. For a Gibson acoustic with rosewood back & sides it's a bargain! Another builder was using the Kasha bracing & was selling his guitars for huge money, I don't recall his name, Stein?

13 minutes ago, Grog said:

These have always been somewhat under rated. For a Gibson acoustic with rosewood back & sides it's a bargain! Another builder was using the Kasha bracing & was selling his guitars for huge money, I don't recall his name, Stein?

I see the one on Reverb for 1,200 and mine is in  much better shape. Will see how Guitar Center appraises it and how it sounds after the work.