Gibson Brands Forums

How Much Did She Run You?

Artie Owl

Yeah I used to go to LA a couple times a month with my friend but he moved to San Francisco. We always went to the GC and had a few other regular places too.

Sometimes their prices are a bit crazy on the vintage guitars. This Special is pretty fairly priced at about 3 grand. Not bad. Cheaper than some reissues lol. It's been refretted but other than that it's original and I don't mind the refret. If I had the money I'd haggle the price down a little and get it. It sounds and feels perfect. And it looks awesome too of course.

I've chatted with a couple guys who work the vintage room and they're cool guys. My friend bought his Moog Prodigy there so we did a lot of talking with the guy working there.

I know GC gets a bad wrap but I love that place. Oh yeah they have a 1960 LP Special that is also excellent.

And their old Fender amps... Oh man. I could just go on and on.

First SG was a Special Faded brown when they first came out in 2002(?). Paid $599 at Sam Ash. It had the crescent moon inlays on the ebony fretboard. It was decent enough, but I got bored with it and traded for a '96 Nighthawk. I recently bought one of the white standards ($1050) with coil splitting but the neck was too thin and the BB 1&3 pups didn't do it for me. I now have a brown Standard with the fatter neck, 490R/498T and I'm very happy(traded a too-heavy Les Paul for it). My only complaint with the newer brown STD is that it is a two piece, poorly matched body...but boy, does she sing!!!!!!! [thumbup]

$255 brand-new including a Gibson Les Paul case which fit great from Giant Music in Falls Church, VA, 1968. I was fourteen and my dad had to drive me there. He never could figure out where I learned to haggle, either. I had Chuck Levin's bidding on the pay phone outside Giant & Giant matched their price and saved us another 45 minutes (90 minutes today) of driving.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought my new 2010 SG 61 reissue at GC in Nashville. I wanted to buy a standard, but they only had black and I wanted to red - so they up sold me.... I paid $1,950 out the door. This included the case and tax. I think the list price in the store was $1,995 and I would have still had to pay tax. Now I just need to learn how to play it.

post-26778-095472600 1288647058_thumb.jpg

Man, I love Craigslist sometimes. I paid $200 for a 1993 '61 Reissue SG with a badly repaired broken headstock that scared away a couple other folks. Admittedly, the break and repair was pretty bad - it didn't even line up right even though the guy claimed he took it to a pro. No way. I took it to my guy (who is really truly good) who had to re-break the headstock and dig out a bunch of weird filler and old glue (it wasn't a wood glue) and then put it all back together. Under normal light, you can't see the repair unless you look close like this camera angle and you can't feel it at all. While he was at it, he installed a Tone Pros bridge I had laying around, did the capacitor/resistor tone bleed thing on both volume pots, adjusted the truss rod and did a general se-up. Total repair/setup/bridge install = $250 + the $200 for the guitar = $450 for a '61 reissue that feels, plays and sounds great. One of the big surprises is how good it sounds played acoustically - it's really alive. I had a '68 SG Standard and a '68 SG Custom back in the 70's but this is my first SG since about 1980 and I'm a happy guy. Already did one gig and thought I'd have this as a backup but instead used it the entire night. I'm a happy guy.

ps - the Grovers seemed original and the factory confirmed that they shipped some out like this back then

post-25862-014821800 1288896330_thumb.jpg

Just last week I went in Guitar Center (Va Beach) and they had Gibson SG Standards on sale from their usual $1199, marked down to $999.

I bought my first SG, the Ebony SG Standard for $999 + tax. She's in getting a fret dress as we speak, can't wait to get her back.

IMG_0557.jpg

Archived