Gibson Brands Forums

Studio recordings

Silenced Fred

So this isn't the "girls I want to plow" thread (that's coming up later), I got studio time through the college on Thursdays from 6-9. I have never gone in a studio to record before, so I was wondering if people had advice. It's me and my friend who drums, might have a bassist soon, and my other friend is gonna run the boards.

Tips, tricks, etc are all welcome

is the time free? if you've got time to burn and are not in a rush, experiment with micing a LOT. close mic, room mic, different mics, etc.

how many tracks do you have to work with in studio?

what's the mic selection like?

i LOVE recording: esp. the experimenting part (as long as i am not paying for the time of course.)

and +1 on knowing the tracks cold.

have fun!

Don

is the time free? if you've got time to burn and are not in a rush, experiment with micing a LOT. close mic, room mic, different mics, etc.

how many tracks do you have to work with in studio?

what's the mic selection like?

i LOVE recording: esp. the experimenting part (as long as i am not paying for the time of course.)

and +1 on knowing the tracks cold.

have fun!

Don

Yeah, time is free because I'm in a music recording class. I want to work on doing a room mic, a stereo mic for the amp, a mono mic, and the drums will all be electronic set (until a day when we have everything set because my friend doesn't wanna bring his set in yet, its on the third floor of a building...)

Not sure on mic selection, but they have a ton of stuff.

Put more effort into performing than producing.

Get it as close to perfect as you can through the raw performance. Studio trickery can only take you so far.

FXCK STUDIO TRICKERY! The only mixing and stuff is gonna be balancing levels and some panning. I am not into the whole studio game and have no wish to be. There are few topics other than redheads are insanely hot that I am as adamant about as not changing stuff in the studio. I want quality, but I want a live, raw feel to the music. I hate over mixed stuff or signals that have been over processed.

I play it, and it gets recorded. That's it. Trust me

FXCK STUDIO TRICKERY! The only mixing and stuff is gonna be balancing levels and some panning. I am not into the whole studio game and have no wish to be. There are few topics other than redheads are insanely hot that I am as adamant about as not changing stuff in the studio. I want quality, but I want a live, raw feel to the music. I hate over mixed stuff or signals that have been over processed.

I play it, and it gets recorded. That's it. Trust me

+1. The best "studio trickery" in my mind is getting good levels and a true sound up front. And, mixing is getting a nice balance between all the tracks. :)

This said, don't be afraid to play around and have fun with it. some layering can be interesting (esp if you hear a counterpoint or another guitar part in your mind.) I am not saying "record a good snare hit and assign it to a trigger"... or the "Q" word: quantize... lol!

looking forward to hearing what you come up with!

Don

That's all my teacher talks about, how all digital does is make stuff better and I don't appreciate it... DAMN RIGHT I DON'T APPRECIATE IT

You fxcking get up and drop that piece of sh!t! msp_mad.gif It's because of studio effects that people like Justin Beiber can even sound good! With today's studio effects anyone can sound good and the people with actual talent don't get discovered! msp_mad.gif

And I'm not kidding about dropping that loser of a teacher you have. RIGHT HOOK TO THE JAW!!!!! msp_cursing.gifmsp_cursing.gifmsp_cursing.gif

You fxcking get up and drop that piece of sh!t! msp_mad.gif It's because of studio effects that people like Justin Beiber can even sound good! With today's studio effects anyone can sound good and the people with actual talent don't get discovered! msp_mad.gif

And I'm not kidding about dropping that loser of a teacher you have. RIGHT HOOK TO THE JAW!!!!! msp_cursing.gifmsp_cursing.gifmsp_cursing.gif

Because I'm in the class, I get free studio time. I'm a whore, I'll do most things for money, or when I don't have to pay money

I was going to take a recording class too but I was late to registration. I was wondering if I could record in there.

That sounds like a sweet deal. I've only recorded in my friends studio (who actually has nice equipment).

I've tried recording songs track by track and it's very hard/ awkward. I definately prefer live recording although it's hard to get the tracks as cleanly isolated or whatever. I would like to record a track live and then overdub.

Studio trickery ?..............Getting some good experience in the studio should involve being able to play to tracks coming through your headphones that have been layed down already. Just doing a live in studio thing can be even more dificult to get a good final product, it is good to experiment. Just getting a drum set miked right can be a hassle, and in a small studio you may have to just lay down the drums due to the amount of mics and tracks. Then mix that down to L / R and proceed to the bass etc.

Of course I have not been in a studio since we were using a one inch tape Ampeg machine so what do I know. [razz]

Only three hours???? [confused]

It takes just that long to mic up a drum-set [confused]

Nothing worse than feeling rushed during a studio gig

It's an electronic set (for now, I know. he's gonna bring his set in later, we wanna get a feel for stuff though.)

I mean, we can probably go later, but that's what he told me. I'm trying to get him to come in on the weekends or at least have someone else come in on the weekends. I know, its a start though

I can, but I refuse to use a drum machine. I'm alright at bass, and as long as its nothing like Freddie Mercury, I can do vocals

Ah but what about actual digital samples of drums recorded in a studio........this is what is available now.

Archived