Gibson Brands Forums

Vox Night Train or Peavey Classic 30

chase1410

Hey guys, I was at a Best Buy lastnight, (one with a music section) and they had a Night Train out for demo. So i plugged in a SG and started rockin with some Gain. And all i could say is...wow...i was really amazed, the distortion sounded incredible...Now my question is, I had a old Peavey Classic 30, that met its demise about a month ago, when coffee took its life...I loved that amp, and was INCREDIBLY pedal friendly. Now I'm stuck between getting the a new Night Train, or go back to a "newer" C30? If anyone has expierence with both, advice would be greatly appreciated, Im having a real hard time choosing between the two.

Well...two things:

1) The Peavey will probably be more gig-friendly, and in addition to that you already have some experience with the model. I don't know if the new ones are to similar specs of the older one you had, but my guess is that it would probably be pretty similar.

2) The cleans on the NT always sounded too chimey and sparkly for my tastes, and the character of the amp seems to be such that it's not very easy to mellow it out. This comment has more to do with my own tastes, but I think the Classic 30 can get a little thicker.

Devil's Advocate

Forget the Night Train

Get a Vox AC30 1x12

Or a Laney VC30 1x12

Nice combos.....

I wish i could....but its way out of my price range...Im looking for something 800$ or under. And 800 is stretching it...I cant buy used either, because I'm using American Musicals Payment Plan.

I really like the sound and the versatility of the Night Train its a great small amp. I've never been a real fan of the Peavey although if i was to play one the Classic would likely be the one. the Vox would be my choice especially because it's a combo there's so many times where the head is all I take width me and I plug into whatever cabinets are available.

Plus it's just cool looking

IMG_0028_2.jpg

The cleans on the NT always sounded too chimey and sparkly for my tastes, and the character of the amp seems to be such that it's not very easy to mellow it out.

+1

Played a Night Train when looking to put together my home rig. Have a Vox VT50 for playing shows (which is getting upgraded next) so I figured I'd see if I'd get a Vox for home. Played with it for a while and ended up at the same conclusion XDemonknight did. Has a really bright clean, which was OK, but didn't want to seem to mellow out the gain enough to get the sounds I typically use.

Ended up getting a Jet City JCA20H instead. Might get a NT in the future because I do like it, even if only for specific uses.

If it really speaks to you, I think it'll serve you well.

Just my 2¢.

Archived