Gibson Brands Forums

is this sg custom real?

timjtitus

Looks Lygit to me, with the two screw truss cover.

Look on the back of the headstock, along the sides, are there thin strips of shaped wood glued onto it? If there is then typically it's the real deal because fakers apparently make the headstock out of one piece.

Hard to say for sure, but I don't see any of the obvious stuff normally associated with fakes. In addition to what you mentioned, the bridge looks like it's been replaced but it might just be some weird Gibson part from the 70's for all I know.

In the end, I don't see any reason why someone would fake a Gibson that has had it's finish stripped off and several mods made to it; fakes are usually meant to look nice and unmolested. My gut tells me that it's most likely real.

Hard to say for sure, but I don't see any of the obvious stuff normally associated with fakes. In addition to what you mentioned, the bridge looks like it's been replaced but it might just be some weird Gibson part from the 70's for all I know.

In the end, I don't see any reason why someone would fake a Gibson that has had it's finish stripped off and several mods made to it; fakes are usually meant to look nice and unmolested. My gut tells me that it's most likely real.

It might be a weird Gibson part for that era.

I saw a 70's SG Standard with that same bridge.

Norlin hardware perhaps? Plus the Alex Lifeson 335 had a similar bridge.

Sorry, I should've been more specific. Gibson's don't use one single piece as the headstock, it's laminated. So, if the back of the headstock is one piece of wood, unlike the picture I just added, it's not a legit Gibson.

My 72 SG250 is a two piece neck with no volute...

I'm with Duane on this one.

Gibson made so many variations of the SG in the seventies you need a score card to keep up.

Same thing Fender did with the Telecaster - some pretty bizarre stuff.

Much of it is undocumented and simply anecdotal now.

Looks like it's been modded, and they were never an expensive guitar to begin with.

If the price is right, no harm done.

I wouldn't spend big "vintage" money on it though.

Under a grand - I could live with it.

WAY under a grand and I'd be happy!

[thumbup]

Archived