Gibson Brands Forums

SG loses color

lindic

Hi,

I asked this question already in the german forum, but still no answers.

I own a SG Faded Worn Cherry since one year and the back of the guitar loses color. That means, my jeans is always red after playing one or two hours.

Does anyone know, how to avoid this? Oil, wax or something like that?

Regards,

Stephan

Sounds like maybe you've warn through the thin finish on the back and the stain is coming off on yer clothes. You could cover the neck, sides and front, and spray some satin finish on the back to seal it. Use fine steel wool to feather the edges of the spray if you can see them.

Double check those scratch pads. A guy posted about using a pickguard similarly made with clear so he could still see the finish and flame of his nice LP. The thing reacted with the nitro finish under it and melted the finish. Yes. Like with guitar stand damage. Brutal. Might be okay with your faded finish, but do double check.

Forget messing with the axe and invest in a pair of black jeans - problem solved. Even more R&R if they are black leather and since you are in Germany, you can get a pair of black leather jeans good and cheap at your nearest Louis motorcycle accessory shop.

Archived