Gibson Brands Forums

For some reason i love wraptail style guitars

dem00n

Intonation is over rated.<...>

I suppose that is a matter of personal taste.

I grew up in a classical environment where intonation is essential. The sax (my primary instrument) is not in tune with itself, and each note must be adjusted by using the player's ear and lip pressure. This makes me very sensitive to intonation so for me personally, the ability to adjust the intonation of a guitar is very important.

Now I admit that I do play with intonation on my sax, as a guitarist bends strings or uses the vibrato bar, but when I want a note "on" for artistic reasons (whatever that means) I want it "on".

So for me a wrap around bridge is a step backwards. But there is more than one right way to make music.

I must add that I hear old songs that I dearly love that have intonation problems with the guitars, voices and other instruments, and I can't say that I would like them any better if they were more in tune. Perhaps the poor intonation is part of their charm? I can't say. But I like to have control over my intonation and only have it off when I want it to be off. YMMV

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Archived