Gibson Brands Forums

THE JUST TALK THREAD.

Diego the guy

Thanks Diego. There is another thread entitled what did you do this weekend (or something like that). I went to see Van Morrison Saturday night. The crowd (bsides my wife) was 50 plus in age (just to create the ambience). Assigned seating, expensive tickets. I stood in line for 30 minutes to get a glass (or 3) of wine to take to the seat. They cut off sales right when I stepped up to the counter. The woman behind the counter said "Mr. Morrison said all sales of everything stops at 8:00 when his show begins". Hardly any warning. I saw him in 2006 and he was a real jerk to his band while on stage in a small venue. Turned the audience off. You think I would have learned.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent. I feel better already. [blink]

I played several jobs with THEM back in 1966. In fact the photo below was taken after their very first U.S. performance in San Leandro. We were heading out for dinner, (Pizza), and Van was a perfect gentleman. (maybe because that was the night he met Janet (Planet) Rigsbee). Sometime later, we played a Gig with THEM in a small theater in Central California. By this time we had become somewhat friendly. Van was drunk and beat up several members of his band. He kicked our drums off the stand, (they used our equipment), and hit his keyboard player with a mic stand. He walked off in the middle of the set, and went to his limousine, (back then the limousines were more like undertaker's cars), with Janet. I went up to the open back door to see what the heck he was doing...and he wanted me to get in the back seat with him and Janet. I'd just seen him kick the poop out of his friends, I sure as heck didn't want to get in the car with him! Well, he insisted, so I got in there. He was talking almost incoherently by that time. Soon the police came and they pulled him out of the car, handcuffed him and led him away. Janet went running after him....I stayed in the back seat of the limousine.

VanMorrison-Bob.jpg?t=1287682382

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played several jobs with THEM back in 1966. In fact the photo below was taken after their very first U.S. performance in San Leandro. We were heading out for dinner, (Pizza), and Van was a perfect gentleman. (maybe because that was the night he met Janet (Planet) Rigsbee). Sometime later, we played a Gig with THEM in a small theater in Central California. By this time we had become somewhat friendly. Van was drunk and beat up several members of his band. He kicked our drums off the stand, (they used our equipment), and hit his keyboard player with a mic stand. He walked off in the middle of the set, and went to his limousine, (back then the limousines were more like undertaker's cars), with Janet. I went up to the open back door to see what the heck he was doing...and he wanted me to get in the back seat with him and Janet. I'd just seen him kick the poop out of his friends, I sure as heck didn't want to get in the car with him! Well, he insisted, so I got in there. He was talking almost incoherently by that time. Soon the police came and they pulled him out of the car, handcuffed him and led him away. Janet went running after him....I stayed in the back seat of the limousine.

VanMorrison-Bob.jpg?t=1287682382

Damn what a great story Danville! Did you at least have a cocktail in the back of the car before he was carted off?

The smallish venue I was talking about was the 40th anniversary of the Montreux Jazz festival in 06 and my brother (who lives there) scored back stage passes and we met and partied with some biggies but his performance unfortunately stands out in my mind (along with some great performances by others). Robert Plant came out and sang Honeydrippers stuff followed by Stevie Nicks who sang "Rock N Roll" and brought the freaking house down.

Damn what a great story Danville! Did you at least have a cocktail in the back of the car before he was carted off?

The smallish venue I was talking about was the 40th anniversary of the Montreux Jazz festival in 06 and my brother (who lives there) scored back stage passes and we met and partied with some biggies but his performance unfortunately stands out in my mind (along with some great performances by others). Robert Plant came out and sang Honeydrippers stuff followed by Stevie Nicks who sang "Rock N Roll" and brought the freaking house down.

HAHAHA...no, no cocktail fo rme...(I was a kid).... Here is the whole photo. I posted only part of it showing me and Van together. It's no secret that Morrison is/was sensitive about his height, (along with his red hair, pudgy body, etc), so he naturally gravitated to me since I wasn't any taller than he is!

You'll notice Janet Planet all the way to the right.

THEMPeterWheat.jpg?t=1287754231

Looks like she's looking at him or in his direction. Hey I'm vertically challenged so I know what you mean - My uncle always said, "gravity keeps me down".

Great story. I've seen some of your stories on this forum. You ought to publish them like the Chuck Berry one. Really great stuff.

Archived