Gibson Brands Forums

Traditional roll call

Silverbursted

Thank you. If I didn't already have an R7' date=' I probably would have gone for the Goldtop. My R7 has the VOS treatment, so it is not nearly as shiny as yours. =P~ [/quote']

Black Beauty= WAYYY cooler than Goldtop

sorry but it's true

Hi Kenny,

yes, it's a vintage modern. it totally blows me away. when I was in the market for a new amp I was initially leaning toward the marshall bluesbreaker reissue. while I was pretty sold on the reissue, I decided to take the VM for a test drive on a whim, and found it to be a far nicer amp than the bluesbreaker reissue.

I went home and did a little research and found the vintage modern forum. There, I learned from Steve Dawson, who is the designer of the amp, that it's essentially the same as the Hendrix stack reissue (he designed that as well), only that it has the added feature of a high dynamic range. the other major difference is that it's not hand wired (by no means a deal breaker to me).

because people like tone examples I'll give you a few: I am able to absolutely nail, not approximate, everything from the bluesbreaker era Clapton tone (better than the bluesbreaker reissue I should add), to Angus Young, Jimmy Page, Thin Lizzy, to 70's/80's classic metal (yes, Slash fans, his tone is in there in spades). The amp also cleans up wonderfully with the use of the volume knob on your guitar. the best tone I've found in the VM though is my own. that tone I've had in my head but always fell just short of is finally here. I think that is the best compliment I can give the amp.

as for any negative reviews on the amp (I'm sure you've read them), just keep in mind that those sources are most likely people who would lean toward modeling technology to begin with, and most likely have also grown up on a steady diet of cd's and mp3's. the other detractors may be those who are after a more modern metal sound, for which this amp was not designed (though you could certainly achieve that with the use of pedals if you wish).

the vintage modern is the real deal.

* a little long winded, yes - but there is a lot (and plenty more) of good things to say about it...

get the VM' date=' Slash plays them. [/quote']

Be careful putting too much faith in a new amp with a high-profile endorsement deal...

I'm betting he won't be using them live in two years -assuming he really uses them now.

I'm not impressed with them, but I'm WAY old school when it comes to Marshalls.

The JCM 800 is as new as I care to own.

Be careful putting too much faith in a new amp with a high-profile endorsement deal...

I'm betting he won't be using them live in two years -assuming he really uses them now.

I'm not impressed with them' date=' but I'm WAY old school when it comes to Marshalls.

The JCM 800 is as new as I care to own.[/quote']

VM is old school...it uses the original kt66 tubes that Marshall used before switching to el34s and it a single channel amp.

Neo,

If you are into the old school Marshall vibe, then you might want to take a look at the vintage modern. The whole point of the design and manufacturing of the amp is based on getting back to basics with the vintage marshall tone. I'm sorry, but the JCM800 is not a "vintage" marshall tone - the use of EL34's is an unquestionably "modern" marshall tone (when looking at the history of the marshall design/manufacturing). On the other hand, the KT66 power tubes that are used in the VM are unquestionably "old school".

If you DO like the JCM800 vibe though, the high dynamic range on the VM takes you to that territory (gain wise).

It's a players amp - and it exposes with great delight those who can not actually play. There is nowhere to hide - if you suck, it shows. It's definitely not for everyone.

My hunch is that you are a pretty good player, so I'd give it another look and spend a little time with it dialing in some different tones. I think you might be pleasantly surprised eusa_angel.gif

I am able to absolutely nail' date=' not approximate, everything from the bluesbreaker era Clapton tone (better than the bluesbreaker reissue I should add), to Angus Young, Jimmy Page, Thin Lizzy, to 70's/80's classic metal (yes, Slash fans, his tone is in there in spades). [/quote']

Sounds perfect - of course we want video. C'mon show us what that baby can do! (BTW, The VM is built on a printed circuit board, correct? Not hand-wired like the megabuck reissues)

I'm not impressed with them' date=' but I'm WAY old school when it comes to Marshalls.

The JCM 800 is as new as I care to own.[/quote']

It was a joke, you didn't quote my smiley.

I looked at the VM but decided on the JVM.

It's killer.

EL84's, very vintage.

Archived