Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Melody Maker (current reissues) - Quality???

Alan17

As part of a thread I started in the Epiphone area of this forum, in which I sought information about various Epi guitars, I ended up encountering a Gibson Melody Maker which isn't a model I'd seen before. This seemed ideal for my needs and I have managed to try one in a guitar shop here in the UK, and I really liked it.

However, the following comment was posted into the thread after I'd described my encounters with a Melody Maker and the other guitar on my shortlist, an Epiphone LP Studio ....

Alan, as an inveterate LP Junior afficionado, I've been interested in Melody Makers for some time. Problem I've found with them is the neck. The fret work on those guitars always seems to be lacking - sharp ends and little or no beveling. Disappointing on an American made guitar, but thye are the least expensive Gibson after all. A good fret dressing is around $100, so significant additional cost. Not slagging Gibson here, just wanted to point it out for closer inspection next time you have one in your hands ....

Cheers, Brian

So - has anyone in this part of the forum had any experiences of trying or buying a recently-made Melody Maker?

Are the problems described by Brian common or has he been just plain unlucky?

My daughter has a Gibby 2008 MM and I have a 2009 Joan Jet MM.... Ya the fret ends were a little sharp upon purchase, but it's not cut your palm sharp.

Speaking for me, all my guitars right after purchase go straight to my Luthier for fret dressing and complete set-ups. It's very very seldom that any guitar I have ever purchased over my 36 years of playing magically felt perfect.

I don't expect Gibson or any other guitar manufacturer to magically read my mind and make a guitar that perfectly fits, (though my Gibby JJ MM came very close)..... As long as I have something to work with, I can have it fine tuned for my odd playing style. [thumbup]

Don't currently own one, but a buddy of mine has 3. They're all great guitars,

both in tone and playability. I would Love to find a "reasonable" Joan Jett

"Runaways" (White) model, but the used, but not abused ones, when you can find

them, are a bit "steep," price wise, for my needs. Might just end up getting a

"Blackheart" model, as my dealer sells them, for less than most, and quite a bit

less than a used "Runaways" version. Same guitar, just different color and fret

markers. So...???

CB

I've had mine since 2007 and have no problems or complaints. Despite some higher quality guitars in my collection, I still routinely pick up the Melody Maker and play it. For the money I don't think you can beat it. I've got a MiM Telecaster that was probably priced $100 or so more than the Melody Maker, and I think the fret quality on the Melody Maker is significantly better.

I've had mine since 2007 and have no problems or complaints. Despite some higher quality guitars in my collection, I still routinely pick up the Melody Maker and play it. For the money I don't think you can beat it. I've got a MiM Telecaster that was probably priced $100 or so more than the Melody Maker, and I think the fret quality on the Melody Maker is significantly better.

[thumbup]

So - has anyone in this part of the forum had any experiences of trying or buying a recently-made Melody Maker?

Are the problems described by Brian common or has he been just plain unlucky?

Just my experience back in 2008. I will try a few again considering the comments above.

I do like basic little slabs guits a lot.

Wow, my first post on the Gibby side and it didn't even sting...

Yet.

I bought the Joan Jett Worn white model on ebay a while back and it doesn't have any issues as you talked about. Nice little guitar.

You just have to "Rub it in," don't you "G!" LOL ;>) I really want one of those!!

But, being "poh," at the moment, isn't helping. Hopefully, there will be others???

CB

Thanks for all those responses - hopefully, Brian was unlucky in the MM's he tried.

It's interesting (and VERY worrying for my wife) to note the extent to which my 'virtual budget' has grown during this search for a replacement for my humble and rather unreliable Epiphone Invader/Junior. Admittedly I've now adjusted to the fact that a modicum of patience will have to be involved, not to mention saving-up, but it's rather disturbing how artefacts of 'mere' wood and metal can have this sort of effect ....

Now back to my bank statements to see what I can accomplish by way of juggling my accounts!

Thanks again.

I have two of the two pickup models I bought last year specifically to mod when Sweetwater was selling them out. I wasn't really disappointed in the quality or finish of the frets I did dress the ends though as they were like any lower cost guitars and needed some help. I would guess that the Epiphone would probably have the same type of finish work.

One of the things a lot of people don't realize is the fretboard is the first place that show's issue's if a guitar is kept in a poor environment without proper humidification the fretboard shrinks and the short bottom of the fret sticks out and feels very sharp. I probably work on 5 or so guitars a year with this issue and depending on where you live it can happen pretty fast especially for a guitar that comes in a cardboard box for a case.

As for the expense of 100 dollars I wish - It doesn't require a fret dressing or even a level level job unless there are other issues, dressing the end of frets is a fairly easy process and even if you buy a specialty file from Stewmac (not needed but the u shape helps for the first time) it's only twelve dollars and that type of file and a roll of blue painters tape is all you really need. It's kind of scary to start filing on your new guitar but hey a MM is a perfect guitar to learn on and then you'll be able to do it yourself.

The Melody Maker is a great first guitar and they are fun even if you own dozens of high end guitars I have an original and that or a JR is what I play on the couch watching TV.

The Melody Maker is a great first guitar and they are fun even if you own dozens of high end guitars I have an original and that or a JR is what I play on the couch watching TV.

I'm not alone in the world!!!

With me it's slumped in an old armchair with a bottle of beer on a small side-table with my guitar plugged through a small Zoom II into my earphones so that I can happily ignore the world and pluck away to my heart's content.

I think retrosurfer1959 brought up a good valid point of guitars in cardboard boxes, and not in cases. The air doesn't do any guitar favors in a box while in stock. Another reason to pay a little more and have manufactures use cases. Gig bags really don't make it either.

Archived