Gibson Brands Forums

Always A Treat

Buc McMaster

It doesn't get any better than Tommy, as a guitar player, or as a person. A friend of mine was doing some research and interviews for a Mel Bay tribute and had contacted Tommy's management agency. Tommy replied that next time he was in St. Louis, which wasn't too far in the future, he would be glad to sit down and chat.

My friend was waiting at the concert hall when Tommy arrived and introduced himself. He said Tommy was very gracious, and apologized for having to get soundcheck out of the way first. After soundcheck they sat down and had a long chat about Mel Bay, Chet Atkins and all kinds of stuff. I wished I would have tagged along.

A now defunct gutarist's website I used to write for had a Chicago Radio DJ that used to pop in from time to time and post some really cool interviews and performances form his radio show. One of which was this Tommy Emmanuel clip. The first time I saw this it gave me goose bumps, and still does.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=wgnradiovideo#p/search/0/vAG62AjsNxM

(sorry I don't know how to "embed", someone maybe can do that for me.)

If you ever have the chance to see him perform, DON'T MISS THE OPPORTUNITY.

Whauw – It is as if this stage does something special to the performers up there. Bring your little brown well mojoed friend with some silk'n'steel on it, and the red curtain will lift you into a higher sphere, seems to be the deal. His full-chord strums sound brilliant, so does the bass-notes – and then further towards Celtic bagpipe territory as outro, , , amazing.

Is there 2 silhouettes listening in the back. In that case they are so taken they can't even tap their feet.

... and then further towards Celtic bagpipe territory as outro ...

Glad I came back for another look and listen. First time around I couldn't put my finger on that ending bit . . .

Thanks to you E-minor7, you nailed it for me.

And BTW - great post Buc.

Archived