Gibson Brands Forums

Eric and Sunshine - What guitar

Tman

Anyone who would start the solo in "Sunshine Of Your Love" by playing the first 4 bars of the melody of "Blue Moon" deserves a mention in a thread that talks about backwards things. (I always get an internal smile when I hear it.)

As far as which guitar he played, I'm clueless. I've never been interested in copying anyone's tone. Not that it's wrong to do so, it just isn't my thing. I feel that technique trumps tone any day, so I work on my technique and musical expression.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

One of these two?

post-7409-020659500 1288181699_thumb.jpg

post-7409-089111600 1288182030_thumb.jpg

post-7409-099195400 1288182082_thumb.jpg

Is that a Dano bass in the last pic?

I also think he flattens the tone out, muted fuzz tone almost. Even on the solo it sounds like the tone knob is close to zero. This is just 100% speculation on my part.

I like the way you think. I tell my kids that the only truly stupid question is one not asked (more inspirational than accurate). You're right, the worst that can happen is refusal - although I don't think I have a snowball's chance in hell in getting a response. [crying]

PPCS336 - I respectfully diasagree, you can get very close, look at all of the really good faux bands out there. I just like the sound of that one guitar, that day under those conditions and I have since the late 60s. Now that I am reborn as a guitar player in mid life after years of barely playing, I'd love to knock it out of the park (The sound not the song which along with smoke on the water will never be played by a band I'm in) [scared]

I tell you what. I'll mail him myself. I like a challenge. I'll look him up tonight.

watch this space.

Is that a Dano bass in the last pic?

I also think he flattens the tone out, muted fuzz tone almost. Even on the solo it sounds like the tone knob is close to zero. This is just 100% speculation on my part.

Yep. I remember a doc about Tom Dowd and he was talking about that album. He had all these small amps that he liked to use and the boys came in with their stacks. The whole neighborhood could here them recording.

First stop.

I've just Emailed his official fan club.

If you get to meet him, I'll be pissed (in the American sense). Speaking of pissed, in the British sense, I was when I wrote one of the responses last night - should have been Valleys of Neptune, not Valleys of the moon for Jimi's recent release. I changed it.

Notes_Norton I couldn't agree more technique trumps tone but my band of Geezers plays covers as well as originals and while we are good technicians, great tone pushes a cover song over the edge. =D>

I have a 95 LP classic with ceramic humbuckers and my Mesa Stiletto Ace cranked with those incendiary buckers ought to do the trick. Thanks much for everyone's input. I can't wait to see if lashurst's efforts bear fruit, that is very cool.

<...>

Notes_Norton I couldn't agree more technique trumps tone but my band of Geezers plays covers as well as originals and while we are good technicians, great tone pushes a cover song over the edge. =D>

<...>

I can't argue with that at all. It's nice to have both.

I do think that as long as your tone is "in the ball park" it's good enough for the audience. Of course, it isn't good enough for the musician, but we listen with different ears.

For example; what tone is better, Clapton, Page, Beck, Harrison, Hendrix, Vaughn, _____ (insert anyone else), and on which performance and which guitar? Ask 10 people and probably get at least 9 answers. Following that train of thought, what the musician thinks is the best tone for the song, will probably be agreed on by a minority of the people who actually care about it.

But then again, it doesn't matter as long as it's in the ballpark.

And how many extremely popular singers don't have great voices? Rod Stewart, Stevie Nicks, Doctor John, John Lennon, immediately come to mind. But they express themselves to enough people to become extremely popular.

So for me it's technique first, and then tone. Once the tone is "in the ball park" it's good enough for the audience, and the rest is for my own personal tastes.

I can't argue with that at all. It's nice to have both.

I do think that as long as your tone is "in the ball park" it's good enough for the audience. Of course, it isn't good enough for the musician, but we listen with different ears.

For example; what tone is better, Clapton, Page, Beck, Harrison, Hendrix, Vaughn, _____ (insert anyone else), and on which performance and which guitar? Ask 10 people and probably get at least 9 answers. Following that train of thought, what the musician thinks is the best tone for the song, will probably be agreed on by a minority of the people who actually care about it.

But then again, it doesn't matter as long as it's in the ballpark.

And how many extremely popular singers don't have great voices? Rod Stewart, Stevie Nicks, Doctor John, John Lennon, immediately come to mind. But they express themselves to enough people to become extremely popular.

So for me it's technique first, and then tone. Once the tone is "in the ball park" it's good enough for the audience, and the rest is for my own personal tastes.

Great insights and points. Cheers

Back then Jack Bruce used both Danelectro and Gibson basses.

And he tore it up too. He actually wrote the song riff for this song. He was (is) both bass and rhythm section combined in my opinion - I forget I'm listening to a 3 piece band.

Archived