Gibson Brands Forums

guitar stand recommendation

dadeedo

The stands I use are Hercules mini stands that don't support the neck. They are great stands in a controlled area, but probably not suitable if there is a lot of traffic in the room where the guitar is stored or pets with wild tails and that sort of thing.

I do know they have no impact on nitro finishes, and they don't cause any wear points.

http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS401B.html

There are many more at the site including multi-guitar racks and that sort of thing. I also swear by their mic stands - especially the booms and have been using them for more than ten years.

Yeah - lean it against the wall, pick it up, play it. Don't worry about the finish.

Removed in response to Rosewoody's quite correct chastisement.....

It's a guitar - its designed to be picked up, played, put down, without any real problems.

As another poster says - just play the durned thing - or words to that effect.

Chin chin.....

If you dislike broken headstocks, a stand beats leaning your guitar against the wall. I like the Italian Quik Lok, and it hasn't affected nitro finish like some I've seen.

Smart aleck responses about dirty tires and broken eggs are not really helpful. Respecting (not worshipping) a guitar or any other tool is simple common sense.

Apologies ballcorner - it was not intended as sarcasm, rather to drive home the point I was trying to make.....

That a guitar is designed to be picked up, handled and played, rubbing against clothing and belt buckles, occasionally leant on, taking the odd knock and generally suffering the rigours of playing. They are tough, and resilient, especially the good maker's pieces. And I rank Gibson up at the top in the toughness stakes.

Rosewoody makes a point about headstock breakage. But in fifty (50) years of playing I have only had one neck break on me, because the guitar, on it's stand, had me sit on it after a drunk fell against me and pushed me over. The stand bent and broke. The guitar (an SG) had the headstock glued back, the fingerboard and frets adjusted, and played as well as before, and the re-laquer which followed almost hid the damage completely. The guy I sold it to had to have it pointed out to him before he noticed it at all.

I just grow weary of the over-protective philosophy of some players. I respect (in fact - I love and cherish) my guitars as creative tools and pleasure-givers, but I also respect the strength and resilience buit into them by the luthiers, and the fact that their prime raison-d'etre is to be played.

As for stands - any half decent stand will do the job, and all mine have foam sleeves added wherever the guitar comes into contact with them. I use the pipe-insulating plastic foam - it is a bit fat at 2" diameter, but soon settles down into a shape that holds the guitar snugly.

Sorry to offend you all.....

Any offense forgotten.

I have unfortunately seen several really nice pieces fall over and crack at the stock. Gibsons are weaker than, say Martins, e.g., at that point because of the headstock angle and the routed channel which accomodates the adjusting nut. The Quik lok is just a base, with no neck support---it just provides a relatively safe place to park your guitar in the room or on stage. But nothing short of an Anvil case is going to keep any guitar safe from carelessness. I once saw someone step into the soundhole of a Takamine laying flat on the floor; ugly.

Some stands have rubber that absolutely dissolves laquer. Some of the worst are the wall mounted units found in music stores. It is a good idea to check before leaving a nitro finished guitar cradled in an unfriendly stand for any length of time. The melting laquer is just nasty.

I'm with you Therm on the overprotection--which is why I like to keep the guit on a stand instead of in a case all the time. There are few things more attractive than a well-worn, well-used, unabused guitar. Mint guitars belong in the retail shops.

I have the regular stands that hang from the headstock. They are very sturdy. All I did was to grab some cotton flannel from an old shirt I no longer wore, and cut some strips, wrapped and tied them where the guitar contact's any rubber. It could be very well that the rubber on these stands would have no effect on the guitar, but I am not taking chances on the Nitro finished guitars I own, (two of them). The Taylor UV finish would be unaffected by anything, but I still take no chance especially when the solution is so simple. See my signature for a photo of two of my guitars (The two Nitro finished) on those stands. I also found a furry glove type thing at my music store that slides onto the top holder and they were cheap and effective for added protection.

Why do they sell products that hurt guitars? (rubber stands' date=' silicone polish, etc.)

Shouldn't they know better? Is it too much to ask that we trust their R&D department?[/quote']

My guess is that they are manufacturs not guitar players. That is why it is important to get good information from sites like this one on the dangers that can happen to our precious guitars! I would rather be safe than sorry. I just spent several hours today, buffing out the finish on certain areas of my Gibson AJ that were affected by bug spray about a month ago. I had to wait for the Nitro to reharden and then used Meguires #7 and #9 and finished up with a nice carnuba wax. While the residue from the DEET is not 100% gone, it is much, much better than right after it happened. Damn mosquitos! And I am not so happy with nitrocellouse finishes either right now. My Taylor's UV finish would not be affected by the DEET or rubber stands.

Stay vigilant folks! Our good wood is at stake!

eusa_wall.gif

Why do they sell products that hurt guitars? (rubber stands' date=' silicone polish, etc.)

Shouldn't they know better? Is it too much to ask that we trust their R&D department?[/quote']

My thought on your questions is if you buy a $10 hanger or a $15 stand, perhaps it is reasonable to assume the product has been designed for the $125 guitar - and therefore not tested on the boutique-quality instrument.

My thought on your questions is if you buy a $10 hanger or a $15 stand' date=' perhaps it is reasonable to assume the product has been designed for the $125 guitar - and therefore not tested on the boutique-quality instrument.

[/quote']

Does that mean, I need to buy a $200 guitar stand/hanger for my J45??

I have been using a Ultimate GS-100... and very pleased with it..

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/s.nl/it.A/id.825/.f?sc=14&category=41

But then I moved into a new house.. and want to have hangers for my guitars...

I was thinking of getting a few of these...

http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GSP38WB.html

I looked around.. and it was $15 a piece...

I am wondering if I should rethink about buying this...:S

My favorites are the Hercules poducts, and the 3 guitar stand in particular. They've got a great self locking mechanism and a surface that absolutley does not affect any guitar finish (varnish and nitro on my guitars)

GS432BMain.jpg

Yet with having 2 dogs' date=' soon to be 3... does not allow me to use guitar stands anymore..

It is way to dangerous.... Hopefully hangers would solve this problem for me..[/quote']

No 335, sorry you haven't quite got the idea here!

We have 3 dogs as well and leaving the guitars on stands, in open tuning of course, can result in some strange sounds produced by wagging tails!

Seriously though folks, being me, I had NO idea about rubber v lacquer etc. I have three "Stagg" stands which will be going to the bootfair by the sound of it!

Guitars going back in cases.

BR

John

Seriously though folks' date=' being me, I had NO idea about rubber v lacquer etc.

John[/quote']

Some rubber is worse than others. And there may be other factors that aggravate the problem, like heat and sunlight. But I do know that the finish Gibson uses (and higher end Martins, Fender "custom shop," Guilds, and some other nitro finished instruments) can get marred by rubber and especially vinyl, such as the backing on some straps. Also dangerous is insect repellant. It is also a bad idea to apply cologne or aftershave to your guitar. I wouldn't even put a plastic baggie against a guitar.

My Crow has a finish reaction scar under each "wing" of the headstock where it had hung in a store.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I picked up a Hercules stand (and a hanger) yesterday. I set them up, hung out my guitars, and can now add my endorsement. They are both well-designed and stable as a rock. With the assurance of the specially formulated foam rubber, I won't be concerned about damage to the finish on my Gibson 00 or my Santa Cruz D.

Plus, now that I can keep them out of their cases (for the non-heating season anyway), I'll expect to be playing them both a lot more. And that is the objective.

DDD

The three Stagg stands - how much do you want for them.....

Can't find one so there are only two.

What I want for them depends on what you want to do with em.

1. If they are for your use then I want a bottle of Penasol (or similar) 4 glasses around a kitchen table.

2. If you want to sell em on I will split it with you

J

Hmmm - I like the style of your bargaining sir.

Again, hmmm - tricky though, the intended usage falls betwixt the two stools mentioned. I want them to take to fairs to stand guitars on for selling the guitars, and inbetween fairs to stand said 'for sale' axes on. Last fair I had three electrics for sale, and only one (spare) stand to take.

So the way I see it is - we split the difference:

One bottle of Penasol for the stands. eusa_whistle.gif

One bottle of Penasol for every guitar sold off the stands. =D>

One bottle of Penasol for general all round good luck. [-o<

One bottle of Penasol for the road. =P~

I have a hangover just THINKING about it !

Short of a stand made from a 3/4" pipe welded to a truck rim, I wouldn't trust a stand to hold my guit tar for indefinite periods of time. They're all too tippy.

Concerned about the 'non marring' parts marring your guit tar's finish? Cover it with leather or wrap yard around it.

Archived