Gibson Brands Forums

Tune-O-Matic Bridge on an SJ200?

albertjohn

Macaris in Charing Cross Road.

In their window they had a 12 string Hummingbird and an SJ200 which had a tune-o-matic bridge/saddle - yes just like my old ES335!

I had never seen either of these in the flesh before. I knew they produced a 12er Bird but never seen that saddle on an acoustic. And this was a brand new guitar too.

Is this a new idea or something Gibson have done in the past?

Not a new idea, nor a particularly good one in terms of tone. They introduced and had the tune-a-matic bridge on some models in the '60s, I want to say starting about 1964. I don't know that they retained that bridge past about 1970, but maybe it was available as a option, because certainly, not all Gibson acoustics had it.

Generally considered to be a tone-stealing dumb idea; nevertheless, I have played a Gibson or two with that bridge, and they -- despite the wisdom of the ages -- sounded pretty good. Go figure, but there it is!

So, in slavish obedience to tradition, I guess there were a number of re-issues produced at Bozeman, I think including the Pete Townshend J-200 model. I think his was a '66 or a '68, something like that. A mid-sixties re-issue was also built for the Japanese market where attention to detail was paramount.

Speaking of which, if only my '51 J-185 re-issue had the slot-through saddle....<sigh>

Fred

Adding the Tune-o-matic was part of the suite of disastrous changes made to the J-200 in 1961. I think it remained (at least as an an option) until Bozeman took over guitar production.

This wasn't Gibson's worst idea ever, but it's up there.

-- Bob R

Adding the Tune-o-matic was part of the suite of disastrous changes made to the J-200 in 1961. I think it remained (at least as an an option) until Bozeman took over guitar production.

This wasn't Gibson's worst idea ever, but it's up there.

-- Bob R

No that honor would probably go to the floating brace they screwed to the top of the J-200 in 1961. Luckily, it was easy to remove.

Macaris in Charing Cross Road.

In their window they had a 12 string Hummingbird and an SJ200 which had a tune-o-matic bridge/saddle - yes just like my old ES335!

I had never seen either of these in the flesh before. I knew they produced a 12er Bird but never seen that saddle on an acoustic. And this was a brand new guitar too.

Is this a new idea or something Gibson have done in the past?

PM me if you recall what they were asking for the 'bird .....PF?

Mucko grassyarse!

I played a vintage one with a tune-o-matic bridge just last week in a music store. I was very surprised how much it deadened the volume for such a large guitar. I've played a few J-200s over the years without tune-o-matics and seem to recall those were really booming loud guitars.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

PM me if you recall what they were asking for the 'bird .....PF?

Mucko grassyarse!

From memory, it was in the mid £2ks. Lovely looking beast and a brand new custom order. Expect they'll do some kind of deal though. Let me know if you fancy a trip so we can both give it a once over.

I'll swing by and check the price next time I'm passing.

Archived