Gibson Brands Forums

Fender's revolution :)

Silenced Fred

So I took my drummer to SamAsh to buy some metal drumsticks because he keeps breaking his wood ones. You can get replacement shafts and tips for like 5 bucks when you do wear em down or whatever. He plays hard, I'm so proud of him [biggrin]

But anyways, I walk into the guitar section and see a shiny new Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster. I have to play this. Ask the guy for a cable, plug into a Vox AC4 (I use it for demoing guitars in stores so I have a constant on what to compare them to) and I start playing. The pickups didn't sound bad, the neck was good, but for some reason, the bridge sucked. both e strings kept popping out, the slots were barely even cut and it was way off. Now, I have to say it might have been SamAsh, but I was just in the store about three days prior and that guitar wasn't on the shelves, so I know it didn't get played a lot. I think I'm going to save up for MIJ 66 RI Jazzmaster instead, double the price, but made in Japan, full on circuitry, and it doesn't have that weird bridge on it.

Now, this was my personal experience and I doubt all of them are like this, and I have never gotten accused of playing too lightly on the strings so YMMV, but I think it is definitely worth a look. I am now sold on the circuitry on a jazzmaster, but if you aren't, this guitar is for you if you want that single coil sound. I actually like humbucker in the bridge, and it would be awesome if someone coil tapped it just because they could

The Jazzmaster is a great and sometimes underrated guitar...originally created to compete with Gibson etc archtop jazz guitars which Fender had no counter to.

The string popping out is a well known issue related to string gauges and sometimes poor QC.

What I really like about the standard model is the fat P90 ish tone and great comfortable body shape...it was originally offered as upmarket from the Strat

And the harmonic overtones resulting from the (behind the bridge) string vibrations. [biggrin]

:-({|=

I have one of those guitars and I love it, get the buzz stop, it's an add on that increases the downward tension and prevents the strings from popping out. I had the same issue. The pickups in the Blacktop JM are great IMO, and it's an all around success. Not so sure about the other Blacktop models, but that JM is just dead sexy and has some killer tones, especially on the JM neck pup

I think I am going to go with either the Classic Player or a MIJ model, simply because I want the circuits. However, that guitar is fantastic for the money. And like I said, I'm sure it was something else contributing to the bridge issue and it isn't 'standard' on those models, but I really liked em.

I think I am going to go with either the Classic Player or a MIJ model, simply because I want the circuits. However, that guitar is fantastic for the money. And like I said, I'm sure it was something else contributing to the bridge issue and it isn't 'standard' on those models, but I really liked em.

Actually, that bridge issue is a known Achilles heel with that trem and bridge combo. I did some digging cause the high e was popping off on any bends above the 12th fret.

I found thisbzstp2.JPG

Ultimately it looks like this

63jaguarclosewbuzzstop.jpg

Not on a Blacktop, but you get the idea that it's a cross platform issue

http://www.northcoastmusic.com/buzzstop/

Actually, that bridge issue is a known Achilles heel with that trem and bridge combo. I did some digging cause the high e was popping off on any bends above the 12th fret.

I found thisbzstp2.JPG

Ultimately it looks like this

63jaguarclosewbuzzstop.jpg

Gotcha. I will pick one of those up, but I still want the other circuitry. Before I was against it, but now that I know how to use it :-$

I found thisbzstp2.JPG

There is a much cheaper option and just as effective:

jaguarfull.jpg

I don't remember where the foam came from but it was sticky on one side so I put it on the plate and it works perfectly.

The bridges are s design flaw on the Jazzmasters and Jaguars that Fender hasn't bothered to fix after 50+ years. Both are my favorite Fenders because of feel and looks. There are two fixes

- The bar Zonkers recommended

- You can put a Mustang bridge on it. The saddles are different and tend not to allow the strings to slip out. I don't think a tune-o-matic will work because the fretboard is arched. Not sure what they did for the J. Mascis model.

It not a jazzmaster...doesnt sound like any of the ones ive ever played...its just the shape of the body with shity pups.

Wow, ok, not hugged enough as a child? Hugged in a wrong way? The Blacktop Jazzmaster is a damn fine guitar stock (save for the addition of the buzz stop)

Good luck with your bitter-management sessions.

Wow, ok, not hugged enough as a child? Hugged in a wrong way? The Blacktop Jazzmaster is a damn fine guitar stock (save for the addition of the buzz stop)

Good luck with your bitter-management sessions.

No i was hugged alot.

Why you want pics? [biggrin]

That's great that Gibson members are providing some valuable input on Fender JM guitars. IMO, you should address these issues on the Fender Forums; other Fender JM owners would benefit from your input. As for me, I'm sticking with U.S. instruments.

That's great that Gibson members are providing some valuable input on Fender JM guitars. IMO, you should address these issues on the Fender Forums; other Fender JM owners would benefit from your input. As for me, I'm sticking with U.S. instruments.

IMO the lounge is for members to discuss whatever they want. Rules say stay away from politics, religion etc. Nowhere does it say we can't talk about other guitars. Click on a different thread if that "F" word offends you.

Thanks for telling me how to post.

I find interest in the forums here, because IMO ( :rolleyes:) I get better information here than I have on Fender Forums... I have an account and hardly use it

Just as an aside....

I find it very easy to sound a bit like Hendrix (tonewise) on my Std JM

The PUs are really nice and respond well to firm pick technique.... [thumbup]

:-({|=

My Gibby LPC and SG200 can achieve fender tones, but any fender I have played, cant pull of the Gibby LPC thickness and bite.... Also the necks and fretboards feel weird to me on all fenders that I have played.

My Gibby LPC and SG200 can achieve fender tones, but any fender I have played, cant pull of the Gibby LPC thickness and bite.... Also the necks and fretboards feel weird to me on all fenders that I have played.

Different tools for different applications.

I want a J-master and an SG, alos a P93 Riviera Custom, and a Sheraton

Different tools for different applications.

I want a J-master and an SG, alos a P93 Riviera Custom, and a Sheraton

When you start playing live, you'll try to avoid changing guitars. Plus unless you have a dedicated guitar tech watching your stuff, it can be scary bringing too many guitars, because there are sticky finger a-holes looking for an opportunity to rip you off.

Archived