Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with household / garden repair

TommyK

I was trimming the trees this weekend. I have one of those long limb loppers on a pole. Quite literally, I bit off more than it could chew. I broke the head off'n it.

This isn't a very expensive model. It is a telescoping fiberglass pole. The upper section is hollow, about 1" diameter. The mechanism has a socket that fits over the hollow pole and with two bolts clamps itself to the top. The clamping collapsed the normally round hollow upper section. I pulled so hard that it broke the fiberglass at the base of the socket part of the mechanism.

I'd like to cut the section off clean, then insert a properly sized wooden dowel rod into the upper 2 or 3 feet to reinforce it.

I'm certain a hack saw could cut through it, but the fiberglass will undoubtedly fray and split the fiberglass tube. The wall is rather thin.

Can anybody tell me how to cut it cleanly?

I worked in the summers with my grandfather who was a carpenter. He would do remodels and use

fiberglass sheets as a skylight for shop areas. He would put masking tape on the fiberglass sheets

on both sides so as to cover his cut with a fine tooth saw blade. As I remember it was for the same

purpose to control the splintering of the fiberglass. The Dremel tool sounds like the tool

to use for the cut or a Hacksaw with a 32 tooth blade

I've given up on cordless screwdrivers. I'm back to using a 'Yankee'. Great tool.

Actually, I think the screw driver has been supplanted by the ..... power driver.

The Yankee Screwdriver -- the ORIGINAL cordless screw driver. I've got two. and a brace for boring holes. That's just the Luddite in me. [cool]

Dude who are you?

Are you some old forum member that got butt hurt by me?

If so lets settle this then.

Actually, no. I was serious when I meant that you know a lot. You do. I find it highly disrespectful that you think there is something to settle when there is not. Perhaps you do suffer from too much tension. I won't give you another thought of any kind ever, a comment like that is pointless, so whatever.

Actually, no. I was serious when I meant that you know a lot. You do. I find it highly disrespectful that you think there is something to settle when there is not. Perhaps you do suffer from too much tension. I won't give you another thought of any kind ever, a comment like that is pointless, so whatever.

Best not to poke this one damian. [sneaky]

Archived