Gibson Brands Forums

Does Gibson Make Flatwound Strings?

Peacefield

I'm the happy owner of a Lucille these past ten years or so. The way I play, I tend to do a lot of sliding and dragging of my fingers along the strings. The original BBK strings were VERY squeaky for me. For most of the time since that initial set, I've been playing GHS strings because of their process of flattening the strings a little. They sound very good and are pretty squeak-less. I was thinking I might like to go back to a set of Gibson strings, but I'm definitely not a candidate for traditional roundwound strings. Does anyone know if Gibson offers strings that minimize this problem?

Thanks.

yeah I thought Gibson just had other companies make their strings but put their names on it.

I prefer D'Addario for flatwounds, I put them on an Ibanez 335 clone and they sounded great.

I think DR may make some, could be wrong, but I also don't remember seeing Ernie Ball making them.

These are the strings that many of the 60's recording artist used, The Beatles used them for most of their early work and while recording. For many years you couldn't find them in the US, but now they are back.

http://www.pyramidst.../st-guitar.html

Thanks for sharing that. I often wondered the same question as well..

Thanks for sharing that. I often wondered the same question as well..

I used flat wounds "back in the day"..I liked them a lot, but one reason they are not as popular in rockn' roll as they once were is they don't respond well to bending...for that reason D'Addario XL Half Rounds are a safe compromise...but try out a set of flats you may not go back to rounds..

I used flat wounds "back in the day"..I liked them a lot, but one reason they are not as popular in rockn' roll as they once were is they don't respond well to bending...for that reason D'Addario XL Half Rounds are a safe compromise...but try out a set of flats you may not go back to rounds..

I will do just that and let you know what I think of them... Thanks again

I read somewhere that Gibson no longer makes their strings either.

Yeah G-Man, that was here.

The plant in Elgin, Illinois was shuttered a couple years ago.

At least that's what I understand.

All the biz contact info I found in a quick web search was out-dated.

Archived